Should i sell these?

Discussion in 'For Sale and Wanted' started by Kholcomb89, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Kholcomb89

Kholcomb89 New Member

I am going hard sided and want to delete the roof top ac and the wiffletree in my 88 coleman shenandoah. What would you ask for them. Both are in working order.

1380ken likes this.
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

1st , I want to kn ow how your going to go hardsided.

Kholcomb89, shuang2 and xxxapache like this.
  3. Kholcomb89

Kholcomb89 New Member

My husband has that plan in his head im more so here for design and moral support. We do know we're using aluminum studs and thin boards where we're able to reduce the weight. We're planning to keep the slide outs at the moment but that could change as we get into the process. I plan to document everything. This is brand new to us but my dad and husband have a solid background in engineering, mechanics and building so together I think its possible. Of course We're modifying the axles and suspension to account for any extra weight added.

J Starsky and 1380ken like this.
  4. Sjm9911

Will it be staying up like a TT? Or will you pop it up? Campers get hot, AC is nice. You may want to see if you need it before you get rid of it. Someone will buy it for sure if you can prove it works. Take a video of it running with a heat gun to prove its cold.

5. Sjm9911

Just thinking on it, it may be cheaper to get a TT then redo a pup to act like one. And it will probably be more stable and lighter. Not taking away anything from you guys , but im sure the first build for anything can have its problums. Unless its for the advanture, then go for it. [:D]

xxxapache likes this.
  6. Kholcomb89

Kholcomb89 New Member

We're going with a portable ac unit we don't want anything on the roof as to try to avoid spots for leaks. And it will stay up like a travel trailer. The camper was free as have most of our supplies thus far. We'll see what happens. :)

1380ken likes this.
  7. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Someone on here turned a PUP into a hybrid with hard sides and pull out canvas bunkends. As for the AC I would keep it on the roof. Those portables don't cool as well as a properly working roof AC. Portables also take up floor or counterspace both are a premium in a camper.

8. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Member

I saw a picture of a PUP that the bunk ends were removed and the canvas was secured straight to the front and back like the sides. The top raised up like a normal pup and the door was put down. Instant up, super EZ, super light. This thing looked like it would be faster than a A liner to put up. For 2 people and a dog named Nasty perfect size. Put some bigger tires on it and drive it like you stole it. Right now we have 2017 that sleeps 8 and has a shower. If it was older it would be in the chop shop right now. Actually a high wall with a slide out would be perfect. We need A/C down here in Texas so I would keep that. Maybe find a place for a cool cat and put an aluminum boat on the roof. Help me out on the wiffletree here, I am almost 70 but, that blew by my brain. Get rid of the bunk ends and a hard side would be semi simple.

Kholcomb89 likes this.
  9. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

The metal studs are a great idea.

Kholcomb89 likes this.
  10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

The wiffletree is Coleman’s lift system.
    @Kholcomb89 as far as selling the wiffletree I’m thinking someone may need parts. Parts are on short supply and selling for $$$. So people may be more receptive to look at used parts if for sale. As far as the AC that is ultimately your decision and where you all live. As for me, my area can see 100 degree weather at times and humid and no way a portable can keep up with that. It may have more luck in hard sided, but I don’t have that experience. It will take up some critical counter space though which is another reason to keep a rooftop unit. Just my two cents.

WannaTravel and Kholcomb89 like this.
  11. Kholcomb89

Kholcomb89 New Member

What do you mean help you out with the wiffletree?

12. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

We see PUPS turned into fish houses in MN all the time, even a couple vending trucks too.

You are not in totally uncharted territory~! Have fun!

Kholcomb89 likes this.
  13. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I don't see many posts about leaking roof A/Cs. The leaks I see are due to poor maintenance on the roof seams. Most pups have a couple panels with a seam down the middle, or in thirds, plus the seams on the edges and corners of the roof. If you are rebuilding and modifying as extensively as you are, I would keep the A/C, make sure the roof is properly braced following the rebuild and install a new gasket and you will be fine.

If you are dispensing with the slide out bunks completely, and just going with a square box then a BIG portable might be OK, assuming you have adequately insulated your new walls. Otherwise I think you will find the portable inadequate for your needs. I have not had much luck running on just a portable, but I am down here in TX where the heat kills people.

Kholcomb89 likes this.
  14. Kholcomb89

Kholcomb89 New Member

We're in nc and are used to tent camping with only a small battery powered fan. Where we camp is 99% in the mountains where I'm also using my jeep to go 4 wheeling. Its only a fraction of the humidity we're used to in Central nc. I think the ac would be used mainly to sleep. After talking to my husnand we've decided it would be unsafe to sell the ac unit as the camper was covered in black mold from years of moisture when we tested it a ton of debris came out so to prevent anyone from getting sick we tossed it.