Silverware and Dishes

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by Ryoukoe, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Ryoukoe

Ryoukoe New Member

I am going through and purchasing supplies for our PUP and have found it difficult to come across re-useable plastic dishware ie. cups, bowls, and plates. What do you use in your camper for dishes? I do not want to use glass or stoneware as I know they will get destroyed traveling to campgrounds and I plan on having younger children with me a lot of the time when camping. Additionally do you use just regular silverware? I am afraid it will rust or something but perhaps I am over thinking things. I really do not want to use paper plates and disposable silverware as I will be expecting the children to maintain their dishes for each meal as a way of teaching them responsibility ( I am a horrible aunt, I know :).) Any information would be greatly appreciated.

2. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Teach/train them young makes you a GR8 Aunt. We use picnic stuff, plastic ware found at walmart, target,etc. We have real brightly colored plates, bowls and heavy plastic forks, knives and spoons, Tervis tumblers for cups. [8D]

3. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

Ikea has smaller plastic plates, bowls and so on.

4. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Skip Walmart and Ikea---head the your local Salvation Army! They have tons of plastic kitchen ware, CHEAP! Pick up your silverware there too. They have LOTS to choose from, single pieces as well as sets. Plus, you're recycling! [:D] We just furnished my daughter's new apartment kitchen from Sallie's!

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Some people use Correlle. It's inexpensive, light weight and very difficult to break. It can be purchased piece by piece at places like Target. It has the advantage of not being plastic, which can contain nasty chemicals like BPA.

6. Briorick

Briorick Member

We have the Blue Granite Dish Set. ( plates, bowls, cups, and 2 cooking pots ) along with our Cast Iron Dutch Oven and Skillet. The Granite is nice because it doesn't break, easy clean up, and it's great for warming your hands when drinking / eating something hot on those chilly days.
    We use the regular silverware ( blue handled, of course ) along with other cutting knives, tongs, soup spoons, ladle, etc. [:D] We have kept this all in the P'up for the past 8 years and still good as new. As long as it kept dry you should have no problem.

Making a game out of washing dishes outside might seem fun and exciting for the youngsters as well. You would be more of a "horrible Aunt" if you didn't make the kids clean up after themselves. B/c for you it would become "all work and no play". We can't have that now. [;)] Have fun!

7. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

I picked up all my tableware at yard sales. I have a set of plastic plates that we use for sandwiches and such, then a set of corelle type plates that we use for messier meals. Cereal bowls are plastic as are the drinking "glasses". I have a set of coffee mugs and a few odd balls. I also have a large amount of unmatched silverware. Gotta love the prices.

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

For us, we would not use Corelle for camping, we've seen what it does when broken and it can be shards over a wide area. It is compact, but not as light as it might seem, we actually had reinforcement added when we got new kitchen cabinets at church int he sections where we were going to store stacks of Corelle (admittedly more than most would take camping).
    Our camping stuff is a combination of estate and thrift store buys and things bought specifically for camping. We used Tupperware plates and bowls for a very long time, they have been wearing out over the past couple of years. We still use a couple of bowls that have snap-on lids, for pudding - safe to put in the cooler with no fear of spilling. Our newer things are Lexan - GSI is one brand - most of ours has come from REI, but I've seen them at Walmart, etc. too. We use some metal utensils, and some of the pebbly ones that may also be lexan. Again, GSI is one brand, I think the last ones we've picked up were smooth and from Sea-to-Summit.
    We got Tervis tumblers for this year,m and really have enjoyed them.

While we usually use "real stuff", we also keep a supply of paper plates and bowls, for quick snacks. We quite often take chili or soup from home and we use the real stuff for that, not crazy about hot food in paper bowls.

9. camper2009

camper2009 New Member

try the local " dollar store" they have all kinds of cheap dishes, forks , knives , spoons etc etc..

G

10. darrenandmelissa

darrenandmelissa Member

We use the metal plates you find in the camping aisle, i beleive they are enamel. I beleive you can get cutlery, bowls, and cups in the same stuff. They work great and no chance to break them.

Dollar stores is a good place to find stuff as well, I like the idea of Salavation Army to find stuff as well.

11. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member

Yes agree with post above Dollar Store! We bought all our plates, bowls, serving utensils & cups from there. But found all our pans & dishes from 'Sally' Army! I have used an old silverwear utensil set that I had for the last 3 years, and it hasn't gone rusty! Occasionally I use paper plates but I try not to.

12. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I don't use it for camping either but suggested it because it is not plastic. Since it is glass it can break but I've never seen it break, even when dropped on a ceramic tile floor from seven feet (fell out of an upper cabinet). It's extremely durable stuff.

While I'm concerned about recycling and try to very "green" most of the time, I don't want to deal with food and food-related stuff any more than absolutely necessary when camping so I use disposable plates and "silverware". This not only saves time which I can put to better use, it saves water that would be used washing tableware -- and water is getting to be more valuable as it becomes more scarce in the West.

13. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

funny story about Corelle. Years ago my little Bro was getting married and had a bachelor party at his house, he had cupboards full of Corelle. After quite a few drinks the guys, sitting around the kitchen saw Corelle and somebody said this stuff doesn't break so they winged one against the wall, it shattered, of course they had to try every single piece of Corelle to make sure [:O] Needless to say..when Mom called me she said "your Brother is gonna need dishes for a wedding present" [8D]
    yes, it with shatter

14. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Corelle is one of those weird things that is unpredictable. I've seen it unscathed in a drop like you describe, and break on one of a couple of inches. We sold it years ago in an independent department store where I worked, we have it at church and we have a few miscellaneous pieces at home. I just won't take it camping.

Yes, sometimes tossing paper goods seems the better choice over washing, whether for time, effort or other reasons. Conserving water is habit for us; it seemed strange to be told we could leave the tap running for a while this summer at the Flat Tops Rally. [We could not drink the water, since that campground is not heavily used the water picks up some taste from the piping - we went into town and got bottled.]

15. Ryoukoe

Ryoukoe New Member

Thanks for all of the ideas. I have looked at my dollar trees but they only sell glass everything. I have seen the GSI stuff but it seemed so expensive. Additionally I have looked at goodwills but the options are kind of limited it seems. I like the idea of colored dish sets for the kids and stuff and maybe the farther in to winter we get the cheaper things will be :).

16. disnewdigs

disnewdigs New Member

When we started camping, in our tent days a few years back, we bought the coated metal dinnerware sold in most camping supply stores. The set contained plates, bowls, and mugs, and was red with the splash of white specks all over .. pretty darn cute sitting on our red-checked picnic tablecloth! After one weekend with these dishes, we decided to throw them out -- as we used them our dishwater turned pink .. the more we washed the pinker the water got! (If the color wore off in the water, imagine what we consumed.) [:(O]
    Those dishes have been replaced with a nice, safe set of BPA free (and paint/dye free) melamine dishes. I bought them @ Target after the summer season at a very good discount. They're square, lightweight, colorful and fit nicely in the PUP. We love them! Our utensils are made of a nice lightweight stainless steel, which I bought on Ebay at a very good price. We'll sometimes use paper plates as well, and those we'll toss in the campfire.
    We really don't mind doing dishes .. we share the cooking and cleaning up, and actually everything about camping we share. Oh.. except campfire building .. HE has total reign over that! [:D] But I don't mind!

17. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

All picnic/plastic ware is on sale now [A]

18. Briorick

Briorick Member

We have been using the Blue Granite Metalware for the past 8 plus years and they are still as new as ever. No discoloration. I wonder b/c of the red coloring if they were just China Made knock offs and not as durable as the original Blue. We bought ours over 8 years ago, so this could be a main factor as well. I'll have to check next time I am at the store and see where they are now made. One thing for sure they are welcoming to the hands on a chilly morning.

As for the dishes and the cleanup, we are like you, we enjoy sharing the camping duties. Maybe "we" are the odd ones! [?:~{] [LOL]

19. Rynderz

Rynderz Lifelong Camper

Goodwill, Thrift stores for the few odds and ends. Dish set is actually mom's first dishes -- 'vintage' melamine in the 'vintage' camper. Regular and plastic silverware. Use paper plates as well -- great firestarters especially with bacon fat!! [2C]

20. saratogaowner

saratogaowner New Member

we use paper plates and the cheapest silverware we can buy