Should I leave my pop up plugged in while closed and parked at home?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Sms133, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Sms133

Sms133 New Member

I have a 2005 Fleetwood Sea Pine. Just installed a brand new 27DC battery. I understand that the battery charges while the pop up is plugged in to an outlet. Should I leave the pop up plugged in and keep the battery charging while it’s closed and parked at home?

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

If you don`t plan to disconnect the battery when the trailer is parked at home then yes but the better choice is to install a battery disconnect switch so parasitic draw in your camper doesn`t kill the battery.

DigitalGuru and Rik Peery like this.
  3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

either disconnect and maintain ever 1-3 months or leave connected measuring your battery's voltage compared to the battery makers float voltage. I generally use solar to maintain but leaves prohibit that from time to time so I plug in.

4. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

Disconnect the battery and connect it to a float charger. If the battery isn't sealed, check levels once a month or so and top up (with distilled water) if needed.

5. Sms133

Sms133 New Member

The battery box does have a dial that switches between off, 1, 2, both (2 and both if I have a second battery connected). So should I turn the dial to off and leave the pop up plugged in?

6. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

If the trailer is just sitting there parked, not being used, with the battery disconnected there`s no reason to power the trailer.

bols2Dawall likes this.
  7. Sms133

Sms133 New Member

The battery is still connected, so the reason to power the trailer would be to keep the battery charged. I was mainly curious if that was the best option for the battery or if disconnecting the battery and keeping it disconnected in the garage or hooking it up to a float charger would be better.

8. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Disconnect and charge every 4 to 6 weeks with a charger that will put out 14.6 volts or better during the bulk stage. This will "stir" the acid in the battery to maintain an even charge. Set a reminder on your phone so you don't forget.

jackquontee likes this.
  9. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Active Member

It sounds like your trailers battery box does have a battery disconnect....can you provide a picture of that switch and the wiring to the battery's.
    If I were too assume that is a battery disconnect switch then if it is in the off position you will not be charging the battery when connected to shore power(this is assuming there is no separate cable running directly to the battery by passing the switch). So as others state you would need to use an external device to keep them maintained. If your trailer does charge the battery when connected to shore power then you would need to leave that switch set to both batteries(again assuming there is no dedicated wire running from the charging circuit back to the battery's). But this may be ill advised because then you are not sure about what else is running in the trailer and now you are just wasting electricity from your house.

10. Ironmonger

Ironmonger Member

For what it's worth, I disconnect my battery unless I'm using the PUP. I'll check the acid level and put it on a battery maintainer about 3 days a month, and might charge it for a few more before leaving for a trip. I'm certainly no expert, but it works for me.