Shore power wks, battery power does not!?!

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Kristiecowans, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Kristiecowans

Kristiecowans Member

I had my 97 Sea Pine electric checked at the shop & was told everything looks good, however as the months passed I noticed that my electric only works when I have shore power. I was boone docking last weekend and even thou my battery showed a full charge, the only thing that worked was the out door orange "porch" light by the door!?! None of my interior lights would work, none of the plug sockets (indoor & outdoor), not even my propane detector would run off the battery...I am baffled! All of my tail lights work just fine when hitched to my TV.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

2. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

The battery will never operate the receptacles without additional equipment.

The battery should operate the interior lights, furnace, LP detector, and maybe some other items depending on how yours is equipped.

Did you check all the fuses in the power center?
    Check for a fuse or auto reset circuit breaker on or near the battery.
    Is the battery kept charged?
    Do you have a safety switch on the galley or elsewhere which would cut off the interior lights?
    What is the battery voltage when disconnected from shore power?
    What is the battery voltage when it is connected to shore power?

3. Kristiecowans

Kristiecowans Member

:)Hello,

Thank you for the information that the battery won’t charge phones or run appliances, I didn’t know that! Anyways what I did to try to fix the problem was open up the electrical panel inside the pup and flipped the circuit breakers a couple of times and checked the fuses while flipping the switch from battery, to off, to shore power, to off again. I have a voltage meter wired into my LP detector and that works just fine…About my battery, I have never had to use it, I have always had shore power up until last weekend but want everything in tip top shape for Spring break camping at Yosemite! There will be NO shore power there! So even thou we haven’t had to rely on the battery I take care of my things and make sure the battery is charged either every other month or every month. The charge on the battery is always 12+ volts. I have a trickle charger that tells me what the battery is charged at and the battery typically holds a charge for a month or more. What I haven’t done
    is checked to see if there is a safety switch anywhere outside or underneath the pup. I’m thinking I need to crawl under the pup and see what I can see there. I will also plug the pup into shore power and see what if anything happens, what do you predict will happen? Thanks again for your help with this.
    [MOD] [PU] [RTM]

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

One thing to look at is the safety switch that enables or disables the 12 volt system in the trailer.. When disabled only a few things will still have 12 volt power like the propane detector and possibly the outside porch light.. Most of times these safety switches are located on the flip over/ swing level galleys but they have also been known to been installed on the pull out bunk sliders (bed not pulled out all the way, switch no worky) as well as on one of the lift posts.. Not sure where it would be located on your YMM, but a starting point is at the galley..

5. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Hi Kristi,
    Good luck with your battery problem. I do notice on my camper, when I flip the galley. It doesn't always engage the switch for power, so I re-seat it back a little so it ditectly pushes the switch down. When will you be at Yosemite? We are camping there July 26-Aug 8th.

6. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Kristiecowans

The fact that the porch light works via battery indicates that battery power is making its way to the power center/12v DC fuse(s).
    How many do ya have? If just one then that fuse is OK

Safety switch needs to be depressed to get the overhead lights to work, if they work on utility power and the switch to conv then they should work when switch to batt.

When on battery power the circuit breakers do nothing, they are for utility/shore power, they power the converter that makes 12v DC and the hose hold electric outlets. On shore power the converter makes 12v DC and sends it to the fuses and out the back to the overhead lights and porch light.

On battery power, battery power is provided by the battery. Battery power enters the DC fuse and goes out the back to the overhead lights and porch light.

7. Kristiecowans

Kristiecowans Member

Gardenbliss,
    We will be in Yosemite the last week of March [{}=] [sf] Fingers crossed the weather doesn't keep us indoors too much but this is when our kids will be on spring break so we are packing for the worst & hoping for the best!

Thanks guys for all the pointers as to where to start on trouble-shooting this problem! I hate the idea of taking my pup back to the shop-especially if it's something silly like a galley safety latch not depressing down as designed. And I am so happy to have learned something new today about the nature of circuit breakers, feeling good. I'm pretty handy but have not learned about electrical, at all! Thanks again for the pointers, I really appreciate it! [:D]

8. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Kristie, make sure your battery is charged. If you have a selector switch on your electrical/converter panel make sure it is on BATT. If the outside porch light is working, then push the "kill" switch by hand. It is most likely located on top of the bottom cabinet of your galley area. If the overhead lights do not come on then switch each one of them opposite of what they were. Now push the "kill" switch again by hand. If they work, flip your galley up onto the switch and see if they continue to work. If they don't, take a piece of paper towel and fold it 3-5 times and place it on top of the switch and put the galley back down and see if they work. If they never worked when you hand pressed the switch but the outside light works then more then likely the switch is bad and can be easily replaced by you. If you have access to a voltmeter you can confirm there is power going to the switch.

9. Kristiecowans

Kristiecowans Member

Bingo speckhunter80! The more I think about it, it has to be that darned kill switch under the galley! It has to be! After reading everything everyone has posted and considering all the work I've done and the RV shop has done, it's just got to be something like that! Thanks for the info! [emoji1]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk