Shortest Camping Trip Ever?

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by jorgewolfe, Oct 16, 2017.

1. jorgewolfe

jorgewolfe Member

So rushed home from work Saturday night about 6 pm and hooked up the PUP to go for a 2 night stay at a nearby campground. Recently bought a 1978 Starmaster 6 and put new wheels on and several other upgrades. Everything checked out (including torque on 9 out of 10 lug bolts) #10 would stay somewhat snug but nowhere near the recommended torque - all others seemed pretty good. Well, as we turned to leave our neighborhood at about 7 pm we heard a loud crash behind us. Long story short #10 bolt bailed on us after about 2 blocks and his 4 co-conspirators jumped out about 100 feet later. We dragged that hub and sideways wheel for about 1/2 mile before there was a place to safely pull over. Managed to jack up the PUP and remount the wheel well enough to drive home. Big project ahead!

J Starsky likes this.
  2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

It's hard to believe 4 out of 5 properly torqued lug bolts would fail that quickly....But something similar happened to me. I had a wheel fly off a trailer at about 45 mph when the wheel hadn't been off in years. I found either 3 or 4 out of 5 lug bolts all within a short distance of each other.

3. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Wow, that stinks! Hope you can get it fixed and get out another weekend to the campground.

4. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

I had a similar issue with a boat trailer years ago, I had just bought the thing, checked the lugs before our first trip. but at about the 50 mile mark, the tire & we parted ways....turned out that wheel was the right lug pattern, but the center hole was just ever so slightly too small, preventing the wheel from snugging up against the hub. A frantic trip around the Council area netted us five lug nuts, & some washers to use as spacers, which got us home.

5. davekkk

davekkk Active Member

That's kind of freaky!

6. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

I had an 6 lug chevy front wheel leave a suburban once - wasn't that it was loose, that 3 lugs snapped, then the all did after a corner. Freaky as heck for sure!

JiffyPopJunkie likes this.
  7. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

I put new tires on my pup about 2 years ago, torqued everything down, and hit the road for a rally. Made it about 30 mins down the road and noticed the street side wheel was a little wobbly. Pulled off the highway and into a gas station to check it out, and all 5 lug nuts were gone - somehow the wheel was magically still on the camper, though the wobbling had bored out the lug nut holes enough that I couldn't put new ones on. The lug nuts themselves were somewhere out on I-40. Pulled the spare off the back and used the 3 lug nuts on it to limp slowly to an auto parts store (there was luckily one very close by) and bought new lug nuts. Drove the rest of the way to the rally without issue, but with constant visions of me sending a 15" camper wheel into oncoming traffic at highway speeds - I still get the willies thinking about it. I've put about 2k miles on the camper since then and have not had a single issue with the wheels. It makes me want to get one of those little gremlin bells for under the camper :)

Glad to hear you came out unscathed, and hopefully without too much damage to your camper! Good luck with the fix!

8. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

We had a lug issue on our way out of town several weeks back. "User error", as they say. Someone (not me :) ) forgot to tighten the bolts on one wheel after working on the brakes. We made it about a mile down the road before we heard a thudding. I pulled over immediately and my partner took a look at the rig, thinking we had a flat. Nothing. So, we started again. Not 100 yards later, he said, "pull over now, I know what it is". Sure enough, 4 of the 5 bolts on our curb side were missing. He was able to poach 2 of the lugs from the other wheel to get us back home, while I walked the road to try to find the bolts. I found one, which after looking at it, needed replacement anyway. We went to town to try to find replacements. No luck at the auto parts store or the tire store. Tractor Supply had them, fortunately.

Our lesson learned from this is to make sure that one project is completely finished before another is started. We were so frenetic getting prepped for the trip that he simply got sidetracked doing something else before putting the wheel back on properly.

If it had to happen, it was truly the best possible outcome. I shudder when I think of what could have happened had that wheel actually come off. :(

9. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

I think I had a slightly shorter trip.

I boogied on home from work. Typically I don't work Fridays, but I got called in on an all hands meeting. I pull up at 3pm. We open up the camper, load up, and close it back down in 30 minutes. I backup to the hitch, and ....... the jack failed. I couldn't move it up, nor down. No movement means I can't get it on the ball of the car (never mind get it off and level at the campsite). The trip ended right there. I valiantly tried to find a replacement jack, but due to the original having an odd outer dimension size (1 7/8") I couldn't find one locally on Friday. Found one at 11am Saturday, but by then we had already canceled.

10. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Scary, However it failed fairly close to home (for what that is worth) and of course it could have been much worse especially if you were doing really high speeds. Sounds like someone had over torqued the lugs, This happens when using air wrench to install wheels, this stretches the lugs and make them weak. Glad no one was hurt. Good luck with the repairs and Happy Camping

Bowman3d likes this.
  11. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

That stinks and is a bit scary - good to hear no one was hurt. Haven't had any issues with trailers, but had the rear wheel of my VW fly off once doing about 50mph in town. Earlier that day had the VW at the shop for brake work, so the shop ended up paying for the tow bill. On another trip with some friends, we were all in their Blazer, the rear wheel flew off at 70mph in the middle of the NV desert. Both times no one was hurt and we managed to find the tire and get going again.

12. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Maybe you should recheck the specified torque for your camper.

13. jorgewolfe

jorgewolfe Member

Alr
    Reckon I will as soon as I get new hubs on there (with STUDS!!!)

14. jorgewolfe

jorgewolfe Member

Thanks for the good words. Yes they were super tight. I reckon I'll switch to studs on new hubs!

15. jorgewolfe

jorgewolfe Member

Wow! very similar only we were only doing 30mph! Glad you also made it!

16. jorgewolfe

jorgewolfe Member

17. jorgewolfe

jorgewolfe Member

Wow! Great story (the ending anyway!)

18. jorgewolfe

jorgewolfe Member

19. jorgewolfe

jorgewolfe Member

You got me on the duration!

20. jorgewolfe

jorgewolfe Member

Good outcome - we are still shuddering a little!