Sheets? Sleeping Bag?

Hawks

Jun 26, 2012
We use traditional sheets and the kids use sleeping bags on top of a fitted sheet.

When camping in early spring or late fall, I throw a couple of the hand warmer packages in the bottom of the kid's sleeping bags and that keeps them pretty warm :)

papachaz

Super Active Member
Jun 26, 2011
sheets and blankets for us. although in the winter, we have been known to unzip that big ole thick coleman sleeping bag all the way and use it as a blanket

JeepMama

Super Active Member
Jun 10, 2011
We like sheets in the summer. In the cooler temps I like a sheet with an opened sleeping bag.

Our boys like their Toy Story and Transformer fleece blankets.

CitaPita

May 31, 2012
King size sheets and heavy quilts for us. For pillows, we always bring along our pillow we use at home because both DH and I are picky about pillows.

When we were tent camping DH and I used a queen-size sleeping bag we had found years ago. It worked well for keeping us warm, but I never slept well in it because I like to stretch out when I sleep and the sleeping bag didn't let me do that.

shelmily

Super Active Member
Jun 7, 2012
Northeast Pennsylvania
Sheets and blankets here too. Like U-T said earlier, I don't like the constraints of sleeping bags either. My DD's tried the sleeping bags the first night we stayed in it, and decided against them from then on.

Andromedarl

May 14, 2012
Sheets(high thread count cotton) and down duvets + crocheted blankets (I've made) + a few Mexican blankets. It gets cold here at night and I sleep in shorts and a tank, my youngest in fleece sleepers and the eldest in fleece pants and top(or a tank top). Tent camping, I used to zip those two together in two sleeping bags in order to keep them warm(they're both very small, like no body fat).

I cannot stand sleeping bags. I hate how they feel, how they smell and the sound they make. I also do not like being confined like that :)

Spridle

Super Active Member
Jun 6, 2011
AMomInLove said:
We have sheets and duvets on top of memory foam :) DREAMY!!

We originally started with sleeping bags on top of the regular mattresses and have just progressed as the years passed I guess....

full memory foam or a memory foam topper on the regular mattresses? We need just a bit more cushion than the standard foam mattress but haven't decided which way to go yet. Kohls had some king size 2" memory foam toppers on sale but even the sale price was still pretty hefty.

BajaPup

Super Active Member
Apr 19, 2012
Sheets and a blanket, with sleeping bags along as a duvet.
You never know when the furnace will die.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Spridle said:
full memory foam or a memory foam topper on the regular mattresses? We need just a bit more cushion than the standard foam mattress but haven't decided which way to go yet. Kohls had some king size 2" memory foam toppers on sale but even the sale price was still pretty hefty.

We have a 2" topper on our pup mattress, and liked it so well we bought one for our home bed. The first topper, for the previous pup, I found one (1" thick, which was al lwe could fit) overstock.com, but found a place on ebay who sells made in the USA toppers and mattresses in various densities; we have bought 3 from them:
http://stores.ebay.com/usamadesleepymtnmattress
When the mattress that came with the pup wears out (it does not seem to be great quality), we'll probably go with a good Thermarest, topped with the memory foam.

I am in the crowd who don't like the restriction of sleeping bags, though we have found routines that will work for backpacking and ground camping. It is nice to have the greater choice of amount of covers. The wool-filled quilt we had on the trip last month was great, it was the first trip with that (I need to finish quilting the fraternal twin for the smaller bunk.)

BajaPup

Super Active Member
Apr 19, 2012
On sleeping bags -

For those of you that find them too confining, I suggest shopping for square/rectangular cut bags instead of the more restrictive mummy cut. Also, some bags can be zipped together to form a large duvet, or a single, large bag. This would give you the ability to have traditional bedding, with the option of changing over to a bag (or bags) if temperatures required more warmth.

Here's a candidate:
http://www.rei.com/product/808847/rei-siesta-20-sleeping-bag

Something to consider before spending a lot on a traditional duvet.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
BajaPup said:
On sleeping bags -

For those of you that find them too confining, I suggest shopping for square/rectangular cut bags instead of the more restrictive mummy cut. Also, some bags can be zipped together to form a large duvet, or a single, large bag. This would give you the ability to have traditional bedding, with the option of changing over to a bag (or bags) if temperatures required more warmth.

Here's a candidate:
http://www.rei.com/product/808847/rei-siesta-20-sleeping-bag

Something to consider before spending a lot on a traditional duvet.

Availability of rectangular or semi-rectangular bags of reasonable quality and weight has varied through the years, since we've worn out at least 3 sets. We finally found semi-rectangular down bags for backpacking last year (I crawled out of the mummy, even when we had them zipped together), though it is still the slick nylon lining I dislike (we've had a couple with sanded nylon, which is softer and not so slippery).

BajaPup

Super Active Member
Apr 19, 2012
I may have a solution for you! I've used a Sea to Summit CoolMax liner for years. It adds little weight or bulk for backpacking, but makes the interior much more comfortable. I also like using it as a light blanket, leaving the bag completely open, or sleeping on top of it. Of course, it also helps keep my bags clean, too. I've also used the liner when sleeping in a few nasty motels.

I've seen them in several stores, and Sea to Summit makes a lot of different models. Check one out and see if it'll work for you.
http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/54

BajaPup

Super Active Member
Apr 19, 2012

PATMD

SOILENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!
Feb 16, 2009
EDEN, NORTH CAROLINA
I tried sheets for 2 years but did not like the dampness of them when it rained or on dewy nights. plus i can't stand making my bed when i'm on vacation! I went back to flanel lined sleeping bags ( extra wide size ) where 2 can be zipped together to make a super large bag (double bag), or one bag can be used by itself. on hot nights i will open up one bag all the way and lay that on the matress and just use a very light blanket or sheet to cover me. i have to have something covering me no mater what the temp or i can't sleep! that probably comes from my parents always making sure i had something covering me up.
PATMD

wileetoyote

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=13105.0
Feb 13, 2008
Chandler, AZ
We always zip two large sleeping bags together and throw it on top of the (original) plastic covered mattress.
Our last trip of 6 nights, we put a 3" memory foam in between... that's gonna be the new norm no doubt [SNZ]

WET

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
PATMD said:
I tried sheets for 2 years but did not like the dampness of them when it rained or on dewy nights. plus i can't stand making my bed when i'm on vacation! I went back to flanel lined sleeping bags ( extra wide size ) where 2 can be zipped together to make a super large bag (double bag), or one bag can be used by itself. on hot nights i will open up one bag all the way and lay that on the matress and just use a very light blanket or sheet to cover me. i have to have something covering me no mater what the temp or i can't sleep! that probably comes from my parents always making sure i had something covering me up.
PATMD

The clammy feeling is why we use flannel sheets (year round at home - yes, in NM!) and fleece sheets for really cold weather. We use a Polartec liner bag with the sleeping bag when we ground camp; sometimes the liner is all we need on arm nights.

UT - if I'm solo, I don't zip my bag up, the rectangular one is still too claustrophobic for me, so I use the double-width fleece liner if I need to use the bag.

jobenoit

May 23, 2012
We have sheets on each end of our pup. DH and our 2 DD's sleep in sleeping bags but I'm not a fan so I sleep with a comforter. I hate the sand and bits of dirt that inevitably get on the sheet though. [:(O]

cwolfman13

Super Active Member
Feb 9, 2011
DW wants to try the whole traditional bedding thing so I guess we'll give it a whirl next time we're out. I'm pretty dead set against it, but willing to give it a try to make her happy. As much as anything, I like the convenience of the sleeping bag. Rolls up into a nice little package I can stow away under one of the dinette benches when we're breaking camp....at the campsite, throw 'em on the bed and let 'em unroll; voila, bed is made and ready for sleeping. Traditional bedding just seems like more crap to pack and store...bottom sheet, top sheet, blanket(s)....duvee/comforter, etc....extra blankets if it's colder, etc. I like to keep things pretty simple, and this already seems to be more complication than necessary for something as mundane as sleeping. I already have images running through my brain of our already hard to keep uncluttered pup (We bring way to much crap for DS) being even more cluttered with a bunch of sheets and blankets...and extras just in case. Ughhhh...my blood pressure is already rising.

Above all else, I'm concerned that I will be getting more and more requests to blast the furnace....to which my response will but, "uhhhh NO"....we have been just fine using our sleeping bags to keep us warm when the temps dip (as they most often do at elevation) and I don't put my thermostat over 50* (55* if the whining becomes unbearable) to conserve amp hours on the battery. So this, I think will be the biggest issue of them all. I don't think traditional bedding will even be an option for our early and late season excursions to the mountains as temps overnight are often right around freezing; a sleeping bag will be necessary. Perhaps we can get away with it during the peak season....we shall find out in a couple of months, I just don't want to hear a bunch of whining and complaining that it's too cold.