should A/C be on my required list?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by lilpott, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

Right now maybe, but any pup with double king beds is plenty big enough to have one. My 2004 clipper had a cassette toilet right as you came into the camper so it was easy to slide the cassette out to empty...and to fill with water, all from outside the door.

2. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

In a good year it can take months to find the right pup. When I was looking for mine, which was my first, I spent around 6 months to a year researching everything I could about them. How to set them up, fix things, what people liked and didn't like, mods, potential problems, etc. By the time I actually had the money saved up to really start looking, I felt I was well prepared to find potential problems. The first couple I looked at did have issues, and I passed on those. Found one StarCraft, very similar to mine in floorplan and size, but I felt the owner wanted too much despite how nice it was, so I passed on it. Found another that was almost identical to mine, another StarCraft, and was really close to pulling the trigger, but it had been unused for a couple years, tires were old, water heater took up a valuable storage spot, and there were a bunch of wasp nests underneath, so I kept looking. Found my Jayco on a total fluke - misspelled ad title 3 hours away on craigslist. Turns out it wasn't even a model line I was aware of, despite all my research. Had to do some quick digging, and decided this was a potential candidate. Drove the 3 hours with cash, spent about an hour or so going over it, and drove home with it. The only major thing I needed to do was new canvas - at the time I suspected it would need to be replaced but I was hopeful that I could just resew the seams (the stitching had begun to fray in a couple spots). After a year or two it was obvious that solution was going to be way more work than I was prepared to tackle, and I got super lucky finding factory canvas direct from Jayco for $500. For my needs the floorplan was about as close to perfect as I could have gotten. The only thing I wish it had was an outdoor kitchen with a sink. If I decide to stay with a pup, a HW277 would be at the top of my list although I have bigger beds, and the floorplan is not quite as good as mine for my needs.

3. blmathews8

blmathews8 Member

My wife and I only have one 2yo, but we recently watched a friend's 9 month old in the RV on a 90+ hot day and it made a HUGE difference keeping everyone sane. The A/C makes parents less grouchy and lets the little get some escape form teh heat, especially when they can't just go swimming. I live in Arkansas, and it gets pretty hot, if you're going to be camping where it gets above 80, I would choose A/C. We also happen to have a king bed and queen bed in our 2000 Dutchmen Voyager so we have plenty of room to grow!

4. Marc88101

Marc88101 New Member

I did the roof A/C And it's the best thing I've ever done. It stays surprisingly cold inside and we sleep so much better. Good luck

xxxapache likes this.
  5. Floridagal

Floridagal New Member

You must must must have AC if you are coming to Florida!!

xxxapache likes this.
  6. Waitara

Waitara New Member

I don’t have AC and even in 90 degree weather, didn’t miss it. I do have A pair of small 12V fans and I put reflective insulated tarps on the bunk end roofs using binder clips. The kids are 3, and 5. We’re 40 and 41. Mother in law is late 60’s and we ALL take afternoon naps. As for the potty, I bought the Thetford 135 on Amazon and use it in a pop up changing shelter thing. It’s their smaller model so I can easily move it inside at night so nobody has to go out. My popup is old and I’m thankful there isn’t a hole in the roof. I have great rear visibility out of the tow vehicle, and my lift cable and winch are in good shape because they aren’t lifting that extra weight.

7. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Yeah, I grew up in a house with no AC and so many fans going it sounded like a wind tunnel. I had parents that wouldn't buy a new car with AC because it cost too much and if they bought a used car with it they wouldn't run the AC because it "used too much gas". Being sweaty and sticky was just part of life. We all lived, though....Fast forward 40 years. They wouldn't own a home, car or RV without AC....Neither would I.

Toedtoes and Indiobravo like this.
  8. lilpott

lilpott Member

I love reading all the various responses. After much consideration based on the fact that we will go to FL at least once a year we decided to have A/C be a requirement on our list.

Toedtoes and xxxapache like this.
  9. Sharpie

Sharpie Member

Ok so you could put a portable a/c unit in when needed and its cheaper. We had a couple fans when we had a popup. Also roof leaks around a/c units is a problem as they get older. As for a pottie you should just get a port a pottie much easier to maintain and you can bring it with you in your TV when you go on long trips. And can dump it in a toilet. Hope this helps.

10. cdirk1973

cdirk1973 New Member

We just got a PUP this year, and I was surprised at just how quickly it gets JUST SO HOT. Like, the canvas gets so hot you don't want to touch it hot (and we live and camp in Ohio, so similar weather). I would take the A/C over the potty-you can bring a potty chair if needed--also, a queen size bed could easily sleep a few littles, especially if they sleep in a puppy pile :) Honestly, it gets much hotter than a tent, and if you're pregnant, I would def. choose the A/C.

xxxapache likes this.
  11. kenquagliana

kenquagliana Member

I thought I didn't need it until............I did.............! I was one of those folks that "never" camped when it was hot. Turned out life didn't accommodate my preferred Spring, Fall and Winter camping and I found myself camping in very unpleasant weather (Summer on the East coast). I don't like the noise, but love the comfort when needed. If I'm paying for electric and it's hot enough in the camper to make me sweat, and the fans don't cut it, I use it. Good luck.

xxxapache likes this.