Shrinking Vinyl Windows

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Everett Bartlett, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Everett Bartlett

Everett Bartlett Active Member

Has anyone out here in the southwest had a problem with the window Vinyl shrinking from the heat out here??? My Smoked color windows appear to have shrunk and pulled the stitching out of the zipper strip.

2. Kyle R Thorson

Kyle R Thorson Active Member

I have not had that issue with my pup, it has lived its entire life in central/southern AZ. The heat has prevented the use of using and anything that is held up by adhesive eg. 3m tape, or sticky back velcro.

3. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

I bought a Starcraft about 10 years ago that had smoked windows next to slide out dining and over the sink area. The sink one ripped all the stitching out of the vinyl on one side and the top zipper. The trailer came from AZ. I bought an industrial sewing machine (walking foot) and replaced ALL the zippers since they were all failing along with the big vinyl window. Quite the project but now things work right.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

On my old camper it had the old fashioned army tent like canvas. Mine shrunk a bit when it was put away before it was fully dry. I managed to re-stretch it by using it for the most part. Couldn’t get a couple of windows to open as I would never be able to zip it back up. Thankfully everything held secure and only caused issues at the door. Towards the end I was able to open everything normally again with little effort. I’m very thankful my seams and zippers all held. Good luck

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I remember a thread from a while back, most people had shrinkage and staining on the door side, so where you have the campfires. Just an idea.