Shopping for a pop up

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by WVhillbilly, Jun 6, 2018.

1. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Hard rain all day, camper roof is leaking again.
    I don't feel like dragging it 40 miles to the dealer again, if I do I'll end up backing it through the front wall.

I don't know if I should try to seal it myself, find a cover for the fantastic fan, or sell it and make it someone else's problem.

It's a sad thing that the build quality is so bad on these things that they don't even stay dry in the rain.
    I have $200 tents that stay dry in the rain, and a $12K pop up doesn't.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Dam, bad luck, I would say you have to take it back. Again. And give them a mouth full. I'm using nice words here , I can only imagine your thoughts. And I would use alternative words.

3. WVhillbilly

They did reseal around the fan, and it looked fine.
    Now maybe I need to look to see if it's leaking somewhere else.

I don't mess with people, I won't go scream at them.
    I'm going to look at it myself, see what the issue is, and if it's simple I will fix it myself.
    If I don't spot anything I'll take it back. Again.
    If it persists, I'll pursue a buy back with them, as it seems they can't make it right.

If they don't play nice, I will see how bored my attorney is and go from there.
    I don't think it's unreasonable for my new camper to not leak in the rain.

My last camper was built in 1974, it didn't leak.

4. Sjm9911

I'll agree, I wouldent yell, but forcefull.. especially after the crap you went through. A mouth full theses days is to make sure they get poor publicity and how people will know they will not or are unable to fix a problum. Stuff like that will get a response. Especially if they know you are media savvy . They don't care about the bbb. But will care if there dealership is googled and this thread comes up.

5. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I would have hit the "like" button on some of these, but I don't like it. I hate it. Build quality is for s#!t and prices keep going up and people (me) keep buying this junk.... mine is currently at the dealer for a warranty repair and I remain hopeful, however, it just shouldn't have to be this way. It seems that no one is/ will/ can hold the two main manufacturers accountable for selling crap.

DJS12354 likes this.
  6. WVhillbilly

My concern now is potential long term roof damage due to the leak.
    I don't even want this thing anymore.

BBB ratings mean nothing, they can honestly be bought from the BBB.

7. neighbormike

All I can think is "I want my old camper back... bring me my old camper"

IMG_0626.JPG

WVhillbilly likes this.
  8. WVhillbilly

Not good pictures.
    But on the inside, it was leaking on the corner nearest the fan switch.
    I opened the cover, inspected the gasket on the cover and don't see anything wrong with it.
    Can't see anything wrong with the sealant around the fan.
    On the side trim nearest the fan, where the roof panel meets the side panel, there could be a gap.
    I don't want to silicone the entire roof, I shouldn't have to.
    I spoke to them again, they said bring it over Saturday morning. Again.
    So instead of going camping Friday night I have to be 40 miles away at 9 am Saturday.
    IMAG0993.jpg IMAG0996.jpg IMAG0995.jpg IMAG0992.jpg

9. Sjm9911

Yea, not good . Is that sealant on the trim peace, all leaked out like that? Maybe it raised that peace so water can get in, has to tell. But they should fix and compensate for lack of use.

10. neighbormike

Keep playing the game & hope for the best! I really like my new trailer, but I NEVER had a tent let me down... I am hoping to hear from my dealer tomorrow regarding "my" issues... Hopefully you'll get your problems resolved soon!

11. WVhillbilly

Looking at it the fan install and sealant look fine.
    I can't see anywhere that looks like it would leak.
    When I called them I was told that "in a hard rain any rv would leak"
    Which is BS of course, otherwise no one would buy one.
    I'm betting an Airstream Nest doesn't leak, which is what I should have bought.

12. WVhillbilly

Closing the camper up a few minutes ago.
    Top goes down, front stops a couple inches short of closing.
    Raise it back up, peek/reach inside, all clear.

Top back down, stops at the same place. [:(!]
    Back up a couple inches, check the corner support posts as I had one hang up on me before.
    Front left is hitting the inside of the top, like the top is shifted a bit or something.
    Bring it back down to where it just contacts, get my wife away from the lowering switch, get her farther away from it.
    Reach in and just yank the top away from the corner post. Top drops 1/2" and I lower it down as usual.

I think I would have had less trouble with a $1200 CL junker. At least I would expect issues.
    I'll be camper less or have gone to the dark side sooner than later I think. This was supposed to be relaxing, and I've spent as many weekends dragging it back to the dealer as I've used it.

13. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Silicone doesn't stick to these roofs that good. I would have thought that factory would have used Dicor

14. WVhillbilly

The silicone that they put on it has lifted since the other day.
    It was probably lifted the other day, but I couldn't see it because I was on a stepladder.

After latching the top and making a closer inspection you can see where it lifted.

15. WVhillbilly

After spending a couple hours at the dealer waiting for the Dicor to dry, hopefully this POS is waterproof again.

I rolled in showed them what was up, the guy reached up and pulled the silicone off of the roof like it was just laying there. Because it was.

Then they asked who put silicone on it, because silicone doesn't stick to these very well. (hmm, where did I just read that?)
    I told them that Brian did, got some head shakes. Was told he wasn't a tech and needs to stay in the office.
    They cleaned the silicone off (not hard to do) wiped it down with a cleaning agent and told me it would take a while for this stuff to dry.
    That they could give me the tube and I could do it myself. I told them I'd rather they did it, and wandered around for a bit, crossed the street for some food and so on.

Looked at the Max-Air vent cover, which is huge, and wouldn't help anyway as it doesn't seal to the roof.
    Also had them look at where the corner braces are hitting the top, I think I'll fix it myself as I now see what I need to do and want it done right.
    Looks like plenty of Dicor on it now, I really hope it will stay sealed.
    Also saw a NICE little pop up there that my daughter may go look at.
    03 Coleman, totally mine, spotless.
    One of the techs know the guy who traded it. Garage kept when not in use, and when they camped in it they covered the tent ends to keep them from getting wet.

He said to his knowledge the canvas has NEVER been wet.
    Seems like a good deal for $3900, it's probably more reliable than my new one since it has the one piece roof.

Sjm9911, Overland and neighbormike like this.