Should I get the platinum protection on my new Pop up?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by rurbaniak, Jun 15, 2020.

1. rurbaniak

rurbaniak New Member

2. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Those are notorious profit makers for the dealer. You could DIY and save about 90% and use the savings to self insure if there ever is an issue.

rurbaniak and myride like this.
  3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Ditto

rurbaniak likes this.
  4. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

Hard no.

rurbaniak likes this.
  5. rurbaniak

rurbaniak New Member

Thank you everyone! I ask the dealer how much, and just said that it adds $5 to the payment, not actually answering my question of how much it cost. But I pretty much hate these kinds of plans anyways.

6. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Lol! I used to buy from a Snap On Tools dealer who used a similar tactic - "How much for the socket set?....$10 a week"

kcsa75, 1380ken and rurbaniak like this.
  7. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Warranties normally cover everything except what break. [::)]

Sjm9911, Jimbow and rurbaniak like this.
  8. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

LOL.......I have lots of Snap On, MAC, and Cornwell stuff that cost more than Gold of an equal weight! I used to hang at my brother in law's shop too damn much.

A Ford dealer near me used to sell the fancy fabric protection stuff to new car buyers........You would always see the nosepickers that worked back in their detail/prep area running down to Ace Hardware buying up all the Scotchgard.

kcsa75 and rurbaniak like this.
  9. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Since most finance places want to stretch it out to ten year that's 120 payments at $5 each or $600. But I'll bet that dealer $5 is closer to your $10 than their $5.

rurbaniak likes this.
  10. rurbaniak

rurbaniak New Member

Yea, exactly it, 120 payments. He's definitely hard-selling me on this too, "nothing but heart ache", "no one ever turns it down". Well, I am so deal with that. Lol

kcsa75 likes this.
  11. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

You need to look at how long and how good is the original warranty. I almost never get protection plans but it may be a good thing with a pop up.

12. rurbaniak

rurbaniak New Member

And finally, did a search on this company, I'm seeing the same kind of complaints as with other protection plans that they don't end up covering or fixing the damage. I know with the couch protection plan i had was a complete rip off. They make you jump through a bunch of loop holes and do things just right, to maybe cover you.

13. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Along with what others said....Not to mention the hassle of trying to schedule it in for repairs.
    Plus being a pop up you will be shuffled to the bottom of list.
    You will hear everything from its our busy season to...We don't work on pop ups.
    Just about everything is gonna fall under normal wear and tear which gives them a out as well.
    My own personal experience is...You are on your own once it leaves the lot....They got the money and are done
    with you.
    Again...Just my own experience.

kcsa75 likes this.
  14. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

It's ironic. You would think that if a company believed in the quality of their product (I'm speaking in general terms, not just RVs), they would put a lifetime warranty on it, confident that it would never break. You want to says that to these salesmen when they push the extended warranties. "Is this product made so poorly that your company won't stand behind it, for life?"

Rik Peery likes this.
  15. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Agree...They tell you how great their product is when they are trying to sell it to you.
    I like to pit them against each other...When i say i have been shopping and tell them what and where.
    It never fails they break out all the reasons their product is better.
    It is quite entertaining.
    Turning them on each other is a good way to drive prices down.

16. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

The big money makers are: Gap insurance, etched glass, fabric protection, and extended warranty.

Rik Peery likes this.
  17. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

A lifetime warranty on something as complicated as a popup is not realistic unless it was a very well made very expensive popup.

18. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I guess you missed the part where I said "I'm speaking in general terms, not just RVs".

I would not expect a lifetime warranty on a vehicle or RV, but a blender, yes. So why shouldn't the individual parts of a RV, like the refrigerator, AC, and inverter have a lifetime warranty?

And think about this, the average RV doesn't get the same use as other vehicles. It's not like your car or truck where it gets used every day and has thousands of miles put on it every year. The average RV (not including full-timers) may see that one big cross-country trip in its lifetime with the original owner. After that, maybe eight trips a year under 300 miles each for a total of 2,400 miles a year. Most cars get that in under two months. So would it be too much to ask for the same type of warranty on your camper as you have on your tow vehicle?

It always gets me how a piece of camping equipment, like a grill, has a part that breaks after two or three year. That is only 90 to 135 uses (based on 5 uses per trip (D/B/L/D/B) and 8 trip per year), and most likely a lot less time then that. Wouldn't you be upset if you got less then five months use out of your kitchen blender? Yes, camping gear can get handled a bit rougher than a kitchen blender, but it also costs more than their household counterparts. So why not a better warranty to go with the high price.

neighbormike likes this.
  19. soflopopup

soflopopup Member

Hard NO! The package they tried on us was over $7,000! That's half the cost of the new camper. I took the gap insurance (obviously) and the tire/towing extension- 5 year. That added on about $1200.

When we bought our truck in 2015, we got the tire extension an we've gotten 5 tires replaced (3 Last month)!! At nearly $400 a tire it was well worth it. Not saying a camper tire is worth that much, but just the convenience of not worrying about it or towing. It also covers Towing of the camper AND tow vehicle.

When I got my car last year (2019 highlander) I said no to everything except Gap!

20. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

You can buy gap privately for half the price.