Should be okay, I think, but should I?

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by Camper054, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

Planned for a weekend getaway, couple of months back hoping to see some fall colors (close, about 40 mins from home). But temperature has not fallen below to get good color yet. Oh well, this is not the issue.

Issue is that my son has a marching band competition on Saturday and they are also playing at the high school football game tomorrow (Fri). Unfortunately, he is the ONLY bass clarinet player in the band, so his band director wants him badly!

I have been thinking about this for last couple of days. I do not want to miss this opportunity as this could very well be the last camping this year. I am thinking I can go tomorrow (Fri) in the afternoon, set up, and then come back and get the family with me.

Is it okay to leave the camper at the camping ground with no one attending for about two hours? I think it should be...right? ...

He is a junior in the high school and I keep telling him - no more marching band next year. It has already cost us couple of weekends when we could have good camping trips!...But he likes it :(...

Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

YES. When I go camping, I leave my trailer all alone for most of the day!

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

People leave them longer than that. My opinion: Family vs. camping- no contest.

Camper054 and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

We leave in the morning go exploring and not come until evening often. Never had a problem.

Camper054, Sjm9911 and HappyTraveler like this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Unless the camper is trying to run away from you , you will be ok. Lol. The bigger problem is will you be ok without the camper?

neighbormike likes this.
  6. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

@Sjm9911 , now that you say, I think this is what I am dreading - leaving the camper 'all alone' while I go back and forth :).

Thanks all!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Good luck with your decision! If you are able to go back and pick up the fam, that is the answer!

Camper054 likes this.
  8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I know what your feeling. My little side kick is in cheer, she absolutely loves it and has been her dream since she was 2. However her days and weekends are now entirely compromised. She used to be able to join me on my trips and now I managed to get her on one. I'm very proud of her but depressed I no longer have my sidekick anymore. In answer to your question. Yes you can leave the camper. I even left it overnight once when I took a backpacking trip. The camper was home base so I had a comfortable place to rest and relax after I got back from backpacking. I told the camp host my intentions so he wouldn't be alarmed and could swing by to make sure it's still standing. I didn't put my awning out and turned my gas off but had no problems.

9. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

I was in marching band in high school, and it would have been (to me) a fantastic outing to combine an away game with a campout. Where I live, it's a 20-minute drive to pretty much anything, so 40 minutes wouldn't be a big deal at all. YMMV.

My grandson plays soccer (U12 rec league), and he has an away game up in the mountains each season. We both want to turn that away game into a camping weekend. This time, it's Nov 2… and on Planet Georgia, it could be 80 or 30 that weekend. (or both) I'm going to try for some reservations over the weekend. Anyway, our first trip (pre-soccer season) included a day-trip where we spent the entire day not at the campsite and there weren't any problems.

What I'm saying is: if you have laptops or tablets, bring them with you. Other items (stoves, chairs, bikes, what-not) can be stashed or brought along if you prefer. Going to a HS football game for the evening isn't any different than dinner and dancing at some venue in town, at least time-wise. Have fun with it!

HappyTraveler and Camper054 like this.
  10. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Do you normally never leave the camper alone at the campground? Why would you worry about leaving the camper for two hours? You must be in a high crime area. Just don't leave any valuables in the camper.

Camper054 likes this.
  11. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

If he really enjoys band then what’s one more year of lost trips? Pulling him from that might make him not enjoy camping in the future because camping took band from him senior year. As said the camper will be fine for a couple hours. People hike or fish away from their camper for much longer than that.

kcsa75, HappyTraveler and Camper054 like this.
  12. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

We have gone on day trips and returned 12 hours later without any issues. Just be smart and be sure any valuables are either out of sight, or taken with you.

HappyTraveler and Camper054 like this.
  13. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

This is a great point, thanks for sharing the tip!

I hope not :). I live in Indianapolis, IN and going to Brown County State Park. This is a very nice park and I have been there before several times during fall, but never camped. We bought the camper this summer and this is my second trip and probably the last one, this year. So, I am not as seasoned pop up camper, as many of you :). I couldn't fit in other trips as I had to travel due to family reasons. Hope it makes sense :). Thanks much!

I agree totally, I was just saying as it frustrates me that we cannot have more campings/outings on weekends due to this grueling marching band commitment. After I made the comment yesterday, when I picked him up from his practice (yes, the entire second week of fall break they had practice from 9-4:30!), he said, there is potentially good scholarship in college for band members! So, yes, I would not stop, if he wishes to continue. Thanks and I agree with you!

I do have my stuff ready and will start after I drop him at the high school in the afternoon. I do have one regret that I wouldn't be able to see him playing today or tomorrow :(.

Thanks all for your thoughts, comments, sharing the pain/joy, and suggestions :). Best to all of you!
    MC

HappyTraveler likes this.
  14. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I've driven several hours, set up on a Wednesday then came back home. Then on Friday after school, pick up the kids and head out camping. Even leaving the camper alone for 48 hours was never a problem. It is important that they can do what they enjoy as well as get out camping from time to time.

15. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

It's totally fine!

And don't you dare discourage that kid from band! Having a kid in marching band is super super annoying and it's also good for the kid. Looks good on college applications, too.

Camper054, kcsa75 and HappyTraveler like this.
  16. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Eh, I leave mine alone from dawn to dusk hunting all by itself on the side of the road in primitive pull-outs... don't sweat it.

The clean getaway is great, but even a slightly complex logistical getaway is better than none at all.

Camper054, kcsa75 and HappyTraveler like this.
  17. davido

davido Active Member

There may be a large subset of individuals who feel that camping is sitting in lawn chairs around their trailer. But there are many people like me who use the trailer as a home-base, and spend most of the time away doing things.

Enjoy the band performance; kids practice for years, so it's good to support that too.

Camper054 likes this.
  18. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

Family first, while you have them, you can camp when you retire.

Camper054 likes this.
  19. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

At least that's what they kept telling our granddaughter. She was the only one in her school to make it to region band in her senior year, but was turned down when trying out for college. Now she's going to tech for two years then on to college. That insanely expensive flute comes out for church once in a while and for practice at a community band once a week. All the pumping up and then turned down was a crushing blow. Marching band was the one thing she gave her all. The family missed a lot over four years to support her in her passion and dream. I'm thankful her little brother aren't showing any interest in it although big sis tries to get them interested. I told her she's going to be the one blowing her summer and fall taking them to band events if she keeps it up.

Camper054 likes this.
  20. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

Update:
    We had a great short camping adventure - probably the last this year. Kids band team did well and they made it to the next group - state semi finals - that will take place early Nov.
    After we got to our site, we met a guy and his wife, who helped me to back up the camper. It was not easy with couple of big tress and a very tiny space! When he learned that I will be going back to pick up my son, he asked me to bring him a 24 pack of his favorite beverage, which I gladly did :).

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and comments. Sad that winter is approaching and already looking forward and planning for next year :).

By the way, the site next us also was a pop up camper.

Take care you all...
    MC
    IMG_20191019_174958.jpg
    IMG_20191020_085031.jpg