Should I go along?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by tstowe, Apr 7, 2015.

1. bropaul

bropaul New Member

At least one has a happy face! [LOL]

I am so fortunate that my DH and I both love to camp and we share the set up and break down duties. We carry things out to the van, I pack it and he does the driving. Once at the CG, I help with leveling, he cranks it up, sets the stabilizers, pulls out the bunks (both kings) and lifts the sink. I pass him the camping chairs and tables we store inside and I set up the dinette table and couch. He will set up the door and put up the shepherd's poles and I take care of the bungee cords and anchoring the cords for the SHW PUGs. We share setting up the awning, RV mat and add a room, it's so much easier with 2 pair of hands. He does the propane and turns on the frig, I make the bed, hang the curtains, set up my shelf units, unpack the food and hang our patio lights. Then it's out to our 'patio' with a cold drink and relaxing in our rocking chairs. [:D] After a week (or two) of camping, it's basically the reverse but I raise the stabs and lower the roof and tuck the canvas. Then he gets to pack the front storage locker, hooks her up and drives us home. Everything is unload from the van, I put stuff away, do the laundry and pack everything back in the proper tubs so it's ready for the next trip. I think it's a pretty even split of duties for something we both truly enjoy.

I can't imagine not using the RV patio mat, I usually have to sweep several times a day even though we always use it. (We have a camping dog so all 'dirt' is blamed on him!) We plan our meals and DH does 90% of the cooking because he likes it. I love when he 'grills' ... it's usually less clean up for me! We also dry camp and it's some of our favorite trips, usually more wildlife and less people. :) The campfire is totally DH's domain, I will help load and unload the firewood but splitting wood and building the fire is all up to him. We are seniors and realize if we didn't help each other we probably would not be able to camp nearly as often as we do.

Diane

2. tstowe

tstowe New Member

Yeah... 12 year olds... go figure. :)

3. bropaul

bropaul New Member

OH, it's only just begun! [LOL] Hold onto your hat, it may be a bumpy ride! [;)] This is when parents earn their wings and/or gray hair. Keep in mind, there may be times you do not 'like' her but at that time she may not like or understand herself, it's just hormones. They do return to 'normal', eventually! Good luck, Dad.

Diane

4. tstowe

tstowe New Member

Too late for the gray hair part... LOL

Yeah, love her... don't always like her. At least I still have the six year old. :)

5. Tacoma641

Tacoma641 Member

Even with the popup I still cook some things outside. Fish being one of them. " I take more than I need dear because I want you to be as comfortable as possible". "Your comfort has never been a burden for me". Works well..

6. vmswilliamson

vmswilliamson Member

You have some valid points, however, she may have some valid points as well. This is your first adventure in a NTU PU. Your now figuring out what you need or don't need. I get that. I've read everyone elses input and yet no one has offered the most logical....take everything you normally take the first time, and maybe the second time, out too. I understand your wife is trying to simplify/reduce everything you bring and I understand you think you need everything you have been bringing. So go camping. Evaluate what you do and don't use and see if there are things you might change. You may find there are some things you don't need to pack and she may realize it was a good thing you insisted on bring....well whatever you brought that was needed but she thought you could do without.

But most of all - have fun with the PU and with the family! Lucky you to have a NTU PU for new and fun adventures.

7. michaeltdyer

michaeltdyer Member

I do draw the line at cooking some things in the PUP - grilling and frying is best done outside. My wife understands this helps with cleanup so we always bring the Coleman Stove and Grilling Griddle. Most campsites have picnic tables so we just set up there and it does not take too much space in the PUP. I limit cooking inside to coffee and things that are boiled.

8. tstowe

tstowe New Member

This PU is NTU... we've had an older one for six or seven years.

See here's the thing... We need this stuff.

I'd like to bring less... especially since I'm the one who packs everything... and sets it up... and brakes it down... and cleans it up... and puts it away at home. BUT the only way I can see us bringing less is if everyone else brings more.

I pack the stuff so I brought it. Everything went well. Cooked outside. Stayed dry under the tarp. [:D]

9. vmswilliamson

vmswilliamson Member

What is most important is you had a great time with the family aaannnddd stayed dry under the tarp! [:D] :)

10. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

My experience has been almost identical. When we had our pup, I kept adding more gadgets and stuff I wanted. But setup /break down became longer and longer. With our TT, I have refused to go down this path. Setup and break down are no more than 15 to 20 minutes. Camping life is so much more enjoyable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. travisma

travisma New Member

I've been able to reduce some of the items we take with us, but have added others. [:(]

I try to keep some things packed in the PUP, power cords, coffee maker, etc.

But, we also tent camp still, so I have to keep a lot of items packed in tubs so they can go with us no matter how we camp.