Should I get LT or P rated tires

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by TravelingAggie, Feb 5, 2021.

1. TravelingAggie

TravelingAggie Member

Hi All!

I just recently upgraded my TV to a 2018 F150 XLT SuperCrew with the 157" Wheel Base

3.5 L Turbo V6
    3.55 Rear
    275/65/R18
    10,700 max towing
    7,050 GVWR
    Mostly drive highway miles. Rarely go offroad.

Im towing a 2015 Jayco 1007UD that has a GVWR of 2,550lbs

Heres my question.

On my last truck, my tire guy recommended i get LT rated tires. Seemed a bit overkill to me for a pop up but he said that just in case i ever switch to the dark side and get a conventional camper. The tires im looking at have a load limit of 2756lbs per tire for P rated (11,024lbs for 4 tires) and the LT are 3,415 lbs per tire of load rating (13,660lbs). Seems like the LT tires are a bit over kill for my truck since the load limit of 4 P rated tires is over my trucks GVWR but i wanted to get an opinion here.

2. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

either way - look for tires with low road noise

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Your probably good with the pup. I wouldn't worry about it Unless you go bigger and have problems. Hes was trying to sell you new tires. I went bigger and had some sidewall roll in the p tires. Its not exactly the weight they can carry but the stiffness of the tire sides ( how many plys they are). Some flex a bit with more weight and towing feels squirmy in the rear of the truck. But, for a pup your fine. Dont buy stuff if its not needed.

kcsa75 likes this.
  4. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Well, you certainly don't need LT tires. If you wanted to get into an A/T tire, you might need to go LT to get what you want. I have the 2014 version of the same truck, and I do run LT A/T tires on mine, but I use a high percentage of my tow capacity and spend hundreds of miles on gravel. P tires are less expensive, ride nicer, and are lighter.

neighbormike likes this.
  5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

You can also go somewhere in the middle with XL (extra load) rated P metrics. I have them on a half ton and tow a 6500 lb TT with it with no complaints.

kcsa75 likes this.
  6. Overland

Overland Well-Known Member

I'm also in Pa.. SE. My tire guy would not mount LT tires on my wheels when i mentioned installing them on a trailer.. said it's illegal in Pa. I knew nothing about it, but these guys are good people and a family run business since the 60's so i trusted his knowledge.

That being said.. i went elsewhere and didnt mention what i was putting them on..

Mayhem Galore and kcsa75 like this.
  7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

LT tires will give you stiffer sidewalls and less wallowing when you get the truck loaded up.. Put LT BFG KO2s on my 1500 and love them...

Seeing how LT tires are infact stiffer then ST tires, I would double check what your tire shop said.. if I could find LT tires in 14 size I'd put them on my TT..

8. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

TravelingAggie is replacing tires on the tow vehicle, not the camper.

Overland likes this.
  9. xxxapache

I would like to see a link to a PA law that says its illegal to put LT tires on a trailer.

10. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Depends on the roads you're traveling. If driving on paved roads the P types will be quieter, smoother and provide better gas mileage. If driving off pavement the LTs have tougher sidewalls and are less susceptible to road hazard damage. As long as the load range of the tire is sufficient for the load you're carrying I wouldn't worry about that.

xxxapache likes this.
  11. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

My truck rides really rough. I'm not holding the LT tires entirely responsible but they can't possibly be helping.

12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

They definitely stiffen up the ride. When not towing or hauling i usally air them down a tad. Otherwise you will feel every bump.

xxxapache and generok like this.
  13. xxxapache

I have ran LT tires on my compact pickup for over 20 years. It doesnt weigh but about 4k pounds. Max sidewall pressure on the tires is 50 psi. I only run 32-35 lbs. I have no complaints on ride compared to the P metrics that came stock on the truck.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  14. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I run mastercraft courser AXT2 on mine...the call them all terrain but to me they are more of a hybrid/tweener.
    My BFG's were way more aggressive and noisy.
    These are pretty darn quiet as well.
    They are reasonably priced and held up well

Sjm9911 likes this.
  15. xxxapache

I ran 3 sets of BFG ATs on my small pickup and 2 sets on my Jeep. I did not find them noisy. What I appreciated about them was the 3 peak mountain/snowflake rating which many AT tires do not have.

16. TravelingAggie

TravelingAggie Member

17. brettstoner

brettstoner Active Member

Common misconception. LT tires are not needed. The passenger tires Ford specified are rated to handle the GVWR; i.e. the maximum amount of weight the vehicle could weigh fully loaded. So even if you are towing a trailer and have loaded your pickup to capacity, the passenger tires would be rated to carry the load. Pick a tire that meets your criteria for longevity, budget, road conditions, and noise/vibration/harshness. I personally prefer P rated for the softer, quieter ride.

Also I know of no federal or state law that prohibits LT tires on a trailer. Any replacement tire must be rated to carry the weight but there is no law against putting different types of tires on a trailer. So I will weigh each tire on the vehicle using individual scales, measure each tire PSI, then look at the load rating stamped on the sidewall. If the tire is not at the maximum inflation pressure then I look up the tire in a load inflation table to determine if the tire at that psi is rated to carry the weight. I will typically only do this after a fatal crash and there are indications tires played a factor in the crash or I am doing a routine inspection and tires appear subpar/non-standard. Then I will measure each PSI and verify the tires are rated to handle the load.

RonDad likes this.
  18. RonDad

RonDad Active Member

I think part of this decision is how frequently you tow. Should be able to get P rated that handle the max capacity of an F150 (given that you’d have to add a weight distributing hitch at the right time). If you’re only towing a small percentage of the time, P rated are widely accepted to give a better/quieter highway ride.

Adjusting PSI to the load conditions is also good advice. I tow the pop up with the same pressure as normal driving. But would increase/decrease with heavy cargo - of if/when we ever go to the dark side.

19. SlinginIron

SlinginIron Active Member

It depends on where you go. You stated mostly highway and very little off road. If you are taking gravel roads in the mountains I would steer clear of a passenger vehicle tire. They are often 4 ply, and I've had to utilize the spare way too often with those to recommend them (rock punctures only no sidewall damage). If it was me, I'd go LT load range E (10 ply). Someone previously mentioned bfg at tires, I think they are great, I've also run the general tire ATX. The generals were great as well. Michelin makes more of a highway tire that reduces road noise and consistently lasts 70000 miles. As far as road noise and a rougher ride, I really have to disagree with some of the posts. Tire technology has come a long way and the noise from an all terrain now isn't much more than a highway tire. The ride is the big difference. I have 10 ply ATs on both my F-150 as well as my wife's explorer and the ride is much better on those than it was on bfg ATs previous version just a few years back. Very comparable ride to a passenger tire! You get what you pay for with tires as with other things. Good luck!

kcsa75 likes this.
  20. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Does anyone air down their tires for a more comfy ride while towing? (Towing a popup--not something heavy...)