Show me your Griddle Cookin'!

Patrick w

Aug 13, 2021
Camped last weekend and used the Blackstone for the first time away from home. I learned that leveling the griddle properly is important...especially when making a big pile of scrambled eggs. Breakfast was looking great and I was all set to snap a photo, poured on a bowl full of beaten eggs for scrambling....then had to scramble myself to keep the eggs from all running out of the hole in the back and down into the grease trap. Some quick two-handed spatula work while hollering for my wife to find something to tilt the griddle forward saved all but a half-egg worth in the end. Everything turned out fine but I was too flustered by then to get a photo. I'll have to either bring a level along or remember to stuff something in the grease port when I'm cooking something that 'flows'. Everything we cooked turned out great, just need to get in some more practice!
Easier with a biscuit cutter or an egg ring. Simple sheet metal ring, crack your egg in it on the griddle, egg doesn't run away.

Tonya Harding

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2018
Virginia
I eat like that at home on occasion, not in the woods lol; not much you can do w/ a Jet Boil & a single burner butane Coleman, but it works for us, & I got more space for yaks & fishing gear...

Jimbow

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Nov 30, 2012
Camped last weekend and used the Blackstone for the first time away from home. I learned that leveling the griddle properly is important...especially when making a big pile of scrambled eggs. Breakfast was looking great and I was all set to snap a photo, poured on a bowl full of beaten eggs for scrambling....then had to scramble myself to keep the eggs from all running out of the hole in the back and down into the grease trap. Some quick two-handed spatula work while hollering for my wife to find something to tilt the griddle forward saved all but a half-egg worth in the end. Everything turned out fine but I was too flustered by then to get a photo. I'll have to either bring a level along or remember to stuff something in the grease port when I'm cooking something that 'flows'. Everything we cooked turned out great, just need to get in some more practice!

I cut up a bunch of 1/4" plywood as shims in addition to the little bit of adjustment the feet have. Ultimately I discovered leveling the legs of my table was easier. I've played with a slight tilt forward which seemed nice until some bacon grease was in danger of spilling out the front. Tilted to the back as you've discovered is bad on eggs.

jamsomito

Apr 11, 2021
Artisan smash burgers for dinner tonight (we can't think of a better name...). Keep the ground beef cold, roll into a ball and immediately put into a hot griddle. Smash HARD with a burger smasher as thin as you can make it. Season to taste. It'll be stuck to the griddle top - this is that nice tasty crust that you want. Scrape the burgers off the griddle after a few minutes and flip, no need to smash again. Add a slice of cheese after a minute or so (we used Gouda). Then put on a bun.

20220808_181017.jpg

20220808_182129.jpg
Then we added some sweet hot pepper jam...
20220808_182321.jpg
And topped with bacon, mayonnaise, and arugula.
20220808_182418.jpg

Now that's a treat in eatin' you'll keep repeatin'.
20220808_182624.jpg

Patrick w

Aug 13, 2021
Fyi on griddle hoods/lids... Blackstone griddles are the only company that have lids. Unless you buy a bbq and put a griddle on it.
The razor also has a lid. And their customer service has been top notch. I had some pieces damaged during shipping. They sent replacements asap!

TommyT

Oct 20, 2021

TommyT

Oct 20, 2021
Hi! This is TomT lol
This year, making eggs for 14 teens a the AirVenutre airshow at Oshkosh, WI, I used a cake pan that stretched over two burners. High sides. Kid kept stirring with a silicone spatula until ready to serve. Way easier than the griddle.

Coreym95

Jun 6, 2020
Fyi on griddle hoods/lids... Blackstone griddles are the only company that have lids. Unless you buy a bbq and put a griddle on it.
The Pit Boss griddles with the ceramic surface have lids too. I know Walmart sells one model in store, the Seria.

jamsomito

Apr 11, 2021
Made up some chicken tenders with heavy sauce. It worked okay. These in particular ended up like blackened chicken - the seasoning and sauce was kind of burned but the chicken inside was moist and delicious. Started too hot (note for next time)

Attachments

• 20220815_180428.jpg
    20220815_180428.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 16

jamsomito

Apr 11, 2021
Made up some more wraps. This time they were Lunch Wrap Supremes. Tortilla quadrants are guacamole, ground beef with taco seasoning, salsa, and shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Top with melted queso sauce and these were an instant hit. So good.

Attachments

• 20220816_182139.jpg
    20220816_182139.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 11

jamsomito

Apr 11, 2021
The next morning we made some eggs in a basket and sausages. The kiddos have a good time with these :)

The hardest part is finding a cup or cookie cutter that will be big enough for the egg but small enough to stay within the crust of the bread. I find a mason jar works perfect.

Attachments

• 20220820_074714.jpg
    20220820_074714.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220820_075207.jpg
    20220820_075207.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220820_075644.jpg
    20220820_075644.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220820_075852.jpg
    20220820_075852.jpg