Shocking find.

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by xxxapache, Sep 1, 2021.

1. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

One of my trucks has been riding rough for a while. Not hard to diagnose when you crawl under the truck and find rust holes in the shock absorbers. One was completely broken in two. All that held it together was the rubber boot. They were 11 years old with about 80k miles. Those shocks started out life white. I believe the rubber boots probably accelerated the rust....That didnt stop me from putting some bright colored ones on for some bling on the new shocks.

20210831_184025.jpg

20210901_132252.jpg

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

That could have been much worse. You dogged a bullet there.

3. ccarley

ccarley Active Member

Wow, I've seen some bad shocks but those were amazing!

4. Tarkus

Tarkus Member

Acid rain?

5. xxxapache

Road salt. The boots kept the shocks from ever getting washed off.

MNTCamper likes this.
  6. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Ok, that is one nasty shock!!! I'm sure road salt had a little to do with it, but the stuff they use now (Brine) is worse.

7. xxxapache

Brine is liquified road salt....lol.

True it is bad for your vehicle, especially if you get in it right after its sprayed and hasn't dried. Where I live they spray it at even the mention of snow. When it actually does snow, they spread rock salt like it's free.

I treat my truck annually with Fluid Film. That shock would have faired better without the boot and getting sprayed with Fluid Film or me pulling the boot down and spraying the shock and putting the boot back on. Either way, they were worn out. They were over 10 years old and had 80k miles.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  8. ccarley

ccarley Active Member

I bet those new KYBs ride pretty nice... well especially after having no damping!

xxxapache likes this.
  9. xxxapache

Yeah, the truck certainly rides better.

I put KYB Gas-A-Justs on one of my other trucks a few years ago. They gave a nice ride to it. I figured they would work pretty well on this one.

The old shocks were Pro Comp ES3000. I think the truck rides a little softer with the KYBs than it did when the Pro Comps were new.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. Tarkus

Tarkus Member

Road salt is why I don't bother to put snow tires on my vehicles each winter. Though snow tires work better, I just slow way down and get same results without maintaining two sets of wheels.

Because of all the salt, we have as many car washers as gas stations. More for the under-surface cleaning to slow down the salt corrosion.

11. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

So, this post took me down a rabbit hole this morning... I know my OEM shocks are pretty much ok with only 50K on them and we don't salt our roads up here. But it got me thinking perhaps an upgraded rear shock could help smooth out my towing ride some. I spent some time on KYB's site, then went to Amazon and local dealers (Amazon always cheaper, but usually out of stock, which is the case with these shocks for my truck). Then I got to thinking about upgrading the equalizer on the TH to smooth out the ride, which led to hunting down heavy duty shackle and wet bolt kits, and a look at a new set of SAE and metric impact wrench sockets. So, all in all, that's $735... oh wait, going to need another floor jack to get the weight off the TH axles... that's $250... So up to $985 now. I'll just round up to a cool $1K.

Fun morning, thanks! Glad you got on this. I remember thinking my old Explorer was riding rough. Pulled the rear struts to find the springs in 5-6 pieces. Well, that was fun! I also vowed then and there: I will NEVER rebuild struts at home. I will just get complete kits and swap out. (I elected to rebuild the fronts... big mistake and huge time sink).

xxxapache likes this.
  12. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

The underside of my car looks like the Titanic

Tarkus likes this.
  13. RonDad

RonDad Active Member

Let us not forgot the springs.