Shopping and Scared Now...

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by NJDrummer, Feb 24, 2018.

1. NJDrummer

NJDrummer Member

Hi all -

We have been pop-up campers for about 5 years now but even the ease/convenience of the pup is becoming difficult, so we decided to move to a HTT.

The pickin's are slim in my neck of the woods (we drove from NJ to Massachusetts to get our 2nd pup) and when that's coupled with a low budget it can make it hard to find something that fits. We did find a camper that we like, but...(there's always a "but"...)

It's a 2010 Dutchmen Cub 185. The first thing we noticed was the front bunk didn't have the decals -- they're so distinctive on all the HTTs so the fact that it's gone is glaring. Plus, you can see the stripe coming off the top and starting again on the bottom. It's pretty clear something has been replaced.

The dealer had only posted a few pics and none of the canvas, so I asked him if he would be so kind as to get me some. He did that yesterday and the canvas looks perfect. He said it looks brand new on both ends. He also mentioned the mattresses are not what came with the camper.

Then...he said there was delamination on the back bunk and sent me a pic. It's the lower driver's side corner of the bunk end. It's hard to see in the pic how bad it is. He doesn't see it as an issue, but I decided to do some Googling, and we all know the dangers of that! I have spent last night and this morning reading horrors stories about how even a tiny bit of delamination can mean a world of decay underneath. The dealer said the camper is leak-free and in really very nice shape. In his defense he has been very straight-forward and he knows I am a 4-hour drive from him and made it very clear that there is delamination and he wouldn't want me to travel all that way for nothing, but seems to think it's not a big deal. I told him I thought the front bunk end may have been replaced, hence the missing decals, and he said maybe, he didn't know.

So...would I be walking into a world of pain with this camper? Does the (assumed) replacement of the front bunk mean that is no longer a concern? Will the issue in the back get worse? Could the replaced mattresses indicate they got wet and needed replacement? Or can I assume the PO just wanted better mattresses? (I am so paranoid now!) Finally, does delamination always mean water leaks?

Sorry for ALL the questions. I have relied on the kindness of folks on the portal since we got our first pop-up (which was a lemon...) and I am hoping your combined knowledge and expertise can help us make a smart decision!

Thanks!!
    Leslie

2. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

My approach on buying used is to always be skeptical. Particularly with a dealer who really has no idea what the history of the camper is. While this dealer may be helpful, just remember his goal is to SELL IT to you. In that case, you have to make your decision solely on what YOU see when examining the camper. So if you are up for making the drive and ok with coming home empty-handed, then go for it! Who knows, maybe it really is a gem.

A few months ago I was looking at used hybrids around me. It seemed like nearly every one of them that was more than a few years old had water issued around the bunk ends. For me, that's a deal breaker - even if they say they fixed it, who knows what's lurking in the walls. To get a nice used one, was nearly the cost of a new one, which is more than my budget. I honestly just gave up and am back to searching for a larger PUP. Hoping to see more available in the spring!

3. NJDrummer

NJDrummer Member

Yeah...that's just it, it's SUCH a long drive. Plus, we'd be hauling the pop-up to use as a trade-in and if we don't do the deal that's a lot of unnecessary miles on the camper...and lots of extra gallons of gas!

We're still undecided...

4. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

How long a drive?
    How much is he giving you on trade for your Viking? My guess is not very much. If you're worried about dragging it with you, you may want to just keep it and sell it yourself.

In the end, it's not likely you're going to find a perfect HTT at a bargain-basement price in your own neighborhood (Could happen, just not likely).

If it were me and I thought this might be the camper for me, I'm willing to give up a Saturday for a road trip. We bought our Pup from a fella 200 miles away and my truck from a dealer almost 300 miles away. In both cases there were several emails and phone calls prior to making the trip, but I got really nice vehicles at really good prices so it was worth the drive.

Good luck. [:)C]

hayyward likes this.
  5. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

Personally, the Cub/Kodiak hybrids had a less than stellar rep and Dutchmen has a worse rep in customer support.
    I'm surprised that the dealer was able to get parts from Dutchmen.

6. coney

coney New Member

Leslie, You just missed out on a great deal here in NJ I just put a down payment on a 2014 Rockwood Roo 19. It is in great shape everything works properly and no apparent damages. cam with lots of extra, like weight dist system, bunk end lights/fans. At $ 9200, I think I got a great deal

7. NJDrummer

NJDrummer Member

Hey, that's great! I hope you enjoy it!! Fingers crossed I can get lucky, too!!

8. RugerRedhawk

RugerRedhawk Member

One problem is that a camper with physical issues like that is the type of thing you should negotiate pretty hard on, but if you shop up having driven a long ways, and have your popup on hand to trade in, they will have you in a hard place and know it.

hayyward likes this.
  9. NJDrummer

NJDrummer Member

Yeah, thanks...that's a very good point. We are actually considering taking the drive without the pup just to look at the HTT. We're reluctant to put the miles on the pup just to trailer it back home, but your point makes the thought of going without it even more appealing. Thanks!!

10. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

What is the worry about putting miles on the Pup?

11. NJDrummer

NJDrummer Member

Tire wear, mostly. But I just don't want to trailer it 400 miles, assuming we don't buy the HTT. I'd rather go up and back without it, then trailer it up again if we decide to do the deal.

12. BigTap

BigTap Active Member

Where in MA is this place? I dont know much about HTT's but if its close by me i could possibly swing by and snap a few photos if needed for you.

13. NJDrummer

NJDrummer Member

What a lovely offer! I mentioned MA because that's where we traveled to to get our pop-up, but the HTT is in upstate NY. But your generous offer is truly very much appreciated!!

14. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Where in Upstate NY is it? We are in Central NY and if it is close we could take a peak for you. BTW the CNY rv show is this weekend, you might want to come and take a look if your heading here anyway.

15. RugerRedhawk

RugerRedhawk Member

Is this at Meyers in Churchville? Don't be afraid to lowball, this sounds like it needs work and I doubt they have jack all invested in this. They put pretty inflated prices on their used stuff from what I've seen, much like the other big rv lots in the region.

16. NJDrummer

NJDrummer Member

No, it's a small mom and pop from what I can gather. I think we're going to head up there and look at it to settle it for ourselves once and for all. Thanks!!!

17. NJDrummer

NJDrummer Member

Thank you, too, for the lovely offer! We decided to take a drive up to look at it ourselves and make a decision once and for all! We'll either buy a camper...or not! Thanks!!

18. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Well good luck! Depending on when you are coming keep an eye on the weather. Thursday night is supposed to be rain turning over to sleet/freezing rain Friday morning then into snow Friday afternoon/evening.

NJDrummer likes this.
  19. NJDrummer

NJDrummer Member

Hey all, I happened upon this post tonight and realized I never followed up! We passed on the Cub and then in September got a 2012 Jayco Jayfeather 17Z that we LOVE. It pays to wait, sometimes!

pasobuff and hayyward like this.
  20. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

Hey congrats! Funny thing, in September I also found the bigger PUP I was looking for!