Side vent cooling fan?

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by Rich Knack, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Rich Knack

Rich Knack Member

I have a question about cooling a refrigerator. I am in the process of installing a Norcold 323 3-way fridge in my 1978 Rockwood popup. The camper originally had an icebox (long gone before I got the camper) and was replaced with a cube-type dorm fridge. I decided I wanted an absorption fridge which could be used even without an electric hookup (since my wife and I don't own a generator...yet). My dad and I boxed in the former icebox opening so that there is practically no dead airspace inside to the sides, top and bottom, and put in a baffle at the rear to force air to go up and past the fins.

My dad says I should install a fan in the upper vent to suck the hot air up and out more efficiently. Has anyone here successfully used a computer fan or similar to do this with a side-vent fridge? And did you install a thermostat (and if so, what one)? Looking at the price of ones purpose-made for cooling RV refrigerators, they are EXPENSIVE, especially since my hours have been temporarily cut back at work (I could buy more than a full tank of gas for my tow vehicle, even two tanks of gas, for what a purpose-made RV fridge vent fan costs!).

2. davido

davido Active Member

There are kits for this. Most of them are about a 200mm 12v fan that draws about .38A, a power switch, and a thermal switch that you glue with thermal glue to one of the fins.

You'll need an intake vent and an exhaust vent. The fan should be positioned to create the air flow you need. Since your space is super enclosed, you might discover it's necessary to install a couple fans.

Raycfe likes this.
  3. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Your dad is correct, a series of pics showing how I added an inexpensive computer fan to the Norcold 323 in our 2000 Santa Fe starts here. Click on the "i" at the top right of any pic for a text description.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Y0tiYWFzQl8xdGRCRmwwOV90TXBtYlpOZHdRc3VB

4. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

5. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I have a computer fan in mine. I only turn it on when it's pretty hot out, or when the fridge is first cooling.

6. Rich Knack

Rich Knack Member

Found a kit for a reasonable price on EBay, and it seems to work pretty well.