Should I expect this stuff?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by MIlover, Sep 26, 2013.

1. MIlover

MIlover Member

My quest for a late-model CF Bayside or Utah took me to another dealership today, where a 2009 Utah was available for a very competitive price. The unit looked decent, but I left feeling indecisive, and wonder if I'm being too picky. It's possible, so I want a reality check from all of you. I admit to being paranoid about the possibility of purchasing another problem pup.

There were some minor defects on the Utah that I too note of with photos. Some of the issues were also present on the 2008 Bayside I looked at. I'm wondering if some of these "issues" I observe are just par for the course. Are any of these items worthy of my concern or indicative of a larger problem? Or should I stop being so particular?

Not pictured, but also an annoyance, were the broken, missing, or warped cabinet latches (which seem prevalent on CF's). Are there easy-to-find replacements for those? I also thought the bunk ends seemed really bouncy, and one didn't want to stay out all of the way - it would come back in ever so slightly - causing problems with the swing-down galley. Is that normal? There was a lot more "give" to the ends than we ever had with the Jayco.

Caps missing from bunk-end canvas rivets
    [​IMG][/url]
    MissingRivetCover by MIGirl2012, on Flickr[/img]

Electrical in the storage compartment that was held up with lots of duct tape? There was more that didn't make it in the photo.
    [​IMG][/url]
    DuctTape by MIGirl2012, on Flickr

Bunk-track ends that are bowed out - is this normal on CF's?
    [​IMG][/url]
    BunkTrack by MIGirl2012, on Flickr

Top-down view of another bunk-track end - maybe they are supposed to look like this?
    [​IMG][/url]
    BunkTrack1 by MIGirl2012, on Flickr

This was on the hot water heater area. I'm guessing it's a rusty hex nut for the anode rod? Should I be wary, or is it OK?
    [​IMG][/url]
    Anode by MIGirl2012, on Flickr

Rusty storage latches - obviously just a cosmetic defect. This one wasn't nearly as bad as what I saw on the 2008 Bayside. But, do they all end up like that?
    [​IMG][/url]
    RustyLatch by MIGirl2012, on Flickr

Scraping along the inside of the bunk track - possibly caused by a defective bed wedgie?
    [​IMG][/url]
    BunkTrack2 by MIGirl2012, on Flickr

Sorry for such a long post, but I thought photos would be helpful. Thanks!

2. Twisty

Twisty New Member

Lighten up. [;)]
    Missing rivet cap. So what? Mine were all missing.
    Storage compartment electrical. I think that they all just hung loosely inside from the factory. I used an electricians trick to secure mine.
    Bunk end track. Appears to be intentional.
    The head of the anode is rusty. The anode should be replaced every year.
    Rusty storage latch. You can remove them and coat or paint them. It's OK.
    Scraping on bunk track. Normal. Not a defect.

3. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

I agree with Twisty.
    Essentially it is a 5 year old pup (the 2014s are out).

The duct tape was probably the previous owners way of getting the wires up and out of the way in the storage area.
    I'm not sure about the bunk track but I would imagine it would be hard to bend them like that so they may have come from the factory that way.
    I like the look of white latches on the outside of a pup and would paint them (or replace) anyway.

The pictures did help though.

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Some people find a lot more than that wrong with brand new PUPs.

5. bropaul

bropaul New Member

I believe the flare in the end of the bunk track is intentional so the 'canvas' (actually Sunbrella) will be easier to mount in that channel. It's the same on our Westlake. I think all these issues are minor.

Diane

6. goody59

goody59 Member

I wouldn't sweat the small stuff.

7. WendyLouWho

WendyLouWho Wendy & Marlin

Agreed. I have several missing rivet caps Doesn't worry us now, but they will be replaced. And hey, what can't be repaired with duct tape and zip ties? [;)]

8. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn New Member

Good for you that you are checking this out so completely! The chances of you missing something major are pretty low. :)

9. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

Wow if that all you come up with that excellent! New snap, anode rod and some of those sticky plastic wire holders to replace the duct tape and your good! Any leather shop or hobby place will have the snaps. there is a tool that you should use to put it on but you can do it with a pair of vise grips and a small round something or other to bend the inside snap area down or use a small round punch. When you take the anode rod out to replace go ahead and flush the water heater out before putting a new one in. check it out on you tube. there is a video on how to flush the water out and it will get rid of all the old anode rod material. I bought a flush wand from camping world to hook to my hose and flush it out. Works great and was only about $5

10. MIlover

MIlover Member

Thanks all. There were some other concerns with the pup I didn't photograph, but I figured they could be negotiated fixes with the dealer: One corner of the roof appeared a bit lower than the other (cables need to be adjusted I think); there was an L-shaped tear in the canvas (that has been repaired) due to a bunk track, and there were bunk track scrapes on the window -probably due to a PO that wasn't cautious when sliding in. Just my observations. Not saying they are deal breakers.

To clarify - I'm fully aware the photos are are minor things. My reason for asking, is that I wondered if anything was indicative of larger issues that I want to avoid. I was thinking along the lines of:

-Do rusty storage compartment latches mean the pup has sat outside, uncovered during it's life? Or, does that happen regardless?

-I wasn't sure if the bunk-end tracks were supposed to bow out like that (first time I've seen it), and if not, that would mean there were definitely some alignment/mechanical issues - same reason I asked about the scraping on the track.

-Old anode rod - I know nothing about pup hot-water heaters yet, so didn't know if a neglected rod could mean larger problems with the heater itself.

-Rivet caps - yeah, I know that's minor, but didn't know if they should be replaced due to rivet exposure to the elements.

-Bouncy bunk ends - just very different from our Jayco. They felt a little unnerving; like something wasn't locked in place, but if normal on CF's, that's fine!

Thanks again for taking the time to educate me, so I'm not nit-picking things unnecessarily. :)

11. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

I agree with the others ... nothing to be concerned about here. Snaps, in particular, are fickle items that seem to want to jettison the PUP at their earliest convenience.

Fortunately for you, I'm 99.99% certain that that PUP has a water heater and not a hot water heater. This is great news because pre-heating all of your water is pain ... never did understand the utility of a water heater that only heated hot water. You should be able to put cold water in that tank and be able to heat it up just fine. [8D]

My front storage box looks the same ... slightly rusted clip fasteners and the bin looks like a 6 year old hung the wire loops. Maybe it was bring your daughter to work day or something. I keep telling myself that I'm going to fix that. Two years later, it looks the same. [:I]

I don't think that an anode needs to be replaced every year ... it's a wear part that could easily last several years. I know mine has. I would guess that this camper has been stored outside and the weather has blown in and caused the anode rod to rust like it has. I don't think this is indication of excessive wear, just that it's been stored outside. Nothing terribly wrong with that.

Seems like you're doing a thorough job of checking out the PUP. Just be equally diligent about checking the roof. Should be able to easily look up under the outside corners of the PUP roof ... should look and feel bone dry and brand new (like the materials came off the Home Depot floor yesterday).

Good luck.

BTW, each of your imbedded photos has a closing URL tag and some other stuff. You don't need to use URL tags to post images. Since all of your images are online, you just need the URLs of those images. For example, the address of your first rivet photo is:
    Code:
    http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2818/9959563963_e9f494c86e_z.jpg
    So, all you need to do is post that address between the IMG tage like this:
    Code:
    [IMG]http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2818/9959563963_e9f494c86e_z.jpg[/IMG]
    Which produces this:
    [​IMG]

12. backwoodzbum

backwoodzbum New Member

I think you are nit picking abit but who are we to judge? You did not give prices of these used campers so that is a major factor to consider. Maybe you should just purchase a new camper and not accept it until all your concerns are met in writing by the dealership.

13. MIlover

MIlover Member

Touche' CamL. Fortunately, it's just a water heater. [LOL]

Thanks for the image-posting tip. Flickr gives me a lot of unnecessary, excess code that I had to delete before posting the images. Apparently I didn't get all of it.

I did manage to get on a ladder and inspect the top of the roof (and the salesman acted annoyed by my request), but didn't get to the inside corners. There are a lot more things I wanted to check out, but the salesman kept telling me that if I chose to purchase it, they would take it into their shop for full prep and I would have a more comprehensive inspection (water, propane, mechanical, etc.) before money switched hands. I had to watch my time, so didn't argue the point further.

Of course, this was the same sales manager who pulled the "shocked at our discount" routine. He went inside the pup while I stood outside, then acted surprised to see that the sign on the table had a crossed out, discounted price. He then told me that had been his "play money" and he didn't authorize the discount. I looked at him, and said "Really? That has got to be the oldest salesman trick in the book." He acted offended and wasn't too pleasant after that. Sorry buddy, if you're going to play that game, I will call you out on it. [:(!]

14. rabird

rabird Howdy!

15. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

I just bought some of those bunk end caps from Home Depot .
    In the screw and fastener isle .
    It's cup with a hole for , in my case ,a screw and a cap .

16. MIlover

MIlover Member

Thanks for the reminder! I need that! [:D]

Please keep in mind that I know I might be (well, apparently am) nitpicking. My reason for posting was to figure that out -whether these small things could lead to larger things. I have no CF experience, so wanted to bounce my observations off others. The last time I bought a pup, it didn't go so well. Once bitten, twice shy.

17. Pop up Pooley

Pop up Pooley New Member

I think you are doing a really good job at being proactive on your pre-purchase search.
    Even so, you likely won't catch all the issues you'd like up front.

From someone who purchased a spanking brand new 2014 PUP from Camping World, I would say no matter how good you are in your research, simply expect to have to
    fix things. Either things you didn't think about, things that "just happened", things that worked yesterday and stopped working today or any number of issues.
    This forum has been a Godsend for me and my PUP issues this year - I am a newbie and have camped 6 times since March.

Fortunately mine is under warranty but it was not pleasant dealing with CW after my purchase - it was almost like pulling teeth.

I think if you can have a mindset that you'll likely have unexpected issues and costs come up, will help with your decision and potential stress level afterward.
    The most important thing is creating new lifelong memories with your loved ones while camping!

18. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

The thing you told us about that bothers me the most is the salesman's behavior. If he pulls that crap about the discount how much can you trust him when he says they would take it into their shop for full prep? It sounds like this guy is a classic BSer.

19. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Finally got home to look at the pictures. (work machines are really locked down). Gee it looks just like my Bayside!
    The missing covers are OK, that's hidden inside the roof when it's not popped up. The wire loom in the storage trunk is loose on mine, even epoxy didn't hold the cable clamps. But that's no big deal either. The flares on the various rails are normal. As for the damage on the bed rail:
    [​IMG]
    Look familiar? I'd say the was a 'feature' of the Bayside [:D]

20. MIlover

MIlover Member

Definitely. The salesman was probably a key reason I left feeling less-than-excited about a potential purchase. Every time I try to rationalize buying that pup, I think of what an a** he was. I've decided to let it go. If it was a Bayside, I probably would have overlooked his behavior, but it was a Utah, my second choice model.

Thanks to all who chimed in. When I see these minor imperfections on future CF pups, I will know they are not anything to worry about.

And the search goes on...