Shawnee NF Pounds Hollow Recreation area Karbers Ridge, IL

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by CamperMike, Jun 30, 2015.

1. CamperMike

CamperMike Member

We stayed here last weekend and had a great time. The campground is small, only about 15 sites were open when we were there. They can open 22 more non-electric if it gets busy. Most of the sites that were open when we visited were electric. There's no shower or dump station, but the pit toilets are very new and they keep them clean. The whole campground is lightly shaded but not dark. Most of the sites would accomodate a popup, but a few are best for tents only. The cost was only $10. One other tip: Get some firewood in one of the small towns before you get there. None is sold in the campground, and the closest place I found is the small gas station ~ 10 minutes west of the campground. You can gather wood, but if that's all you have it gets to be a bit of a chore.
    In the park, there is a nice lake with a good swimming area and decent fishing. There's also some hiking around the lake and a trail to Rim Rock recreation area. One of the best things about camping here is all of the other areas around there to see. Rim Rock is < 1 mile away and a nice trail. About 10-15 minutes away is Garden of the Gods which is spectacular. Garden of the gods also has a small campground that looks nice, but doesn't have any electric. We also visited Bell Smith Springs recreation area, which is ~50 minutes away. It has outstanding hiking, a few swimming holes in the various streams, and is worth the trip. It also has a small campground that looked nice, but again no electric. Cave-in-rock state park is about 25 minutes away and a neat thing to see. There are also many additional things to see in the area that we didn't have a chance to get to. Overall, definitely worth the trip!

2. Furdy

Furdy Member

CamperMike:

When you were at Bell Smith Springs you were only 5 miles from Glendale Lake. This is a USFS campground and it is wonderful. Ice and firewood is for sale at the host camper's site who are a real nice couple. The lake has a very nice beach with concessions, lifeguards and sand that is tilled and dragged each night. There are 40 sites with electric and water in the midst of a great wooded area located across the lake from the beach.

One of our favorites!

3. CamperMike

CamperMike Member

I'll have to check it out... I really liked Pounds hollow though, especially how remote it was. That said, I also like to try different campgrounds and really did enjoy Bell Smith Springs... so if it's close to there it would be a plus.