Sideways not the Dark Side (but it doesn't pop up!)

LynnAllen02

Super Active Member
Apr 26, 2006
Long Island, New York
We have ordered and are awaiting our new 6x10 Silver Shadow Teardrop camper! We should get it in the beginning of March!

While we await the new way, our thoughts move to how we will deal with selling the Pup.

Hoping you will all help me once again. Popupportal has been with me through the newbie stage to now the near end of my Popup ownership!

Several questions!
When is the best time to sell?
How do you decide on a price?
Is it best to take pics of it empty or put everything back in from the winter?
It is too cold here to popup and take pictures now, I will hurt the canvas.

Lynn

joelmyer

Dec 28, 2012
I bought my popup in April and I think I started looking in February, following Craigs List mostly to get an idea of prices.

You just bought your new camper.

So the best time is now, or as soon as you can get good pictures.

Start watching Craigslist to see what your competition is asking.

I was a little turned off by pictures with lots of clutter.

Joel

Noni

See ya' out there !
May 30, 2008
Herndon, VA
We have used Craigslist to sell both; our first popup and the hybrid.
Good luck with the new rig, and hope you sell your popup soon.

lbcarr87

Super Active Member
Aug 29, 2009
Congrats on the new teardrop.
As far as selling your pup, Spring is usually a great time in the northern states. There are more potential buyers out there looking for spring and summer fun.
We sold our pup in November of '11 and I was surprised it actually sold at that time of year. On our last outing of the year, in October, I took the time to have a well organized camp site. Took a few outside photos, Then I staged the inside too, complete with table settings, made up beds etc. I Opened all the windows so that there was plenty of light and the outside scenery showed in the pics. The inside pics looked almost like something in a brochure :)
Sell the sizzle not the steak. Your ad should concentrate on the good things. If there are negative issues, be honest with potential buyers, but don't over do it with listing a bunch of negative things in your ad. We sold on Craigslist too.
As Joel said, I looked at a lot of campers on craigslist and the ones with photos of clutter all around were a turn off.

LynnAllen02

Super Active Member
Apr 26, 2006
Long Island, New York
Asking for warm weather now seems wildly impossible! Our Pup still has snow on it!

Lynn

PS: Put a pic of what I hope my new Galley will look like in
http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=55656.msg754747#msg754747
On January 17th

We feel we will still be outside a lot doing our cooking, still no bathroom, but no set up from under the bunks, and pack up back to under the bunks, and we can extend our travel range by just getting into the bed when we stop for the night!

So really a sideways move!

safetylady

Sep 6, 2008
We bought and sold two pop ups using Craigslist. The key to both the ones we bought as well as the ones we sold was the presentation. They were spotless when we
bought and when we sold. When we sold, we took photos from the farthest inside points which showed the whole trailer. We put it up for sale at the same time as the local RV show was, for us that was March. Pricing is a little tricky because not only do you look at NADA but you also have to consider the condition of the camper.

Enjoy the new camper.

Sumoman

Super Active Member
Mar 20, 2013
If it's paid off keep it, two different types of camping.

CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM.

2000 Land Rover Discovery, loaded with ARB and ready for the end of the world.
2008 Fleetwood Evolution E3, loaded and ready for the end of the world.
1967 Heckaman Manufacturing, "Phoenix" 18FT travel trailer.. Beginning of Mobile Man-Cave process.

LynnAllen02

Super Active Member
Apr 26, 2006
Long Island, New York
If I were to list it with photos from last season and someone called to see it, I couldn't show it to them, it's out in the yard buried under ice and snow! I couldn't pop up for fear of hurting the canvas?

Lynn

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
List it now with pictures from last year and if anyone calls, tell them if it is cold out when they come you won't be popping it up.. I think you may still be a few weeks early thou, I know around here selling season doesn't really start until mid March depending on the weather...

Noni

See ya' out there !
May 30, 2008
Herndon, VA
LynnAllen02 said:
If I were to list it with photos from last season and someone called to see it, I couldn't show it to them, it's out in the yard buried under ice and snow! I couldn't pop up for fear of hurting the canvas?

Lynn

I'm sure with ice and snow out there, the buyer would most likely will wait until all the white stuff is gone ! [:D]

LynnAllen02

Super Active Member
Apr 26, 2006
Long Island, New York
So we sold our Pup yesterday to a lovely couple with two children! We are very excited that it will be enjoyed by a family!

None of the ads we created anywhere worked for us, people came and people went.

We used it one last time a weekend or two ago and we put a For Sale sign in the window. The new owners are tent campers who wanted to upgrade! I guess the campground is the arena for our target audience! CAMPERS!

Heady

Super Active Member
Sep 24, 2012
Congrats on the sale! Sounds like you passed on the joy of popup camping to a deserving family. Hopefully you told them about the portal. :)

Latest posts