Silent Lake Provincial Park Questions

Discussion in 'Ontario' started by elsiemon, May 14, 2012.

1. elsiemon

elsiemon New Member

Will be staying at Silent Lake this summer at an electrical site in Granite Ridge campground. Last time we went there was around 28 years ago so it's a real distant memory. If anyone has been was wondering what the roads are like, how private the sites are, the closest firewood outside the park, beach or anything that comes to mind. Have checked a couple of park review / photo web sites but they are all for non electric sites. It doesn't seem to be a popular park but it was our first park with a pop up all those years ago. Thanks for any ideas or info anyone can provide.

2. wantingapup

wantingapup New Member

Its been even longer since I have camped there. But friends have cottages near there and we sometimes go there for the day. There is a great trail around the lake, or part way if so inclined.

3. elsiemon

elsiemon New Member

Thanks for the reply. It looks like there's three trails, the lake trail looks interesting. At 15 km I think your right, might try it part way.

4. jimk

jimk New Member

We're at Silent Lake every year! It has 2 beautiful little sand beaches with great swimming areas for the kids. It's a nice drive to get there - just follow the signs to Bancroft. The sites are private enough, though some can be a challenge getting your trailer in - there are some steep hills to the canoe launch where they warn you to not take the trailer.
    One of my favourite places to camp

5. ve3tiz

ve3tiz New Member

Silent Lake PP is high on my list this summer. How busy is it? Can you just show up (mid week) and expect a first come first serve site or are reservations recommended?

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

7. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

We have 3 trips booked so far at Silent Lake and our final one in October will be there as well!

We love it! Beautiful beaches, albeit a little bit of a walk through the forest from the parking lots but well worth it!

We stayed at Granite Ridge last year, on a dbl site....89 & 90. It said one site was big enough for an 18ft (we got our 25' pup on it) and 3 tents (my sister's pup is 18' open) on the other site. We got both pup's on it just fine with no issues.

We are back at Granite Ridge again....all different sites but most looking forward to site 146 in August.

I find the sites to be private but open....make sense? They could be more private and I believe Pincer Bay is more private then Granite Ridge.
    Have a look at the website links that Snow provided......great site! And pics are more accurate than the Ontario Parks site.
    One thing about Silent Lake is that on the Ontario Parks site, it doesn't give you the site length and width, like most other parks....but if you call Silent Lake directly (we did this last year) they will give you the measurments. They were very helpful!

@ve3tiz....I recommend reservations. Silent Lake is a busy park, much like Arrowhead. You could attempt to try it and see what kind of site you get, but if you need certain L and W, or hookups, you may be outta luck.

Hoped this has helped!

Melissa

8. ve3tiz

ve3tiz New Member

Thanks, Melissa!!! That is awesome information - just what I was looking for. It's good to get real world feedback.

9. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

PM me and we'll see if a weekend matches up with your schedule and perhaps we'll get together for a campfire!
    [CP]

Melissa

10. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Above message was meant for ve3tiz or anyone else at Silent Lake PP this year!