Should i pull the trigger on an 08 Fleetwood Avalon

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by atomicwuffie, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Agfadoc

Agfadoc Member

If you are a DIY'er, then you can go cheaper, if not you are going to pay. That's the long and short of it, but you should get something.

I go camping to relax, and that includes the ride to the camping spot, $500 is a small price to pay for a whole lot of comfort.

2. atomicwuffie

atomicwuffie New Member

Thanks for all the help so far. I have another question about the bunkend canvas. The dealer sent me pictures and the roofs of the canvas have dirt spots. I can't tell if they ar on the inside or out. Can these be cleaned? Should I be concerned enough not to purchase?

3. chipperone1

chipperone1 Member

Buy the one you like, mods can always come later. Axles, tires, whatever you need or want.

There is a big difference between sway bars and a WDH, for 500.00 I would guess it is a WDH and if so I would advise you to get one with built in sway control like an Equalizer 600/6000.

Post the pics from the dealer so we can see.

4. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Buying NTU camper means you will have to do some work, most of the time. You want to ensure you have a "solid core unit" at a fair price and the rest is a matter of how much time and money you are willing to put into a "solid core unit".

By this I mean a unit that has no major work needed for the price you pay.

They are good machines if taken care of!

5. atomicwuffie

atomicwuffie New Member

Check out the roof in the bunkend. Is this a lot of mildew? This is the second Avalon with screen door problem, specifically the white panel. The dealer says they can clean the bunkend and fix the door. Overall I think its in pretty good condition.

[smg id=4881 type=preview align=center caption="2009 FLEETWOOD AVALON 005 Copy Copy"][smg id=4882 type=preview align=center caption="2009 FLEETWOOD AVALON 037"][smg id=4883 type=preview align=center caption="2009 FLEETWOOD AVALON 038"]

6. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

I bought my Avalon new. But, it was most likely the show model because it became apparent it had been open near the freeway for at least a year. When I got it home, I found black soot all over the fabric and soot and and an oily film on the windows. I cleaned the fabric with simple green and the windows with a very diluted solution of dawn dish soap followed by clean water. Everything came out fine. The manual says to clean with Woolite. There is apparently a coating in the fibers of the sumbrella fabric that can be destroyed by some detergents and cleaners. So be careful what you clean with. In my opinion, the dark spots are not a deal killer. Use them as a negotiating tool. And make sure it is not water damage. Take a good look at the floor and side panels.

J

7. atomicwuffie

atomicwuffie New Member

I guess it was a foregone conclusion for most based on my excitement, but I bought the 09 avalon. The family is so excited. First trip fort wilderness disney!

8. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

Right on! Fellow Avalon owner. You won't vibe disappointed. Send some pics so we can see it. Note the above pics are protected or something cause I can't see them. Says I'm not allowed.

Anyway congrats. Clink on my camera link if your interested. It will show you my rig and maybe give you some ideas to add to your ntu pup.

Happy Campin'

J

9. Bjess

Bjess Quiet Time

I bought an 08 Avalon Friday for $11K tax, tag, title included. Towed it 197 miles down I-75 and Florida Turnpike to a local campground. No sway bar, no problem pulling a steady 70 MPH. The dealer I purchased from said as long as it was loaded properly (balance your weight) that I wouldn't need it. We did have to make sure that the ball sat at the exact height of the tongue when sitting level to achieve optimum tongue weight. After camping in a basic Flagstaff for pup for the past 3 years I feel like I am in 5 star hotel. The size is enormous. Mine is an 08 and has the 14in alloy wheels.

10. Bjess

Bjess Quiet Time

Forgot to add the answer to your topic. If it is good shape....pull the trigger! You will not regret the purchase if the unit is in great shape.

11. ChocoChock01

You will really enjoy the Highlander series, and you have a good size TV for it. WD and sway does make the tow ride better and easier. Ours is #500 lighter but I notice the difference hooking them up vs. not (TV = Chev Tahoe).
    $11k seems like a good price for it.

12. atomicwuffie

atomicwuffie New Member

Thanks Bjess. We did purchase the 09 Avalon on Saturday. Got it for about what you paid plus some fairly excessive dealer processing fees of $600 [:(!] I towed it home, about a 5.5 hour trip, with no WD or sway bar with absolutely no problems. Based on recommendations on this thread I will install a sway bar before our trip which luckily came with the unit! We too are excited about the Avalon and the added amenities! I do have a question for you Fleetwood Highlander owners, what kind of maintenance do you perform on your roof? I'm coming from an 01 Coleman Utah with the ABS roof so I'm ultra sensitive about roof condition? What do I need to seal? Also, what are these tracks running front to back on both sides? Thanks.

13. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

Without a picture I am just guessing, but the tracks on both sides are for an awning.

We have a 2008 Niagara and it has the awning tracks on both sides of the popup.

Congrats on your new pup. [8D]

14. santafe8

santafe8 New Member

The avalon being a high end model of fleetwood, I would assume you have awning. The tracks you are talking about the top ones?
    I have a 2008 santa fe and mine has a roof rack system on top with one bike rack. Congratulations on your new purchase, and like many of us here, camping season can't get here fast enough. My first trip with my santa fe is scheduled middle of next month. Have lots of fun

15. atomicwuffie

atomicwuffie New Member

The tracks are on top of the roof, not for the awning. Was there a specific roof rack that went with the Fleetwood Highlander's? Can I still get it?

16. ChocoChock01