Silver River SP

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Dammitjim, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Dammitjim

Dammitjim New Member

Does anyone have any information on Silver River SP? We just booked to go there and can't find any reviews here. The only thing I know is that there was a rally there a couple of years ago.
    Thanks!

2. billangiep

billangiep Member

3. flakeyspam

flakeyspam New Member

what did you need to know we camp there a lot

4. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Watch out for Monkeys! Left over from a roadside show, look it up on youtube, looks like a pretty park, Its on my list

5. flakeyspam

flakeyspam New Member

the monkeys are on the river and not in the park and they have removed quite a few this year

6. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

yes you see them when you are paddling down the River, they run along the banks so don't get too close to trees!

7. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

We held a FL Rally there a little while back. I liked the park a lot. Definitely rent a canoe from the SP to take a trip on the river. If you have your own canoe/kayak, be sure that you have a way of getting it to the river as it is quite a walk. It was definitely worth the price to pay the SP, pick up your canoe at the river. The monkey's in the trees are worth the price. No guarantee that you will see them, but they are up river.

8. Dammitjim

Dammitjim New Member

General stuff... like how are the bathrooms, what is special about this park, any tips on what to do and not do.
    I've read about the monkeys and someone told me they have even seen fire flies in March there...

9. flakeyspam

flakeyspam New Member

the bathrooms are great there if you need a handicap restroom like i do ask if it is locked after you set up the first time we went it was and I didn't know until it was to late the park has a museum that is fun and not to expensive the pioneer village used to be open on weekends but was not open last weekend you can walk to the river but it is quite a walk we prefer the park right before the ocklawaha bridge they have a boat ramp and you can go down either river the silver springs amusement park is next to the park and the Christmas light show is worth the admission price we go every year there is a walmart five minutes away if you forget any thing if you need any more info let me know we love in ocala and are always out that way as my husband belongs to a hunt club not far from the park and we stay in silver springs during hunting season

10. badgamuss

badgamuss Member

Just spent Presidents Day weekend here. I was amazed by how spacious the sites were and how well maintained the park was. Not only was the campground spotless the trails were well marked and easy to use. The museum was a pleasant surprise. There are interactive exhibits as well as displays. I am sure we will be back again this year.

11. chasw98

chasw98 Chuck, Debbie, and grandson Jacob

We just spent the 21, 22, 23, and 24th at Silver River. We drove up from Fort Lauderdale, got there after 11 PM but the ranger had given us a gate code. We set up very quietly that night.
    In the morning we went to Ray Wayside Park and kayaked down the Silver River and into the Oklawaha for about 3 miles, than back upstream! We hiked some of the trails that evening and slept soundly. more kayaking the next day. Birds, gators, and lots of turtles. Got Ice Cream near the park, cooked on the grill, slept well. The park is quiet at night, the wash houses are very clean and the showers are excellent. Saturday morning for $5 you could get 'Pancakes in the Park' with a bluegrass band at 9:00 AM!
    This was our first time at Silver River State Park, but we know the area well.

I highly recommend it!

Chuck

12. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

I want to go back. The best part is if you kayak upstream to the headwaters of the springs, you can see wild monkeys! Pretty cool!

13. Bmoore257

Bmoore257 New Member

We stayed there last spring for a couple of nights. We loved it. Campsites were very spacious and the facilities were very clean. Lots of hiking trails. The historic cracker village was cool. The only thing missing would be a swimming hole.

14. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

FUN [8D]