Silver River SP - Kayak/Canoe

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by Dammitjim, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Dammitjim

Dammitjim New Member

For those of you who have been to Silver River SP in Florida, how long of a walk do I have from the parking lot to the river? I am looking at bringing my inflatable kayak and I wanted to know how far I'm going to have to haul this thing by myself. I know you can rent equipment, but I rather use what I have.
    Thanks!

2. badgamuss

badgamuss Member

I remember hiking that trail. I can't remember if it was 1 mile round trip or 1 mile each way. My map is missing with all of my markups.

3. Dammitjim

Dammitjim New Member

I read somewhere online that it's about 0.6 miles from the parking lot to the launch, but the article mixed up the state park with other locations that have access to the river.

4. badgamuss

badgamuss Member

That sounds about right. It was one of the shorter trails. Very open, it is wide enough for a golf cart at least.

5. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

It is a long walk! Pretty open though. Your 0.6 miles sounds correct. For this reason, we rented canoes from the SP. They give you a key and you don't have to haul it all the way down there! They rent by the hour, but they give you an hour free (I think) just because of the trip to the river and back takes awhile.

Make sure you go to the head of the springs (take a left after launching) and you might get to see some wild Monkeys. They are well worth the trip.

6. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

Unless you have a cart to haul your kayak, it would be easier to just rent.

You could make a cart out of PVC and some small wheels pretty easy though if you wanted. Do a google search for kayak cart and you should get plenty of ideas.
    If you do make a cart, bring a small cable and a lock and stash the cart behind a tree/bushes once you get to the launch.

Like Jamie said, go all the way to the had spring. Some cool things to see there and it's a lot easier getting back anyway, lol.

7. Dammitjim

Dammitjim New Member

Great, thanks for the info about taking a left from the dock. I have an inflatable kayak, so I'll put the bag on a beach cart I have and inflate it on the spot. How long of a paddle will I have going up and down the river? I want to be able to get back to pick up my other kids (I can only fit 3 people in the kayak) and show them around, too.

8. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

It's about 2 miles to the spring if I remember right.
    You don't want them to sit at the launch and wait for you. They would be bored, bug bitten, etc.
    You also don't want to rush it. There is plenty of wildlife to see and things to see below the water as you get closer to the spring.

Polarized glasses really help see in the water.

9. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

It's not that much of a hike. If an old fat guy like me can make it lugging the john boat filled with trolling motor and battery should be simple with an inflatable yak. Trip will take a couple hours at least to get to the head springs as your paddling upstream. Ditto what Matt said on the glasses. Enjoy and have fun guys... [SUN]

[​IMG]

10. Dammitjim

Dammitjim New Member

Thanks for the info to everyone! We had a great time at Silver River SP. It was a little hard to keep the kids waking (7, 5, and 4) but once on the kayak, we all had a great time. I ended up leaving the folding cart by a sign at the ramp and it was there when I got back 2 hours after. It was a little hard to paddle upstream but the return was smooth. If you go to this park and find a pink sock in the river, that belongs to my daughter. She got wet when I stepped into the kayak and she took it off... while paddling, I smacked it off her hand and went in the water. By the time I had turned around, I couldn't find it. I could see it sinking quickly, too!
    We did see the monkeys on the left side of the river when paddling upstream. The spring is rather odd since there is so much built around it and they have those tours that go out of there. My kids couldn't understand where the spring actually was.
    The rest of our group rented the canoes and they thought it was well worth it.

11. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

Glad you had a great time. We enjoyed it there also. I would like to take the kayaks there, but I have to build a cart to haul them down to the river first!

12. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

Glad you had a good time.
    The actual spring is at the end, as far as you can go. Lol