Show off you new Travel Trailer, 5th Wheel, Slide-in or Motorhome here.

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by dschlosser, Mar 5, 2012.

1. PUP_RN

PUP_RN New Member

We brought our TT home on Saturday... can't wait to get out for our first trip! So excited to not have to worry about taking down bunk ends in the rain. Enjoying 'camp driveway' right now.

Attached Files:

2. bsandey

bsandey Active Member

I don't have it yet, but I will be picking it up next week. 2018 Aliner Ascape.

[​IMG]

3. Deesko

Deesko Member

TT.jpg TT2.jpg tt3.jpg

Picked up our 2018 Coachmen Apex 289TBSS last month. Picked it up, drove it home, loaded it up and took it camping that same night in Cunningham Falls State Park, MD.

Ductape and Takamine like this.
  4. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

Nice camper. We camp at Cunningham falls every mother's day weekend. It was our first trip ever with a camper when we moved from the tent! The falls is now our ritual season opener.

5. Deesko

Deesko Member

Nice!

Cunningham is only about an hour or so drive for us, straight up 15, the only thing that sucks is that we don't get any cell coverage while we are there (on AT&T). Eventually we will need to stay there again since the rain kept us from hiking up to the falls while we were there last time.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

That's a neat looking camper. Reminds me of a teardrop trailer but not as claustrophobic.

bob barnes likes this.
  7. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

all this weighs is 1400 how does it tow?

8. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

but you are supposed to be getting away from the electronics so no cell coverage is supposed to be a good thing;) (btw - verizon works there). We are also about an 45 minutes from Cuningham Falls - we are coming from Baltimore. maybe we will see you there sometime.

bob barnes likes this.
  9. Deesko

Deesko Member

LOL

Wifey is a real estate agent and we own a convenience store in Old Town Alexandria so no such luck on escaping. Even when we're off, we're still sorta-kinda on.

As my wife says, writing a contract fireside while roasting marshmallows is still better than writing a contract anywhere else.

Hopefully we'll get back up there, maybe later in the fall when it starts thinning out again, the kids are still harassing us about hiking up to the falls.

bob barnes likes this.
  10. bob barnes

people don't realize how taxing owning a retail store of any sort is for an independent. How do you manage to get any time off you must have family to depend on!

11. Deesko

Deesko Member

Well, we have 4 great employees so that helps, but you're right, it's extremely taxing and you're basically always just a text message or phone call away from averting some sort of catastrophe even if you aren't physically in the store. Plus I have a regular full-time job so the store is like my 2nd job that just happens to require more hours than my first job, but pays significantly less. LOL.

We worked out a plan where two of our employees suck it up and work one whole weekend & I have that whole weekend off (Fri-Sun) and then I suck it up and work the whole next weekend (Fri-Sun) and they have off. Basically, I found a way for everyone to have at least 2 full weekends off every month so it seems to be working out for now.

12. bob barnes

Sounds like you have done something in the line of what I have done. I did the same things until I decided I wasn't getting anywhere except work myself to death. You will never find anyone to take your business to heart like you have to do after all you have your life in this thing.

Believe me the sooner you get rid of it the better off you will be. The big boys will never leave you alone they will steal your good help if you have any and devise all sorts of schemes to get you out. It hurt to finally swallow my pride and get out!

I had a business that required the person with the money to be there 24/7 or he had better be because the next day there was nothing left!

Deesko likes this.
  13. 64osby

64osby Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Made the maiden voyage on Memorial Day weekend. Lots of pre trip work paid off and we had a great time.

Not many places you get views like this...

[​IMG]

14. bob barnes

I like your rig!!!

15. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Thanks, after 2-1/2 years, we still like it ourselves. It tows much better with the Colorado than it does with the 4Runner. We just got back from a week at North Rim of Grand Canyon

16. bob barnes

Funny thing we were at the Canyon we paid our entrance fee they had a sign up no vacancy I just couldn't believe it so I went to the c/c anyway all sorts of places available. We staked out a sight and went to camping it was weird though!!

17. Deesko

Deesko Member

IMO, our neo-liberal trickle down fetish of the last 40 years is about to crash down around us as we're quickly coming to a point where wage stagnation is going to result in people being unable to support our retail, consumerist economy.

The crash in 2008 set a lot of things in motion that IMO, we're still seeing unfold. I think we are heading for a drastic shift in the retail economy that will probably trigger an economic contraction across the board which could send us into a short term tailspin of contractions making things worse, leading to more contractions. I think we're heading for another, longer term recession personally. Everyone's margins are becoming untenable, even at the wholesaler/distributor level and we are seeing unprecedented contractions even with the big boys. Something like 19 or 20 major retailers are nearing the Chapter 7 or 11 realm.

We're worrying about the coal economy that supports less than 100,000 jobs. What's going to happen when the retail economy that supports 20,000,000 (or more) jobs collapses ?

It's easy to blame it on Amazon, and they certainly expedited the path, but that's not the only issue. Millenials do not spend in the same ways or on the same things as their predecessors. They also do not, and probably will not ever have the expendable income of previous generations. They also are not as keen on going into debt to collect "stuff" the way previous generations did. They will spend a grip on an "experience" (travel, etc) but not so much on "stuff" and all of this is being generally ignored.

... but I digress.

Ultimately, we're on the path of extricating ourselves from that game as we speak. It sucks but I'm looking forward to having some personal time off. Those 90+ hour work weeks for 10+ years gets old.

(I give myself a month before I'm so antsy I won't be able to contain myself and will be looking for a new side hustle, LOL)

Enjoy your trip.

bob barnes likes this.
  18. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

The campground at North Rim is by reservation, the season is short (May 15-Oct 31; https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/cg-nr.htm). In general, all the sites are reserved, though it may be possible to check at the campground kiosk and get a cancellation site.
    Last week, the "campground full" sign was up the entire time we were there. Most of the day, there were sites that appeared to be empty. However, by dusk or so, nearly all to all of the campsites were full. The ratio of RV to pup to TT to tent varied a bit day-to-day. This is one of the places where people pull in late after sightseeing, and often pull out early. By just taking a site that appears empty, you may inhabit one that someone is planning to stay in later in the day.

19. bob barnes

It wasn't that way when we were there at all!

20. bob barnes

I have never had a problem finding a job I got fired one time called a competitor and had a new better job within 15ms. The guy who fired me couldn't believe me it told him he had just cost his company all the business they had. The had 2 people in my territory the next day within 2 mos they called me begging me to go back to work for them. I wrote the owner a letter telling him I was going to turn his company into a memory within 2 years it only took 1.
    After their shoddy treatment of me their customers wouldn't deal with them any longer!

Take my word for it if you are good and can make your company money which is hard for most people to understand you will never have difficulty keeping or having a job. After working for some nasty bosses I decided one day I was never putting up with that again!