Shortest distance traveled to a Camp Ground (not counting Camp Driveway)?

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by NJGuy, Sep 1, 2010.

1. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

Its My Old Ky Home State Park in Bardstown Ky its were i work from the house its about 25 min

2. cruising usa

cruising usa New Member

We have Webster Park a Monroe County Park just 8 miles down the road from us. Only turns are out of my driveway and into the park.
    We do it a couple of times a year. At the he Family camp area each site has W/E. most site are large and spread out.
    Hapopy camping
    ken

3. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

NJGuy said:
    Over the years I've had a couple of instances where people came in very late (well after quiet hours have started) and then made a lot of noise while setting up. I consider that extrememly rude. After camping in British Columbia the last two years I find that I like what they do in the provincial parks. They have gates which are closed at 11:00 PM and opened at 7:00 AM. If you don't get there by 11:00 you are not getting in.

4. opnorty

opnorty New Member

Last year, DW had a different job where she worked everyother weekend. One weekend, I took our 3 kids to a city campgrounds about 3 miles from our house. That was a pretty nice little get away right on the banks of the Mississippi River. Another weekend when she was working, I took the kids about 6 miles away, across the state line into WI. That was more of an RV park. We planned that trip in about 2 days, so we couldn't get the great spots. We ended up sandwiched between two HUGE class A rigs. The spot was directly across from the playground, so that helped.

Sometimes, not being in the house is all it takes to occupy kids.

opnorty

5. PattieAM

PattieAM New Member

We have a small State Park about a mile from our house. We don't camp there as it's too close to home. There's another about 45 miles away which we've enjoyed.

We try to get away about an hour's distance or up to 3 hours drive time. Love to enjoy the towns that are a bit different than home-town.

6. Steve A

Steve A A bad day camping beats a great day at work!

Most NC and VA State Park are that way as well.

7. Deskpilot

Deskpilot Member

When I was @ Turkey Swamp Park in NJ last month, I advised hte Ranger that I would be out late the next nite @ Great Adventure - Not a problem, I was provided the weekend combination and had no problem getting in. When I got to the camping area @ midn+30, I turned off my headlights and proceeded VERY cautiously to my site, shut down and quietly settled in to a short routing. I don't think that the crickets noticed that we had returned.

8. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Thank you for doing that, Deskpilot. I'm sure your neighbors appreciated it. Too many people come flying in too fast, hit the brakes and skid into their spot, slam the TV doors, talk at high volume and slam the PUP door as many times as they have people.

9. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

How is that park? I've look at the web sites of all the state parks here in NC, and that one has caught my eye. Some friends of ours want to try it, too. Is there anything to do around there (hiking, interesting small towns to explore, etc.)?

10. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

The hours are way more restrictive, though! 9:00 pm in July and August, 8:00 pm in the spring and fall months, and 6:00 pm during the winter, early spring, late fall. And they don't open until 8:00 in the mornings. I like that, though. It keeps the campgrounds much quieter and those who like to party go elsewhere. I like it quiet. Even on July 4th and Labor Day weekends, our local state park is full but very quiet. Kids are out playing during the day, but in the evening, it quiets down and by the 10:00 quiet time, it's really quiet.

I've stayed at a state park in New York (near Syracuse) a couple of times and wow, what a difference! Much more of a party atmosphere.

11. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

Two Mile Run County Park. 16 miles from driveway to site C5. Pictures - http://picasaweb.google.com/1themanfromvan/TwoMileRunCountyPark#

12. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

10 miles to our local state park. We like it there and can always get in.

13. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

I just noticed that I omitted the 5 from this post. As in ... we live about 5 miles from Weldon Springs.

14. musicman55

musicman55 New Member

we have a state parka bout 10 miles from the house we go there when i have to work a few hours on weekend great family park fernridge shores happy trails

15. MamaK

MamaK Member

Shortest distance is almost a tie between two state parks, one in CT and the other in MA. The winner goes to Wolf's Den Campground at Mashamoquet State Park. It's about 33 miles away and very, very quiet with large sites and no hook ups. Close enough to home for a quick getaway, but often full since there are only 35 sites. The next closest is Wells State Park in Sturbridge MA which is about 37 miles away and much larger. Chances of getting in without a reservation are a bit better.

16. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

We don't normally camp at campgrounds. We prefer to go to some private property owned by some friends of ours at Lahontan State Park. Our favorite spot is 18.2 miles from the house. That comes in handy for water/ice runs.

17. outdoorsnga

outdoorsnga Marietta, Georgia USA

We live within 20 miles of 11 campgrounds that we know of already, may be more. But we love our Mckinney Campgrounds 19 miles from out driveway. On the lake, enough spaces between campsites you cant see your neighbors except the non reservables...they are stacked on top of each other. We have 6 favorite spots. We camp here (we are camping as I type) sometime starting on Tuesday thru Sunday because its almost halfway to where we work. We can run home and check on the cat and take n the mail. This week from tuesday till tomorrow Monday,.
    We have really been surprised that so far all week the lake has not been busy at all. Guess the cool weather scared some boaters away. Beautiful, beautiful so far, we didnt even run the a/c last nite. We usually dont camp on Holidays but sure glad we did this time....we set up after dark on Tuesday nite and had just a tad bit of problem getting backed in...we had several other campers already set up came over with flashlights and we backed right on in...we havent seen any of them since, except when they drive out or back in.

18. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

Twenty miles to Holly Recreation area. I have a very nice County park only 5 miles away but I've never camped there. I do ride my bike over there and ride the mountain bike trails frequently.