Sheets? Sleeping Bag?

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by BelchFire, Apr 5, 2012.

1. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

Wolfman, I found that I had enough compression space between the mattress and ceiling to just leave the sleeping bags spread out on the beds. It saves time and is better for the bags, since they aren't compressed nearly as much as when they're in a stuff sack. You might give it a try.

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

With the assortment of bedding we use, we've been as warm as we would be with our sleeping bags, with the added plus of being able to adjust as needed through the night. Granted, I appreciate the electric mattress pad when we go in the winter and have power. We have never had space with either pup to leave the sleeping bags or blankets in made-up configuration on the bed, so have developed a good routine for making the bed when we get to camp. (With the Cobalt, we sacrificed possible room to do that to gain the memory foam. If we change out to a Thermarest when we need to replace the pup's original mattress, we might gain that room.)
    We use flannel sheets year round at home, so that is our norm. We found fleece sheets last fall that were nice for the really cold trip. We have an assortment of Polartec blankets and throws; they run sales from time to time on the website that sells Malden Mills fabrics, throws, and blankets. We have 100 and 200 weight, but there is also a 300 weight. Nice thing is that fabric is great even in damp weather. Topped with the new wool-filled quilt, we can be very toasty. We have things sized so that we don't get drafts from the sides as we move.

3. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

Anyone besides me find this post hilarious? With all that bitching and whining who would even want to go camping [:D]

4. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

That's exactly what I'm worried about. In general, DW is a supertrooper (and she puts up with a lot from me)....but, like I said, we always use sleeping bags so we've never really been cold. She's always been fine with the thermostat set to 50* until our last time out; I'm chaulking it up to her being in hear 3rd trimester and being generally uncomfortable anyway. I'm worried about the traditional bedding thing because we have some friends we camp with every so often and they only use traditional bedding; it never fails...every morning..."man, we slept like crap...it was sooooo cold last night." To which my response has always been..."perhaps you should ditch the sheets and blankets and get yourself a sleeping bag....they keep you warm. I mean, we are at 8,500' and all...get's pretty chilly don't ya think."

For me, it's the same thing as someone coming over to the house in January wearing spring/fall weight clothing and complaining that it's too cold in my house. Ever hear of a sweater....they keep you warm.

At anyrate, it'll be an interesting experiment. If it works, then great....I fully agree that traditional bedding is far more comfortable than a sleeping bag. I just don't want to be running my pup battery down trying to keep everyone warm when there are options that are specifically designed to help resolve the issue.

5. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

LOL - this just gets better! I mean, a silly little thing like 3rd trimester really is hardly even worth mentioning :)

lol. On topic, we've done it both ways when tent camping and been warm in the summer months but come fall it's sleeping bags all the way. She is going to try traditional bedding again sometime this year but I'm guessing it won't last long. My fleece summer bag is plenty comfortable. Don't really need anything else. what I do need is more padding but I'm not sure how much I can fit under that roof.

6. MagnoliaHoney

MagnoliaHoney New Member

Well it depends on your top blanket. I had a comforter once that I had to give away. We lived in NYC and it is COLD there. But, that comforter never got used cause it was so darn hot. I didn't know anything non electrical could be so darn hot! So just depends on the blanket.

I am for sure going for glamper so we will have sheets/comforters. We live in a cold basement apartment and already aclimited to COLD! lol

I've camped my whole life, this is my first time with a camper! I'm usually in a tent! lol My dad always insisted on camping during xmas vacation, (tent) and even in upstate michigan! lol So just as a little heads up to the person who said about the kids sleeping bags (ie princess) being more for looks then warmth, yeah they are basically a cheap comforter. If you are looking for sleeping bags for more then sleep overs (that's what those character bags are for, like slumber parties in someones living room not camping), you will want to look at the tags on the bag. The tags on the bag tell you the temp that the bag is made for. Most of those character bags, I would imagine are probably 40 and above (what the average bag is marked), to keep really warm, or to camp in cooler months, you probably want one marked for at least 20 (will keep you warm/alive to 20 degrees outside), if you are going to go camping in the winter like my dad always insisted you will want one for below zero, etc. So you buy bags based on the temps you plan on using them in...and if you are more likely to be a colder person (colder then other people) you want to go with a bag for even colder temps then you plan on using it in.

7. k-t-did

k-t-did Active Member

My family never used sleeping bags in a camper....but I find them easy and comfy! I am going to spring for nice fitted sheets over the mattresses because the covers are scratchy

8. NeedtoRoam

NeedtoRoam Colorfull Colorado

I left the sleeping bags packed away with the tent.

9. DragNfly

DragNfly New Member

the pup has its own sets of sheets, pillow cases, blankets, towels......

10. TurtleGirlTravels

TurtleGirlTravels "Adventure Favors the Bold" - Royal Gorge ad

The first topper, for the previous pup, I found one (1" thick, which was al lwe could fit) overstock.com, but found a place on ebay who sells made in the USA toppers and mattresses in various densities; we have bought 3 from them:
    http://stores.ebay.com/usamadesleepymtnmattress

[/quote]

Great reference - exactly what I was looking for!

11. wanderlustig

wanderlustig New Member

We use sleeping bags. DH and I have a double that we bought years ago at Rei. Because he likes to stick his feet out, his side is unzipped. My kids have cheapo polyester lined sleeping bags that I would never want to sleep in and can't wait to get rid of them, but they're holding up well. All sleeping bags are machine washable, which is nice. This year I made liners for the kids' sleeping bags to keep them a little cleaner. I can just wash the liners instead of the whole sleeping bag. They're just a twin flat sheet folded in half and sewn along the bottom and about halfway up the side. The only problem with them is that the kids can get all twisted up and then they wake up complaining in the middle of the night.

I thought about using sheets especially since we have spares at home along with a duvet cover, but... well I guess I like my sleeping bag and it seems just a little more convenient...

12. mavblogs

mavblogs New Member

I know that's fight! We just bought our first popup and will be taking our first trip soon. I've already got the sheets and comforter ready to put on the bed! Gotta have my 800tc!

13. kentuckyrascal

kentuckyrascal Member

Depends on the time of yr. Summer months I use sheets. Spring and fall sleeping bag. Sleeping bag stays in the camper so if I get cold in the summer I throw the sleeping bag open up over me.

14. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member

I'm glad I found this thread.

For 4 years I have used a sleeping bag with an old comforter. Our bags are just laid on the memory foam topper. On my last trip my friend spent a night in my pup and she seemed a little horrified that I have this lovely pup (she has a tent) and did not make up the bed. So it got me thinking....

today I bought a new comforter with matching pillow shams, fitted and flat sheets. The set also came with 3 decorative throw pillows! We have a trip planned in 2 weeks and I can't wait to set up the bed. One thing I have noticed tho is that it takes up more room than sleeping bags, as long as it warm and cozy I'm good with that! Oh and I can't wait to see DH reaction..........."what have you done? Is my mum coming over?" [;)]

15. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

wanderlustig,

Could you use small squares of velcro in the corners and in the middle to keep the sleeping bag liners in place? They would still be removable, but should stay in place better. If you do, be sure to sew the loop side to the sleeping bag (so it's not scratchy without the liner) and sew the hook side to the outside of the liner.

16. zell_travis

zell_travis Member

We do sheets and blankets in ours. Easier for close encounters.