Side to side leveling

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by cfmx, Feb 2, 2014.

1. cfmx

cfmx New Member

Since I have only owned single axle PUP and used the BAL leveler to level my camper side to side. I'm wonder how you level a dual axle camper?
    I watched on YouTube where someone just raise the rear tire with leveling blocks. Granted they only raised it 2 inches so the other tire was still on the ground but I"m wonder if this is the correct way or not. Or do you have to have enough blocks to raise both tires on the side needed?

2. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

Raycfe likes this.
  3. busdriverwc75

busdriverwc75 Chester County, PA

We're in our 7th yr with the hybrid & have always raised both (front & back) by driving up on lynx levelers. Others use boards which work as well, also. I can't say I have ever seen someone only raise one tire, except to change a flat on the side of the road.

Raycfe likes this.
  4. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

yes you have to level both axles on one side.
    most use Lynx Levelers. CW has their own yellow copies of the Lynx.
    i've only needed to put the same amount of Lynxes on each axle.
    shouldn't need to put different amounts.

BUT you need tandem axle chocks for both sides, once you've level the one side.
    do NOT rely on just plastic wedge chocks.
    plus they'll help the stabilizers keep the trailer from rocking inside.

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Agreed, the same principle applies, raise the low side.. in this case with tandem axles, raise both low side tires.. This can be done with wood planks (2x6's) or with Lynx Levelers ..

We use Lynx levelers to level the Outback .. I have made 3 boards about 10 to 12 inches wide and about 6ft long, on one end I screwed a block. I can now lay down the lynx blocks in a single layer and not have them want to slide on the ground..

The 3 boards I made all have a different thickness, IIRC they start at 1/4" (plywood) and go up to about 3/4" (2x10x6) ..

Should note that the width is same as Lynx levelers, can't remember right now if that is 10 or 12 inches...

As was mentioned right above ... Get yourself a set of tandem wheel chocks.. I have a set of home made ones like these ... [​IMG]

You can also buy something like these ..
    [​IMG]

Recently I also picked up a set of these to try in addition to my home made set...
    http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/bal-wheel-chock/5623

6. cfmx

cfmx New Member

That's what I was thinking is that both tires need raised. But the video on YouTube was from a RV Dealership.
    I'm going w/ the Tri-Lynx 00015 Lynx Levelers. 2 packs of 10. At some campgrounds I had to raise my PUP almost the entire height of the BAL Leveler. Would rather have extra than not enough.

Thanks!!!

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I have seen where a dealer used some fancy leveling ramp thing and only leveled one axle ... to me the unsupported axle would cause issues with bounce and wiggle as people move around inside...

No one said the dealers were ever correct ...

8. rccs

rccs Member

Try Googling Anderson rv levelers and watch the video about them. I bought these for our hybrid this winter but have not tried them yet, to much snow now, will have to see how good they work this spring. Look like they should be easy to use though.

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

That's the one ... please update us on how it is.. I'd be interested in how much bounce and wiggle remains ..

10. cfmx

cfmx New Member

The Anderson leveler looks really nice. Think I may order two of those instead.
    Thanks for the link!!

11. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Thanks for posting about this. Im in the process of deciding on a TT or HTT floor plan and have not even thought about leveling and chocking it. It was so easy with the pup and the BAL!

Sharon

12. rccs

rccs Member

Sharon, that is why I bought the Anderson levelers, I had a BAL leveler with the popup camper we used before getting the hybrid and loved it. I came across the Anderson leveler info on another forum and thought it looked like a great idea and the two of them did not cost me much more than I paid for the BAL leveler when I bought it years ago. I got the Anderson levelers from Amazon a few weeks before Christmas and they had them on sale at the time with free shipping. Can't wait for the camping season to get here so I can give them a try.

13. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

I just showed the video to my hubby, He thought that was the coolest thing and said we are getting those for sure.

Now what about chocks, which ones do you use if your using the Anderson levelers. The one in the picture that goes between the middle of the tires or the one in the link that goes at the bottom. The first picture isnt showing up.

Sharon

14. cfmx

cfmx New Member

I just order 2 Andersons Levelers. Figured it wasn't much more than 4 packs of Tri-Lynx blocks.

15. rccs

rccs Member

I have been using the BAL X chocks ever since we bought our hybrid. I bought mine on Ebay just before we took delivery of our Roo. Really like them, easy to use and don't take much time to use. I found them on Ebay for $57.95 for a set of 2. I don't remember what the shipping was but I do not think it was to much.

16. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Thanks, I will add these to our list of must have's.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

17. cfmx

cfmx New Member

I bought the pair off eBay as well. Should be here in a week.

18. bildoo

bildoo New Member

Any reason why you couldn't use the Anderson rv levelers on a single axle?

19. piscoot

piscoot Member

Wow the Anderson Leveler is pretty cool, glad it too was suggested. I'll be ordering one for our pup before the season starts.
    No more carrying boards for me!

Sent from my Piscoot's iPad using Tapatalk

20. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

One thing I notice about the Anderson Leveler is the lack of a chocking ability.. Yes you can use the between the tire X chocks or home made ones but these types are for for stabilization then to be used as tire chocking ...

Copied from another site, this is the warning sticker on the X family of chocks ...

1. Do not use the BAL Chock as a parking brake for your trailer
    2. Be sure to level your 5th wheel or trailer before installing BAL chock between tires
    3. Remove the BAL chock from your tires before connecting the trailer to the tow vehicle
    4. Operating the 5th wheel landing gear jacks or the trailer tongue jack(up and down) can cause unnecessary stress to the BAL chock. If you do not remove the BAL chock from your tires before operating your trailer's jacks could damage the Chock and void the Manufacturer's warranty.