Shortest Camping Trip Ever?

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by jorgewolfe, Oct 16, 2017.

1. jorgewolfe

jorgewolfe Member

Bet you're all done dodging bullets! I know I am! Had VW Bus (RV of choice for 15 years) Never saw anything fly off but there were always a few nuts and bolts missing after a road trip [LOL]

2. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

Had something similar happen to me except on my Jeep Comanche. Picked my then girlfriend (now wife) up at the airport and noticed a vibration. Stopped to check and two lugs were snapped off on right front. Limped it home checking lugs every so often, kept losing lugs on both fronts. I think I only had one left on the right and three on the left. I had just had the tires done and they over tightened the lugs with an impact gun.

3. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

Had a '69 Bug, lowered and the rear seat replaced with big speaker box - it boomed driving down the road, to be young and dumb. But there was always something missing or broken...
    - Block cracked a month after I bought it
    - Speedometer squawked in the cold weather and bounced between 20-70MPH
    - Always had water on the floorboards in the winter
    - Clutch cable broke on the way to work, lucky I could shift without it. Had to start the engine in gear at every stoplight though, a pain but it worked. Did this for a couple days until I could fix it.
    - Bracket for holding the back of the seat broke going to school one morning - installed a 2x4 to hold it in place, drove it with 2x4 for the next 5 years.

Yet, for some strange reason I kind of miss my old VW :(

4. jorgewolfe

jorgewolfe Member

Classic!!

5. Rob Mikell

Rob Mikell New Member

I aquired my pup in a rather unique way. A family from Indiana were coming down I75 in Florida on vacation. They had the pup overloaded I think ( tongue was bent). During tthier trip through N fla, the wheel bearings on one side siezed to the point the axle shifted. There they were stuck on the interstate. They called a highway mechanic, who upon inspecting the rig stated it would have to be towed in, new stub axle, bearings, wheel,hub, etc. They elected to give said camper to mechanic in lieu of bill up to that point. I traded the mechanic an 18 ft aluminum fishing boat with a 40 merc I got in a partial trade on craigslist. That is how I got my 2000 Viking 1906 for free.

6. jorgewolfe

jorgewolfe Member

Well I still have mine and am getting ready to do the repairs/replacements. Have you got yours ready for the road yet and what did you have to spend to get it there? Hope your story has a happy ending!

7. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

2 years ago, in my town, a wheel came off of a boat trailer while it was being towed on the highway. The wheel crossed into oncoming traffic and hit a woman driving with her kids in their car seats in the back. The woman was killed. Her kids were okay. She was a teacher in my kids’ elementary school. Tragic, and proof that safety means safety for everyone.

8. jorgewolfe

jorgewolfe Member

Hard to read and even harder to imagine. It's so easy to hitch up a trailer and head for the hills but it's so much more important to make sure everything is done right and it doesn't take that much longer to do so. I'm sorry your kids had to go through that. Just a lesson on taking that extra step.