Shore Powerless.

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Randy Griffith, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Randy Griffith

Randy Griffith New Member

Our 2007 Coachman Clipper has 220-volt shore power. It was set up in a campground this weekend and we went on an outing for a 2-3 hours. Came back and the shore power wasn't working. 12-V appeared to be fine.
    Checked all the circuit breakers -- both in the popup and the campground box. I even put the 110-volt converter on and tried the 110-volt shore power. Nothing.
    We know the 110-outlet on the campground box was working because when had stuff plugged into it directly.
    Now what?

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ok, for starters, what your saying is very confusing. Campers run on 110 and not 220. A converter , converts 110 to 12 v. And not the other way.
    With that said, your not getting shore power to the camper, look for a gfi , and see if its tripped. What works and what dosen't? Try everything. And then post it. So lights, fridge, water pump, outlets, ac .

PopUpSteve and Raycfe like this.
  3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Are you sure that camper uses 220V?

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Interpreting what you said.
    220 volts is not correct what you have is 30 amps 120vac.

The converter you put on the shore power was a 15amp to 30amp adapter either a dog bone or puck style.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

Ah, i get it now. Lol.

6. Randy Griffith

I apologize for my confusion. The 30-amp shore line connection resembles my home's 220-volt appliance outlets and I jumped to the conclusion without thinking there are not sufficient circuit breakers for 220 volts. Allow me to rephrase:
    Our 2007 Coachman Clipper has 30-amp shore power. It was set up in a campground this weekend and we went on an outing for a 2-3 hours. Came back and the shore power wasn't working. 12-V appeared to be fine.
    Checked all the circuit breakers -- both in the popup and the campground box. I even put the 15-amp converter on and tried the 15-amp shore power. Nothing.
    We know the 15-amp connection on the campground box was working because when had stuff plugged into it directly.
    There is no ground fault interrupter near the service panel -- only two circuit breakers and about 6 or 7 12-volt fuses. I checked the manual and there is nothing about a GFI.
    The symptoms are: When you plug in the shore line, it has no effect. Everything that runs from the battery still functions. Nothing else works.
    Now what?

7. Randy Griffith

I apologize for my confusion. The 30-amp shore line connection resembles my home's 220-volt appliance outlets and I jumped to the conclusion without thinking there are not sufficient circuit breakers for 220 volts. Allow me to rephrase:
    Our 2007 Coachman Clipper has 30-amp shore power. It was set up in a campground this weekend and we went on an outing for a 2-3 hours. Came back and the shore power wasn't working. 12-V appeared to be fine.
    Checked all the circuit breakers -- both in the popup and the campground box. I even put the 15-amp converter on and tried the 15-amp shore power. Nothing.
    We know the 15-amp connection on the campground box was working because when had stuff plugged into it directly.
    There is no ground fault interrupter near the service panel -- only two circuit breakers and about 6 or 7 12-volt fuses. I checked the manual and there is nothing about a GFI.
    The symptoms are: When you plug in the shore line, it has no effect. Everything that runs from the battery still functions. Nothing else works.
    Now what?

8. Randy Griffith

Now what?

9. Sjm9911

Look for a gfi in the camper. Or by the refrigerator. Do you have ac? Does that work? Otherwise its the breaker inside the camper, switch them on and off to reset them, or its a connection issue in the line somewhere. Could be a broken cord or the cord could have pulled out of the electrical box. The 15 amp to 30 amp is a adapter. The converter is in the camper , it converts the ac voltage to dc voltage. Im thinking you triped a gfi. Look for it.

Snow likes this.
  10. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Most likely. Pull the battery fuse and if 12 volt still works you have shore power to the converter.

theseus likes this.
  11. danzawxx@gmailcom

[email protected] New Member

My guess is he tripped a GFI. What I question is his ability for find which one.

12. Karey

Karey Member

Newbie here ... sometimes y'all's language is confusing. GFI - What I've learned is that if a trailer has plugs, then there's a little button between the 2 plugs that needs to be pushed as a test to see if it's tripped. And it will reset it, right?

13. danzawxx@gmailcom

[email protected] New Member

That's correct.

14. Sjm9911

Ground fault intetupter. Or now they are called gfci. Whatever term has been in use for 30 years in the usa. Some info. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual-current_device

15. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

There should be 2 buttons on a GFI receptacle: Test and Reset. Test to test it and reset to restore the functionality. If it does not reset, the problem still exist or the GFI receptacle is bad.

Acronym List (We use a lot of acronyms) | PopUpPortal

Sjm9911 likes this.
  16. RonDad

RonDad Active Member

Many things ARE confusing until you’ve learned about them. But now you know the name of a plug with the test/reset buttons in the middle! They share the same name in your home as your camper. If you don’t already know camper maintenance, learning the terms is on the to-do list. In the end, it’s better than taking it to a service center to have them push that little reset butting for you. ;)

Karey likes this.
  17. jeepster04

jeepster04 Active Member

Ive never seen a 30 amp plug in a campground that is GFCI.

Have you tried turning the breaker off and back on where you plug the camper into the 30 amp plug? Just b/c you have power where youre plugging into the '15 amp' does not mean the 30 amp plug has power. Theyre on different breakers on the shore power.

18. Sjm9911

We are talking about the gfi in the camper itself. As posted above.
    12 volt is working, not 110 according to the op. But we do not know what he has on 110, as he didnt tell us. Makes it harder to troubleshoot.

19. Randy Griffith

OK, I am officially not an electrical engineering genius. I did think it was probably a ground fault interrupter but I was thinking of something near the circuit breakers that would control the whole 110-volt AC system. I have one outlet near the sink with a GFI, but nothing was plugged into that when the problem occurred. I never thought it would control the whole trailer and I did hit it a couple times, but I think it was when I had the shore line disconnected. I got my multi-tester out and determined there was power to the circuit breaker -- in and out -- and then finally tried plugging something into that outlet and hitting the GFI. POWER ON. (I am red-faced).

theseus and Sjm9911 like this.
  20. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

30 amp receptacles will not have GFCI built in. You CAN have a GFI on the 30 amp breaker though. I have one for the breaker for the outside 30amp plug for my camper at my house.