Shiny Grill

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by Artist60164, Sep 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Artist60164

Artist60164 Active Member

I know this is silly , but we bought a grill from the neighbors. It works fine. Just how do you get the thing to shine again? I have already painted the black parts black again with High Heat spray. Now I just have to make the top and front shine.

Picture is not my grill but the silver top parts is what I am trying to clean.

Attached Files:

2. gec66

gec66 Active Member

Assuming you mean the stainless steel use SOS pads (wet) for a good scrubbing then rinse clean.

3. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

wd-40 and steel wool usually works really well for that

4. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Mother's Polish products make chrome stand out! Using a power ball on your drill helps a lot too!

5. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

I had a four-burner like that, but it was brushed metal (not chrome-y). Went to a Double Play (gas chamber w/side burner + charcoal chamber) when I discovered all four burner tubes were cracked.

You might want to try washing it with a degreasing detergent (Dawn is good for that) first, then see if you need to polish it up to make it shiny.

6. Mat Kyne

Mat Kyne Member

Corrosion resistant steel (or better known as stainless steel) normally goes through a chemical conversion process known as passivation. Any type of abrasive scrubbing will remove this film and make your grill rust. So before scratching off the surface treatment, try a soft cloth with a 50/50 if water stains are what you are trying to remove. If it is sap, try WD-40 or any other petroleum distillate. Also soap and water are great. - If you have already removed the surface treatment, polish with chrome polish and wax it if you must, but it will need to be reapplied every time you use the grill. You can also see if they make high heat clear coat. If they do, use that to cover the freshly polished surface. Good luck.