Silver Lake Campground

Spaceace5150

Oct 1, 2014
Has anyone tried Silver Lake Campground? Seems like a popular area but haven't seen anything on this specific campground. Looks like it was bought by new owners 5 years ago and they have made many improvements.

Also looks like the sites are all grass, no cement or gravel pads?

Al Monet

Aug 27, 2018
I've just come back from a trip there, and have stayed there at least a dozen times over the last 20 summers. The last couple years have seen a lot of infrastructure updates, especially in regards to lake access. They have both pull through and cement pads, and many of the lots are sizable and all are well wooded. I always stay in the south side (sites 100+) as I feel it's a bit less hectic, but Silver Lake is known for the Sand Dunes and ORV Park, so you will hear engines no matter where you go up there. Overall, I have no complaints, ever.

Balthisar

Jun 26, 2018
Plymouth, MI USA
Are you two talking about the same place? There's the state campground that wouldn't have changed owners five years ago, and there's a private place called Silver Lake Resort and Campground.

I can't speak about the latter, but I recently bicycle toured right in front of the former, and it looked a bit crowded by Michigan State Park standards. Probably it's well worth it, though, given all of the fun things to do in the area.

jman1200

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/jmanotas/
Nov 11, 2013
Ontario
I spent 3 nights at the State campground about a month ago. Drove 5 hours from Canada and it was worth it.
It was packed but surprisingly peaceful, lots of off road vehicles on site but everyone drove them slowly and never hear anyone revving those without an exhaust.
Sites offer little to none privacy but the majority have pretty good shade. Some have an asphalt pad but most are just dirt, no grass (at least on the 100+ side).
Bathrooms and showers were a bit dated but in ok condition.
There is a nice park for the kids and beach near Silver Lake, within walking distance of all campsites.
You'll need to drive for about 8 to 10 minutes to go to the beach at Lake Michigan, there is a State beach area where the lighthouse is, parking is free with your Park pass.
8 to 10 minutes in the other direction you'll find the public access to the dunes, by foot (free) or in your vehicle (extra fees and permits required).
The town has some restaurants, ice cream shops, go karts and different activities for the family. ATV's and Jeeps are available for rental.
Definitely going back.