Show off you new Travel Trailer, 5th Wheel, Slide-in or Motorhome here.

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by dschlosser, Mar 5, 2012.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Depends on when you were there. Over the years, it has gotten much more popular, and it does vary a bit by season. Even a few years ago, we were able to get reservations not all that much in advance. Two years ago, when DH took a raft trip with a friend, by the time we knew they had a permit for the trip and the dates, 3 or 4 months in advance, I could not get reservations to visit the North Rim in June. These days, we make sure to be online when they open, 6 months in advance.
    There are always some no-shows and cancellations. A friend and I had trouble on the road a few years ago and were not able to make it for the first night of camping. We called ahead, to make sure our site was saved. So yes, the site was not occupied that night, but it was reserved. (If we'd wanted to do so, we could have plodded along and arrived in the middle of the night. Too old to drive that long, and driving the road in the dark is not my idea of fun - especially since the bison were in the meadows along the road that time.)

2. Salandrew

Salandrew Active Member

After a miserable night with my daughter last summer. She gets migraines and without ac or a toilet to comfort her when she got sick. We made the decision to go dark. We purchased an older Jayco in October. Parked it for the winter. When spring came around andy had a new job, and we were tired of fixing stuff. The Jayco needed a new roof... sigh. After the pop up marathon last summer, we weren't up for it. So out we went looking for something else. We came home with a 2017 Jayco 32bdsw. Of course the transmission had to start giving us fits. So we have to wait a little more for our fist trip.

Attached Files:

3. jam0911

jam0911 Member

We went to the dark side back in June. After having our second kiddo, the wife decided she wanted a bigger trailer. We went with a Starcraft Launch Ultra lite 27bhu. I must admit that our first trip out with the new trailer wasn't the same as going camping in the pop up. I guess you can say I'm a little used to it now. I really miss my popup though.

Attached Files:

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

very nice jam0911
    We found having the mindset that the TT was now the way we camped helped a lot in accepting the move. I was won over on the first night of a solo trip after we'd owned it a week, for DH it was more gradual, but he's enjoying it a lot. He still backpacks so has time in a tent - but he was happy to get back to the TT after a very wet trip. (While he was in the back country, I spent most of the afternoon-the next morning in the trailer, with pouring rain and thunderstorms. It would seem to clear off enough to go exploring, then start up again.)

5. Mtnseeker

Mtnseeker Colorado Campers 36 yrs; 29 in PU

Long time since posting: DH several back surgeries - full fusion; the PUP (Wilson we called her) was too much work setting up. 35 years of PUP camping (3 rigs) - we recently got a 21 ft TT - Sonic Lite and took her out for a shakedown last weekend at a state park in Denver. No issues ( except it was too cold and rainy to do our usual campfires and outdoor time). Learned the rules of clearing out the tanks (never had those, or a bathroom). This has nice little kitchen, dry tub in bathroom, dinette w/ bed for grandkids. Bed definitely not as comfy as in our E-1 off road PUP. Otherwise we liked it. Will always miss the smell of canvas and contact with the outdoors, but there came a time... winterizing her before 20 degree weather on Monday...

6. ThePatrams

ThePatrams Member

Just bought a Shadow Cruiser! I am in shock that we did it, but we did. We went small - the 24 foot model. But it has bunks in the back, which are awesome for our growing girls. The main reasons for buying, however, were the freezer and the power awning. Never again will we nearly murder each other while having to hand-roll the awning in during a freak, midnight storm (in four years of camping, that happened once. And once was enough for us.). And I like to go ALL summer, so having a freezer will help a ton when it comes to food storage.
    Just sad we can't camp in it until June. Such a long time away!
    IMG_20171124_133053516.jpg

RockyRoo, xxxapache and Ductape like this.
  7. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Nice looking trailer.

I wish I had a power awning....I put mine in every night in case a storm blows up in the night. My trailer has a Zip Dee brand and even the manual ones ain't cheap.

Yep, we love our freezer. I never hit the road with less than two boxes of ice cream bars and a frozen pizza or two.

8. cityfrank

cityfrank New Member

Picked up our new to us 2018 Apex Nano 193BHS today and brought it home. It will live in our driveway for a few days until to its more permanent parking spot (when we are not camping that is). Good drive home - a little nervous at first but got more comfortable as I went. Inked2018-04-17 16.19.59_LI A.jpg 2018-04-17 14.11.37.jpg

9. penny

penny Well-Known Member

a few pictures of our new to us 2006 fun finder T139 IMG_0262.JPG

Attached Files:

cityfrank likes this.
  10. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

IMG_20170627_1757460~3.jpg Aspen Glade campground CO.

11. penny

penny Well-Known Member

NICE!

12. Cysnake

Cysnake New Member

We moved to the dark side 2 years ago. Didn't want a TT, but the wife and kids (8 & 13) were getting a little too cramped for the pup. Was a little nervous about hauling it, but the color has returned to my knuckles the more I tow it.

Attached Files:

13. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

The new camper!

Attached Files:

14. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

Had it about a month now, sold off the popup to a young man who planned to take it out west and live in it for the summer. Pic is from the day I brought it home. Had our first weekend in it two weeks ago with no issues. I'm liking it a lot.

IMG_20190504_193053.jpg

RockyRoo and neighbormike like this.
  15. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

After 3 years with Gypsy, our Jayco PU, we decided to downsize and simplify setup ;). Many great adventures with out PU and hopefully it's new owners will have great trips too. Now Stevie (Nicks) is our home away from home and new adventures around the corner.

Attached Files:

neighbormike, kitphantom and RockyRoo like this.
  16. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Congrats and welcome to the Grand Design family! Check out the Imagine Owners FB page as well, can be a wealth of information and also has factory reps monitoring the page that can be helpful if needed.

17. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Neat little rig, would love to see inside pics