Shower curtain for shoilet

Discussion in 'Port-A-Potties / Cassette Toilets / Bath Houses' started by Orchid, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We have a cassette toilet / shower combo that I think I'm going to have to do some custom shower curtain job for.

First time we used the camper, it was an unexpected trip so I just stopped at Dollar General and bought the first cheap shower curtain I saw, for privacy.

I don't see how people use these things with nothing to hook the curtain to. It was all over the place. I'm thinking, when I find the one I want, I'm going to have to cut it to fit and then sew Velcro on in numerous places. I'm thinking about Velcro to hold it in place behind the toilet and along tub edges on other three sides. Has anyone else done this?

Our pup came with the outdoor shower curtain, but the one for inside was disgusting and molded. I threw it away without even looking at it. They had it folded up in a plastic box. Gross.

2. Orchid

Since I never found custom made curtains to fit these things, I made my own.

I cut it to fit around the rear of the toilet, then down and along the front wall, left full length where hard wall flips up. I got peel sand stick Velcro and put it around the inside edge of the toilet area, and flip up wall. I ended up sewing the Velcro to the curtain, as the peel and stick just wanted to pull off the curtain rather than the Velcro.

Yeah, I know I am not describing this well. I'll take some pictures after awhile and post them. I'm going to make a hard wall enclosure eventually, but this is good for now.

3. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Awe man... and I thought I was uptown with a bucket. I wanna see those pics.

4. Orchid

[LOL]

It just basically keeps the shower curtain in place so you don't accidentally flash anyone. It was impossible to keep shut with any a/c or fan on. Even without those, any little movement made it fly all over the place. It looked really sloppy prior to being cut in the back, as well. Drove me nuts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Kb2yht

Kb2yht New Member

I have a very similar setup to orchid, I set the "door" up on one side of the cutout, and ran Velcro up to the celling in 6" stripes, with about a foot between them.

Or curtain is a polyester broad cloth, so not waterproof, but keeps the shower spray in and dries out real quick.

Gets the job done.

If it's dry out tomorrow if post pictures.

6. Orchid

I'm going to need pictures for sure. [:D] I have no picture, in my head, of what yours looks like. I'd like to see it.

7. Patti Patton

Patti Patton New Member

IMG_0339.JPG

8. Patti Patton

Patti Patton New Member

I uploaded a photo, but don't know where it will end up. Technologically challenged. I hung two clear, lightweight but sturdy plastic shower curtains, each going half way around the shower and overlapping a few inches for water containment. Works, but it's ugly. Added curtain hooks to the existing hooks in the ceiling and made a patchwork curtain from black and white scraps. The inner plastic curtains go completely around with two openings since they were made from two curtains, and I situated the openings to be convenient for me, oh, and I trimmed the length fit. The outer cloth curtain only goes 3/4 around, the window is covered by the shade that came in the pop up, and slides around with the plastic one. I don't think I explained very well, but the final result is that the shoilet is waterproof, provides some semblance of privacy, attractive, movable, and can be pushed way out of the way to look more spacious. Whew!! TMI! I used black & white because I used a variety of large bright flowered material on my bedding and cushions, and my PUP was looking like a flower shop threw up in it.

9. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

My Starcraft 14RT Series came with the cassette potty combo and haas a wrap around shower curtain for the shower part of the potty. It also came with a pull curtain that goes from the trailer door all across the floor to the other side side of the trailer. Makes the front tent area private.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shower curtain rails mounted to the ceiling area. I have never seen these for sale anywhere but haven't really looked either. LOWES probably has something like this you can make work.
    [​IMG]

This works out pretty good for us making the front tent bed area more private.

I have a big problem however using the shower part of the Cassette Potty arrangement. The shower only has the hand wand and it only works good by sitting down on the pot to take your shower. There is something basically wrong doing this haha... Never know to have the lid up or down i guess... We usual just do a quick wash-up using the sink area which is outside of the privacy curtain. The potty is great to have on-board but we could almost do without the added shower part of it. Normally we take a shower at the camp ground facility and the potty is there for when you really need it haha...

I have been thinking about replacing the combo for a potty only version in my setup.

[​IMG]

Could gain some great floorspace doing this...

Hope this may give you a couple of ideas about your shower curtain thing...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Not completely on topic, but I have always wanted to get one of those KOA shower curtains for the shower on the TT..

11. Orchid

This is how our shower currently looks. I used two liners, sewn together and cut to fit. One liner is also sewn to the fabric curtain that covers the front and side. All of it Velcros to provide a sealed space.

[​IMG]

12. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I had about the same shower/toilet combo as you have. I agree wast of space for a shower we never used. Not sure it will buy you that much floor space. You will have to keep the freed up space to us the toilet. But you open a can of worms with holes from the drain and screws in the floor. Did the factory finish the floor all the way to the wall or just cut the laminate fast?? The wall under the bunkend will also have screw holes. And did the factory finish the wall all the way across or just to the shower???

Plus the utility door to access the cassette most likely will not be inline for the new toilet cassette??

13. roybraddy

I agree that I have not looked at what needs to be done exchanging the two units. Granted the access door for the cassette pull out container will be from the inside but it is close to the trailer outside access door. Pretty confident I can stand on the trailer steps and pull out the cassette tank just fine and not make a mess. This would abandon the outside access to the cassette tank like shown here...
    [​IMG]

There is also no need to run a water line to this unit as you will add water to internal tank shown here. this is how I fill mine now - takes around six gallons of fresh water poured into the unit for flushing. The potty section is totally self contained.

You would have to remove and seal the shower drain plug after you removed the old unit. This would all be under the cassette only area anyway...

I would probably move the cassette only unit in a few inches so I can salvage the existing outside cassette door to some sort of storage area. No sense loosing the use of the outside access door.

The cassette only model would have the hard top shelf that would cover the top of it. All one would do would be to pull the privacy curtain closed and use the cassette potty. When not is use the whole thing can covered with something making it completely out of sight.

Even if the wall under the tent bed end did not go all the way across this would not be a showstopper... I am pretty sure it does go all the way across the bottom of the tent bed area as I have added a new weather seal in this area. I used one that looks like this and the open end slipped over the top of the trailer wall edge and was glued into place on both tent beds ends of the trailer.. The tent bed end slides over the top of all of this when being closed up for travel.
    [​IMG]
    Of course all of these install efforts would have to be thought out... I have really not looked at the things involved here but thanks for the comments. Gets the wheels turning haha... this is all I need - another project... I got to fimish my new Battery upgrade real soon so I can get back on the road and I want to do my remove the Propane Furnace and replace it with a HYDRONIC heater for my next project.

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  14. Orchid

In my opinion, this would not open up enough floor space to make it anywhere near the cost or effort involved.

Even if you don't use the shower, the set up you currently have is more like a "room" and offers, at least the illusion of, more privacy. The shower floor can also be used to store your shower and cleaning items, with plenty of room to still step in there. Even when we use the showers at the campground (most of the time) we still keep the bag containing shampoo, conditioner, soap, razors, etc. in the shower of the camper. I also sit bottles of cleaners in there.

15. roybraddy

Yup That is exactly what I am currently doing now... Most of our carry on supplies and thing are kept in marked medium size ACTION PACKER CONTAINERS. I have four of them. Two are always kept under the wrap around setting area that uses the portable kitchen table board there all the time. The other two either end up in the open hall way or on the front deck... These all go to the house at the ends of the trips so we can resupply with items we carry on for the trips.

[​IMG]

Everything certainly has it place to be stored when you have limited open spaces to use... The last thing I push into the POPUP trailer access door is the outside folding steps I have

[​IMG]

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Orchid likes this.
  16. Orchid

This is my goal. Unfortunately, it hasn't been achieved. I need to make it happen while we are having unseasonably cold weather here in Florida. The pup is up and now is the time.

I have absolutely no clue what is out there now and what isn't. Everybody in the family "borrows" stuff out of the camper regularly, so not even sure we still have a space heater in there. We did have three (kept buying them until one worked enough to heat the whole trailer by itself.)

Thinking we took the can opener out of there somewhere along the line, along with a chopping knife. I really need to get it together and take inventory. I have to make sure the full time stuff is even in there before I can get organized enough to have a "replenish" system for the consumables.

We did mange to take a two week trip in November, with with 5 of us (two grandchildren) and had everything thrown in willy nilly. It stressed me out, though, and we did have to make some store runs.