Shakedown Trip

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by NLB, Nov 10, 2021.

1. NLB

NLB Member Silver Supporting Member

At Jonathan Dickinson, Jupiter FL. Turned on roof air, it filled my pup with smoke. Weather is great, lots of empty sites although the SP web showing mostly full. Will try to find out why that is.

Attached Files:

2. LilRed

LilRed Well-Known Member

Ooof. Not a fun experience! Considering the A/C is only recirculating inside air, I can assume it was not nearby campfire smoke you were experiencing...

NLB likes this.
  3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

What was the smoke from?

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. Unfortunately a lot of this is people who reserve sites for two weeks and only show up for two days without cancelling their remaining days. Sadly it is a common problem. Some state parks don't do anything about it because they paid for the site. Some other parks will cancel the site if they get a no shows. Glad you were able to find a site and get a decent shake down trip in. Sorry to hear about the AC though. Good luck and happy camping.

Rik Peery and NLB like this.
  5. NLB

Clearly electrical sadly.
    My guess is compressor. Fan Only mode is ok.

6. davido

davido Well-Known Member

Many campgrounds I visit have a policy of dropping your reservation if you are not there the first night, or if you're gone for more than 24 hours at any point during the stay. Though such policies may be in place it depends on the host implementing it.

7. NLB

Spoke to a ranger, said there are sites that they hold back for walk-ins, and in case they have to move someone due to utility issue or a problem with a neighbor.
    Since I live 10 miles from this SP, I will just show up to make a reservation.

8. NLB

Removed A/C shroud and found this mess. Ordered new set from Amazon, hopefully the compressor is not damaged.

Attached Files:

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

Don't hate the player, hate the game. For example campsites that have a rolling 90 day window, but let you reserve up to 2 weeks once the first day of the window opens. I was watching sites start to get scarce over the 4th of July last year and we booked 10 days just so we could camp 5 days over the 4th. A few weeks later we called and tried to shorten the reservation and were told that they couldn't do that... we'd have to cancel and re-book the trip. Well i wasn't going to risk that for $20/night.

And when we got there, at least half the campground was empty, some not showing up until a night or two before the 4th. So plenty of people play that game. I do feel bad for people who just want a campsite the last week of June at that campground.

PopUpSteve likes this.