Should I cover my camper for the winter

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by malsrule00, Aug 31, 2011.

1. malsrule00

malsrule00 New Member

Should I get a cover for my PUP in the winter time. I think I will have to store it in my driveway. I have lots of trees...tree junk and sap that falls...that was my main reason for thinking I need a cover. If a cover might be a good idea...any specific brand?

Thanks,
    Malsrule

2. gec66

gec66 Active Member

I would recommend it, especially due to the sap & crap (LOL). Just make sure it is a breathable cover, no blue tarps.

3. malsrule00

malsrule00 New Member

Thanks! Any particular cover suggestions?

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We used an Adco cover last year, the first time we'd covered the pup. It worked fine, though was a bit over-sized for the Palomino, so we had to add tarp clips and cord - it still billowed up, but stayed in place. It should fit the new pup fine.

The caution sheet with the new Cobalt stated not to use "tarp", especially dark colored ones, due to heat build up. The Adco was pretty breathable, and the pup would be wet underneath after extended moisture, but it would dry fast once it stopped raining or snowing. The pup is parked under a pinyon and a Ponderosa pine tree, not to mention the white winged doves that like to roost in the one tree. (We have reduced the roosting area, the new pup is higher, so we had to saw off a pretty good sized branch - sort of sad, but it was one of the big sap and pitch dripping ones.)

5. CoxClan

CoxClan Member

We are considering a cover, just because we aren't sure if we have leaks or not - and Washington is, well, wet. :) I'm guessing tarp is very much NOT the way to go, and breathable is what we want?

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Yup, breathable.

I got an ADCO breathable cover for use with my TrailManor this coming winter. (It has to sit in a storage yard.) I chose ADCO because I've read so many good things about them from so many sources. I'll definitely post about how it works out.

7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

You are right about that! I took one for the team and proved that tarps are a no-no. When I was re-caulking this summer, I had scraped away much of the old caulk when I got side tracked from the job. I covered my poor pup with tarp for a couple of weeks so as not to leave it exposed with no caulking. When I uncovered, the entire roof was GREEN with mold! Spent the day with a bleach solution cleaning...

8. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Where I store for the winter there are lots of trees, too. Pine sap, tree leaves, bird poop and just dirt & grime. So I cover mine with plane old 4 mil pastic I get from Wal-Mart (I see it at Lowe's, too). It comes in a 25' roll and when folded out it's 12' wide. Cut it in two and the half works perfect. Should it get real windy and maybe tear (only done that once in ten years), then the other half is ready to go.

I roll the awning up on the roof and with the awning and the roof vent there's enough air space - plus when the wind blows it will get under it, you can see it bellow up. Tie the four corners down using parachute cord plus run more cord side to side, plus fore & aft and it's good to go. Here's my previous pup covered and you might get an idea.

[​IMG]

9. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Can you use the mat fabric that prevents weeds from growing under bark chips? (Sorry, I'm not a landscaper/gardener! [:(O])

10. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

So...will this landscaping cloth work...anyone? [:!]

11. Unstable_Tripod

If you don't mind having a big dead spot where you keep your camper, sure.

If you have a dedicated spot I'd recommend removing the sod, putting the landscape fabric down and then putting a load of crushed gravel on top of that. The fabric will keep weeds from coming up from underneath (however, seeds or spores can blow in from the top and take root) and the gravel will provide good drainage so the tires aren't sitting in water, mud or dirt.

Put a breathable cover on top if you like and you're good.

12. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Ok, the title is "should I cover my camper for the winter". I want to use this landscaping material for a cover . It IS breathable. Has anyone used it for that purpose?

13. Unstable_Tripod

Oh... I misunderstood. No I would not use it as a cover because it is not water resistant (water will go through) and won't stop UV radiation.

14. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

I thought the important thing was it be breathable?! If there is water/moisture it will evaporate. (and I wouldn't think UV could penatrate the material!)

15. Unstable_Tripod

You asked if the landscaping cloth would work. I said I wouldn't do it and explained why but you seem pretty intent on doing it so have at it.

16. joet

joet Well-Known Member

ALL, Maybe I am missing something, the roof is not breathable neither are the side walls, what difference does it make if you cover the pup or not

17. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

I don't think it's so much the water but the mildew that will grow and "eat" into the plastic roof material.

18. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

I also have to store in our driveway and last Winter, didn't cover at all. I did make sure I swept snow off as soon as it stopped, as the extra weight is NOT good for the tops. Well, MY starcraft book says not to add more then 140#s to the roof, but others will be different. It also said to remove snow as soon as possible. [;)]

This year, I might use a cover if I can find one like my old Jeep cover! That thing was the bomb diggity!! Water proof, well anchored, capable of locking it ON. Man I loved that thing. Think I'll snoop around JC Whitney and see just how big those suckers are made.

But yeah...a cover will help protect the roof from your basic airborne crap. Even if it goes to the ground, just make sure air can get under it and circulate.
    [:D]

19. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

The sun can do a job on anything so I want to protect my pup from UV rays as well and plan on buying a cover soon.

20. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

The most important thing is UV protection. I'd think landscape fabric would only magnify the UV damage.