Shepard’s hook and support pole

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by mcgillclan4, May 27, 2020.

1. mcgillclan4

mcgillclan4 Member

Any ideas of what I can do for this? I have limited tools so I can’t cut a perfect fit of anything. The seller had jammed some cork in there which worked for a short amount of time. But now is compressed and loose. Keeps falling out and bunk roof falls. Thanks!
    B7B77768-4A95-473A-B936-5D0B5D50FBE5.jpeg

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Try placing the hook, then fill the pipe with epoxy?

Sjm9911 and mcgillclan4 like this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Just out of curiosity is that the end you use on the back part of the pole that connects to the back bar? Also is that shepherd pole original? If so I managed to find the actual clip that attaches to the pole online when mine broke. I need to scour my eBay and Amazon accounts and let you know what it’s called. Might be far easier for a real fix vrs improvise.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I saw this on Coleman popup parts. Com I Believe I bought mine on eBay a long time ago but it appears it doesn’t let me go that far back. I’ve seen similar on amazon but double check sizes those c clips come in a ton of sizes.

Tent Support Clasp

$7.95 USD
    Quantity
    Share on Facebook Tweet on Twitter Share on LinkedIn Pin on Pinterest
    Attaches the shepherd hook tent support pole to the bed bow. This clasp latches over the center of the bow on beds, glide outs and tip outs.

The end that accepts into the tent pole measures 3/4 of an inch. Inside the clasp measures 1 inch wide. 1-1/2 inches in overall height.

5. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Too bad you aren't closer to Texas. After my Coleman was totaled I kept the poles. Been waiting for someone close by to need them.

6. mcgillclan4

mcgillclan4 Member

yes. It’s the end pushing the roof out against the canvas. I imagine it’s the original. Just bought this last week. not a lot of use previously. Yes too bad I’m not closer! Haha! I’ll take a look at finding one. Otherwise epoxy might be it! Thanks.

7. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Never seen that end before. Interesting!

8. GrueMaster

GrueMaster Active Member

One hack idea is to determine the diameter of the pole and the diameter of the bow pole, then go to your local hardware store that carries plumbing supplies. Buy a T connector that will fit over that, and cut the top off the the straight part of the T, just enough to snap over the bow without too much stress, but not so much that it falls off. Use a dremel and cutoff wheel to cut. Then you can mount it to the shepard's hook with a screw or rivit.

9. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Find and buy those. I feel like your canvas will ware out from rubbing on the hook you have.

11. Albs

Albs New Member

Jimbow - any chance that your poles look like this photo? The hook portion recently bent on both of my poles in a major wind storm. Searching for replacements but not having any luck. I would be willing to send you a prepaid mailing label for just the hook portions.

Attached Files:

12. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Half inch pvc T. Cut off a little less than half on the T crossbar. PVC will spring and won’t need to be as precise as with brass or copper.

Albs likes this.
  13. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Yes. I'm camping and will return in a couple weeks. I can check then and I'd be happy to send them.