Sheets, pillowcases, blankets... or Sleeping Bags!

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by chasw98, Jan 29, 2013.

1. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

The last thing I want to do is wash sleeping bags so we use sheets and blankets. The blankets/quilts stay in the camper and the sheets are pulled out and washed. The blankets are washed at the of the season but rarely before then.

2. chrisincamp

chrisincamp New Member

In Kentucky with it's humidity-
    For summer (70 degrees and up): Sheets We use A/C on sweltering nights.
    For early spring or late fall (30-50 degrees): Bags

Below 30, we don't go! [:D]

3. Bjess

Bjess Quiet Time

DW likes the blanket. Me and the kids do the sleeping bags. It keeps the camping feel to things. In the winter I am in the bag and summer unzipped used like a blanket (unless the AC is cranked up). We always put fitted sheets on the mattress and keep the pillows in the pup with everything.

4. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Active Member

Chuck, I don't know if you've discovered that the "double-wide" option doesn't work very well with these sleeping bags. Heck, you may not even have a need for that option. But anyway, this is the review I just submitted on Amazon, where I bought two of the Tumbler 50/70 sleeping bags a couple of weeks ago:

A couple of weeks ago we ordered and received two of these sleeping bags. But we discovered while camping last weekend the Tumbler 50/70 is actually meant as a bag for one person. From the product description: Two bags can be zipped together to create a double-wide. Yes, two bags do indeed zip together; however, when this is done the warm temp side and the cool temp side do not match. In other words, when used as a double-wide, one person will have the warmer side on top and the sheet side underneath while the other person will have the sheet side up and the warmer side underneath. I called Kelty today and the Rep I spoke with confirmed this was the case, and told me she would report it to the Project Engineer. Note: both the Amazon and the Kelty websites specifically state it will work as a double-wide. I imagine that will change in the near future. But I have to say it would work very well for one person. It's very well-made and nice and light.

Sadly, I packed them up and sent them back to Amazon today. So I'm still on the lookout for two summer-weight bags that can be zipped together.

5. mainahman

mainahman All the worlds indeed a stage

6. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Fitted sheet, top sheet, and my new favorite blanket. Thanks Cakelady!!! :)

[​IMG]

7. apesydaisy

apesydaisy New Member

I don't like sleeping bags because I always feel confined so I prefer sheets and blankets personally.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

8. va3rbz

va3rbz New Member

Sleeping bags all the way! I come from a backpacking/canoeing background, so it only feels like camping in a bag. Plus, they just look cool in the trailer :)

[​IMG]

9. cowboy11753

cowboy11753 WD, SCJ and HRH Charles the Furball

We are both fresh air freaks (that's why we have a PUP!) and so no matter how cold it gets and believe me it gets frigid here in AZ at night in the winter and very early spring, we do not turn on the furnace until one of us gets up to make coffee.

So, to keep all of our body parts, excluding our noses which are pressed to the screen or canvas, all the better to inhale cold fresh air, nice and toasty, we have a feather bed on the bottom of our king size bunk end, Egyptian sheets, goose down comforter next, feather pillows and then a nice clean sheet on top of it all. With my portable radiant heater ever present (that would be DH), I am the happiest person alive. (42 years ago, we got double mummy bags for a wedding present - we used them so much they finally blew apart - feathers everywhere!) I would still use them but I can tell you that cold zipper was always a shock....

10. chasw98

chasw98 Chuck, Debbie, and grandson Jacob

I agree! I ordered mine from Kelty and when I got them I realized that these are not really "warm on one side, cool on the other". I returned them and they gave me my money back. As a matter of fact you can not even zip them together so that both sides are either cool or warm. They are not a true double sleeping bag. In the end we wound up finding an extremely lightweight 'true' double sleeping bag at Walmart for $25. We figured we could buy quite a few sets of them before feeling that they were too cheap.

We also have 2 other sets of zip together bags by North Face (very cold weather) and by Marmot (medium lightweight backpacking bags). The Walmart bags are serving us well seeing as we are in Florida where it is only kinda sorta cold one month a year.

Chuck

11. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@nancyanddan
    Check REI (regular and outlet) or Campmor, for rectangular or semi-rectangular bags. They have gotten more difficult to find over the years, we had to persist when we looked for new bags.

For year, our ground camping sleeping bags were 2 weights, zipped together. We flipped them for the current temperature. I also made a polarfleece liner for them, which added options, since I used two different weights of fleece on that too. When those bags wore out, it took a while to find new ones, and then we only got one temp range, but the liner made a big difference. A couple of years ago, we found semi-rectangular down bags from Kelty, to use for backpacking (I cannot sleep in a mummy bag, I barely make it in the looser rectangular ones - and not even then in a single bag, zipped up.)

12. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Active Member

13. chasw98

chasw98 Chuck, Debbie, and grandson Jacob

14. macamoose

macamoose New Member

We've only one trip under our belt, but definitely sheets and a comforter for us.

I've spent plenty of time in a sleeping bag already!

Thad

15. JETent

JETent JT

We use fitted sheets, regular sheets and either comforter or heavy duty sleeping bag (zipped all the way open) depending on the weather. On occasion, for cold weather hunting trips with the dudes, we will just sleep in sleeping bags on top of the bunk ends.

Being that we have surrendered to PUP camping (vs tent camping), we embrace the fitted sheets, top sheets, comforter and feather pillows. I mean, hey...Pop Ups kick ass.

Later,
    JT

16. FiveInAFlagstaff

FiveInAFlagstaff Member

We've only been out once so far in our PUP, but it was never a question, we've always been sheets and comforters, even when tent camping on air mattresses. DH can't sleep with his feet covered, and sleeping bags are hard for me to sleep in.
    While running a test set-up prior to our first camping trip, we made the beds with older sheet sets. One side is queen and one is king, but the queen size fit, since the mattress was only a few inches deep. I packed the twin and full size sheet sets for the other two beds (sofa and dining area) inside the PUP for later. We packed the comforters, blankets and pillows in the TV. Next trip, I'll be using our large and extra large space bags for these, to reduce bulk, and store extras during the day.
    I'm looking to purchase matching/coordinating sheet sets in a color that coordinates with our PUP interior, as well as comforters. I'm keeping an eye out at Costco for sheets, and probably Anna's Linens or sales for matching blankets and comforters. I've always wanted to take up quilting... My DH is shaking his poor head. Hey, a girl can dream, can't she? [:D]
    The PUP has heated mattresses, which we hope to try out in October! I'd like to put a feather bed on the mattress, but DH drew the line. Maybe an egg crate or memory foam during warmer months for comfort?

17. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@FiveinaFlagstaff

We don't have heated mattresses, but my suspicion is that egg crate or memory foam on top would insulate you from the warmth. We added memory foam, and have a heated mattress pad on top for cold weather trips with hookups, and it is very nice.

I have to admit, my coordinating pretty much ended at making the quilts, we searched for types of sheets then chose from the available covers. Since we like flannel most of the year, and fleece for cold weather, we're limited. The blankets are sale Polartec throws from the place that handles the Malden Mills excess, so our color choices have been limited there, too - but the Polartec is heaven as a blanket.

18. CalKat

CalKat Member

I have to have sheets. Sleeping bags are just too claustrophobic.

19. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

In the winter, I use two fleece sleeping bags zipped together and its quite comfortable and roomy, I can call it king sleeping bag!!!! in the summer, I use sheets and cover. Always need to use at least 3 pillows.

20. FiveInAFlagstaff

FiveInAFlagstaff Member

@kitphantom
    That's what I figured regarding the heated mattresses and a pad. So maybe just use the pad or foam when the weather is warm.
    Maybe if I were to get precut squares of fabric, I could make a simple quilt or two. Work gets in the way of all the fun stuff!