Shawne Crowell State Park Review and question about Mass State park's

Discussion in 'Massachusetts' started by UltrRnner87, Aug 10, 2015.

1. UltrRnner87

UltrRnner87 New Member

[CP]Hi, did 3 night's at the state forest kind of last minute, originally going to camp at Burlingame but the park closed day's camping due to weather.

I am so glad had the chance to camp at my first Mass. park. First the price is only $2 more than camping in a CT park well worth the extra travel time and cost.

Bathrooms were cleaner than any state park I have been in. The grounds were quite for the most part. Also camping at the state forest allowed free beach access to Scusset State Park, can't beat that.

Only a few downsides about the park, but minot not a huge deal. CT park's been to have a washing station with sink and all. At the park was a spigot not expecting that. Noise level on the weekends.

Originally only planned to spend two night's. However, seeing the weather improve picked another site. Found it odd theu said campground was full, but noticed a lot of empty campgrounds.

Anyways first site was on the far ends of the park. Can hear traffic on the main roads echo in, but wasn't terribly loud and the train made for a great laugh/also way to keep track of time

First site was up on a hill very private mean we're near three to four site's, but not on tip of each other. However, second site was close to the first site, but near the camp road. Also a bit close to a camp area directly across the dirt road leading to the site. This site was noisy made it difficult to sleep.

With this site had to deal with Rangers saying music was too loud at 9 PM however the music was at the level played at last two night's. Figure close proximity to people probably was moire audible. However, it is much quite on the grounds during the week. Saturday night dealt with cats going around the Cul-de-sac where we were. Cars coming up the dirt road and slamming car door's. Heard loud music up until at least 1 AM at another site, at one point heard them playing a Saxophone. It kind of irked me the Rangers came to us to turn down the music, but they were loud. Kind of figured they were the ones who called on us.

Any who overall experience was positive. The Rangers and staff were very pleasant great people!

I really look forward to camping more in Massachusetts. That leads into my questions about Mass Park's. If you camp at a Mass Park are you normally granted free aces to state beaches? Any recommendations of parks in Maas to camp at? How is Nickerson State Park? What is Safari camping?

Appreciate the feedback and have a good one.

2. B.T.Brews

B.T.Brews New Member

Glad to see this post. I'm currently camping a few miles up the road from Shawme Crowell. I drive by it all the time and have often wondered what it's like. My in laws have a 2nd home on the cape which they bought after camping for many many years at private camp grounds on the cape. On of which I am now laying in Peter's Pond camp ground. Thanks for the info. I'm not sure about the beach access. I would figure your camping pass may work at any DCR tun beach. You'll not find regular public access at many beaches on the cape. You need a resident sticker at most.

3. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

Glad you enjoyed. I do not know the answers to your questions. Most parks have dishwashing stations. At Salisbury Beach State Reservation part if the park is camping, part is day use ocean beach, you can go to that part if the park with your camping pass. Scusset has a nice campground too, walking distance to the canal to watch the boats. Nickerson is huge and wooded, quite nice. I believe safari camping is in a field without hookups.
    You should join us at the Vermont Rally!
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=91634.0