Should I be scared?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by trenton, Mar 12, 2013.

1. trenton

trenton New Member

First ever trip with a camper this weekend to Hot Springs AR. The Etiquette thread here has me a tad concerned that I'm gonna have some crappy neighbors. Seems to be a lot of stories about em on here. We are a young couple, early thirties, with a 1 1/2 year old daughter. She is very well behaved so I don't think we'll be a problem to any potential neighbors. I don't mind socializing at all. In fact, I rather like meeting new people. I feel like we might be kind of different from other campers though and hope that doesn't keep them from being friendly. We are both covered in tattoos and that can be a problem with older crowds. I'm just hoping we are seen for who we are and not the "young wild couple" that we may look like.
    I guess I'm just wondering what the overall mood of the larger campsites around the country are? Are they "youth" friendly? I mean we're hardly youth but we are far from retirement.

2. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Don't worry about it. Just go camping and be a good neighbor. Most people will judge you on how you behave, not how you look. It's nice to see younger families getting into camping. You will occasionally run into knuckleheads, but they are the exception, not the rule.

Greg

3. trenton

trenton New Member

I can't wait for this trip. Lovvvvve camping and haven't had a chance to do much since the wife and I met 12 years ago. Super excited to get out again! I am positive we will be good neighbors as both of cherish silence. I play in a touring rock band so I get plenty of noise. Any time I can get silence and outdoors I get giddy. Glad to hear that the boogers are exceptions. I don't have a problem speaking my mind but I'd rather just get along with everyone. hahaha

4. Dale Boudreaux

Dale Boudreaux New Member

Use the Madagascar Penguin method "smile and wave". If they are friendly, introduce yourself. If not, it cost you a wave. Most people that enjoy the outdoors enjoy sharing the experience with others as well. You should be fine. Most of all ENJOY your time...

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I agree completely. As for demographics, my experience is that most of the campgrounds I use (primarily federal) are quite mixed.

6. trenton

trenton New Member

All good news. Just read a few stories here that got me scared. Hahaha

7. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Here in Arkansas, we shoot crappy neighbors. C'mon down.

-Bondebond, recovering Kansas resident relocated to Arkansas.
    (ok, maybe not shoot them but tempted)

8. Starcraft Away

Starcraft Away New Member

I wouldn't worry about it too much, if some people object they way you look I wouldn't try to use your camping weekend to try and change there minds about what kind of person you are.

Often times People may surprise you, heres an experience we had ast summer

My wife and I are in our 30's with a 3 year old daughter, We spent a week last year in Old Orchard Beach in maine, surrounded by huge trailers and big Rigs. We thought for sure "these affluent people" wouldn't want anything to do with Pop up people. It was the complete opposite, everyone was friendly our Pop up reminded them of when they started out when they were "true campers".

Granted they were a little older but not retires by any means, one of them even confided that having a big rig definitely limits the travel they can do because of the cost.

With gas prices being what they are, I'll have a pop up for a while. Anyway have fun on your adventure, who knows who you'll meet.

[PU] [:D]

9. trenton

trenton New Member

All the responses are just making me more and more excited to get out! Almost jittery at this point...could have been the 4 shot espresso I had earlier though. hahha

10. gec66

gec66 Active Member

Knock on wood, but in 30+ years of doing this we have never ended up right next to someone we couldn't tolerate. Have seen a few situations that I felt sorry for the people next to them and have had more than a few that never went beyond the initial wave or howdy from a distance. Just like some people seem to cause trouble wherever they go, others seem to attract it, so just remember to try to avoid being either of those LOL. Generally speaking camping people are salt of the earth types and just as nice as you are.

11. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Gulpha Gorge is a nice campground and well patrolled by the rangers. You can call them in case of a problem (good cell service there) and ask to have a tattooed ranger respond (if they don't have one on duty, they'll send a conservative looking one, but they're all fine). Or call 911.

12. candleems

candleems Member

Not sure if you can when you register or pull it, but try not to choose a site right next to another if there are lots of spaces. If it's a first come first served and not a reservation place, you should be able to drive in and check out the sites, drive out to registration and let them know which one you want.

13. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Member

Have a great time and don't worry! As long as you share the love of the outdoors, I don't think anyone will care what you look like! There are as many types of people (more actually!) camping as there are types of pop-ups, TTs, MHs. That is what is great about camping. Every place is a new experience. Some people do like to keep to themselves when they camp, but I wouldn't take it personally. We have met so many neat and interesting people at the places we've stayed - wouldn't trade that for anything.

14. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Registration is via a machine. But you can drive around and choose a site. Most sites at Gulpha Gorge have electric; they go for $24 a night. Dry camping sites are only $10.

(Take cash in case the credit card option doesn't work; it didn't work in December and January.)

15. Kdugan

Kdugan Member

Don't worry about, I personally have tattoos and a 2 ga septum piercing and I have never had a problem with any other campers in a campground. We all have something in common and that is why we are all camping. If you are social and curtious to each other you should not have a problem. Have fun with your family and everything else will work out. Best of luck and let us know how everything goes.

16. MIPeaceDudeCamper

MIPeaceDudeCamper New Member

I agree with the other folks here, the bad experiences with obnoxious peeps can happen but they are few and far between. We have a brood of kids that can get loud and we haven't had any bad feedback from others, we try to keep them respectful, though, and camping is good for us because we live an isolated life out in the country. So, my advice is don't worry about it and expect the best out of others and if you do have an incident just deal with it and move on emotionally. Oh, and the tattoo thing is really no big deal, we are very conservative and don't have body art, but you see it so much now that it really isn't a big deal anymore. I personally don't go for it but to each his own. PEACE!

17. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Go out and have a great time! You will probably be surprised just how nice folks are. We have traveled all over and stayed in many, many campgrounds and have had great neighbors! Since 2008 we have never had a bad neighbor, just a few kids who cried cause they did not want to go to bed! That was because they were having too much fun hanging around the campfire at night!!! [CP]

18. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

You're worrying over nothing! By you having tattoos and/ or piercings don't mean you're bad company. Some of the tattooed folks I've met, have been the most nicest people you could ever meet. Don't judge a book by its cover, I've always been told. I smile and wave to my neighbors camping all around us. Some will wave back, some will not. Forget about it, so get out there and CAMP! :)

Campit

19. Pilot371

Pilot371 Member

Quick story for you, from Canada ...... :)

While camping a couple of years ago, met a wonderful group while out on a trail. Trail was a 4-5 hour walk, we spent 3 or 4 hours with the new found freinds.

I was 49, wife 48. New found freinds were young, with kids, lots of ink and peircings. (which I personally love)

Comment they made was how much they loved camping, because noone prejudged them based on the ink and peircings.

As others have said, I think campers just look for good camping neighbours, no issues about looks or dress.

Hope you have a great time camping!! I'd have no problem camping with you, wife and young daughter if you ever make it up towards Ontario

20. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

As long as you are good neighbours, it will usually go well. Mind the rules, leave the camp site cleaner than you found it, and you will be fine. Anyone who judges you on your kids, or your ink, isn't worth getting to know.