Should I leave my pop up plugged in while closed and parked at home?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Sms133, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Sms133

Sms133 New Member

I have a 2005 Fleetwood Sea Pine. Just installed a brand new 27DC battery. I understand that the battery charges while the pop up is plugged in to an outlet. Should I leave the pop up plugged in and keep the battery charging while it’s closed and parked at home?

Susan Premo likes this.
  2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

If you don`t plan to disconnect the battery when the trailer is parked at home then yes but the better choice is to install a battery disconnect switch so parasitic draw in your camper doesn`t kill the battery.

3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

either disconnect and maintain ever 1-3 months or leave connected measuring your battery's voltage compared to the battery makers float voltage. I generally use solar to maintain but leaves prohibit that from time to time so I plug in.

4. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

Disconnect the battery and connect it to a float charger. If the battery isn't sealed, check levels once a month or so and top up (with distilled water) if needed.

grandpa mikey likes this.
  5. Sms133

Sms133 New Member

The battery box does have a dial that switches between off, 1, 2, both (2 and both if I have a second battery connected). So should I turn the dial to off and leave the pop up plugged in?

6. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

If the trailer is just sitting there parked, not being used, with the battery disconnected there`s no reason to power the trailer.

xxxapache and bols2Dawall like this.
  7. Sms133

Sms133 New Member

The battery is still connected, so the reason to power the trailer would be to keep the battery charged. I was mainly curious if that was the best option for the battery or if disconnecting the battery and keeping it disconnected in the garage or hooking it up to a float charger would be better.

8. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Disconnect and charge every 4 to 6 weeks with a charger that will put out 14.6 volts or better during the bulk stage. This will "stir" the acid in the battery to maintain an even charge. Set a reminder on your phone so you don't forget.

xxxapache and jackquontee like this.
  9. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Active Member

It sounds like your trailers battery box does have a battery disconnect....can you provide a picture of that switch and the wiring to the battery's.
    If I were too assume that is a battery disconnect switch then if it is in the off position you will not be charging the battery when connected to shore power(this is assuming there is no separate cable running directly to the battery by passing the switch). So as others state you would need to use an external device to keep them maintained. If your trailer does charge the battery when connected to shore power then you would need to leave that switch set to both batteries(again assuming there is no dedicated wire running from the charging circuit back to the battery's). But this may be ill advised because then you are not sure about what else is running in the trailer and now you are just wasting electricity from your house.

10. Ironmonger

Ironmonger Member

For what it's worth, I disconnect my battery unless I'm using the PUP. I'll check the acid level and put it on a battery maintainer about 3 days a month, and might charge it for a few more before leaving for a trip. I'm certainly no expert, but it works for me.

Mark CASTELLANI likes this.
  11. Iris Thomas

Iris Thomas New Member

LotFancy switch was easy to install. I mounted it on the side of the battery box. I had to cut down the bolts so they wouldn’t stick too far into the box and interfere with the battery. I disconnected the red wire from the positive (+) battery post and attached it to one of the switch ports. I purchased (Battery Cables – LotFancy 8 AWG 24 Inches Power Inverter Cables for Car Marine Solar ATV Lawn Mower Motorcycle, 3/8-Inch Lugs (Positive and Negative)) and used the red cable to connect the other switch post to my positive (+) post on my battery. I didn’t use the black cable that came with it. Works great.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Active Member

13. Susan Premo

We have a deep cycle marine battery, we know next to nothing about this, but we bought it fully charged, and drove it home in October, we just brought it to an O'Reilly's and they charged it. Didn't seem to take long, less than 15 min. But! We do have a trickle chage battery charger, a friend gave us, I think we charge it on a 12 volt mode, at 6. I think we're over thinking it. Anyone have more information to share?

14. jeepster04

jeepster04 Active Member

Ive never seen a reason to keep a trickle charger or maintainer on a battery that isn't hooked up. I always charge the battery and unhook it on all equipment that sits over the winter.

15. Susan Premo

Wow, and it's good to go the next season? I was under the impression that it would go dead. I'm on a aliner help site, and the head person, john Pfiel, I think that's the spelling, says to do that. We just brought it to a O'Reilly's to have them charge it, took minutes. Do you keep your battery inside your house or in a garage, were in Minnesota so, not sure which is best, were newbies to all this. We tent camped until starting next spring.

16. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Susan, all my 12V batteries that are not in the camper (four of them) are on Battery Tenders (not trickle chargers). My camper 12V batteries (two of them) get maintained by the camper's solar system, but if that system was not present I would plug the camper's converter in to my exterior house 110V AC outlet. (the converter is Progressive Dynamics unit, and has a good charging profile).

17. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Don't know where Jeepster04 resides, but I spent 2 winters in North Dakota, in the Red River Valley. We needed battery blankets, dipstick heaters, and water hose heaters. I tend to err on the safe side. If in Minnesota, I would take the battery in the garage and use a maintainer. I prefer a slower charge rate than what the quick chargers do.

18. jeepster04

jeepster04 Active Member

The camper is in the garage and the battery is charged and unhooked. I bring the boats, tractor, and jet ski batteries in the garage for the winter. The batteries are always charged when the season ends and before the season starts. Been doing this for many many years.

My dad did leave a battery unhooked in one of his boats outside since 2017. I pulled it out this fall, charged it, and used it for a week in the popup. No reason to buy a new battery at the end of the season.

Susan Premo likes this.
  19. Susan Premo

Where are you located? Cold climate? That's pretty cool, especially the part about your dad.

20. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

Put a battery disconnect switch on, and disconnect the battery after each trip. Charge it before the next trip. At the end of the season, charge the battery and bring it inside.