Shamrock 231KS frig vent

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by flibox, Aug 20, 2019.

1. flibox

flibox New Member

We just purchased a used 2016 Shamrock hybrid. I removed the top refrigerator vent to install insect screens and found the opening partially blocked by a piece of paneling the same as the material used in the storage compartments as dividers to protect hoses, wires, vent lines, etc. Was this installed at the factory? It seems pretty strange , just wondered if anyone else has the same situation. Thanks, Steve

Attached Files:

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

That seems odd.

3. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

That's simply a weak attempt to baffle the fridge so air will flow properly over the cooling fins.

4. flibox

flibox New Member

I know you really can't answer this question but do you think this was a factory "band aid" and I should just leave it in place?

5. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Can't say, could have been the previous owner.

I've personally never had to improve the baffling with any 2-way fridge in travel trailers that we've owned but did have to with the 3-way fridges installed in the popups we've owned. The Dometic RM2193 that was in our 2003 Yuma is an example - pics start here, click on "i" at the top right of any pic for a text description.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=eFp1bWxsNDZ2VndGVFgtX1kwODlVNXUweGE1Yzdn

6. flibox

flibox New Member

If the dam was made of anything other than the 1/8" thick light ply found in the storage compartments, I'd give the original owner credit. He wouldn't have had access to the material, he just would have used whatever he had on hand or something he could get at the lumber yard. Kind of a mystery.

7. flibox

flibox New Member

I contacted Forest River and they promptly responded that Dometic recommends reducing the size of the upper vent to improve air flow. Sometimes the simplest fixes are the best. If you're a "the glass is half empty" sort of guy, you might view this a cheap fix to keep an appliance of marginal quality functioning at a level that will satisfy the minimal expectations of the customer until the manufactures one year warranty expires.

neighbormike likes this.