simple DirecTV from home to camper?

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by rsdata, Oct 2, 2014.

1. rsdata

rsdata Member

Is it simple to take my home DirecTV receiver and dish with me to FL this winter? I will be gone for 3 months and I would like to take that setup with me. I can aim the antenna and hook up the dish easy enough. What is someone's recommendation be for an additional dish antenna for travel be? Something not that expensive...

thx in advance...

2. 88PUP

88PUP being crazy- has kept me from going insane

3. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

4. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

The cheapest route is a tripod for a level or transit for less than $100, and an adapter to mount a standard dish (used) picked up on the cheap at EBAY. I have about $300 in my Dish Network setup and that is including the receiver which I purchased. Not leased.

[​IMG]

Lots of good info here

SAT

5. CREEPPINGCHARLIE

CREEPPINGCHARLIE CAMPING RECHARGES THE HUMAN MIND

I have taken my Direct TV with me using a ground mount system and a used antenna. The receiver was the one from the house. [8D] [PU] [PUT]

6. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Go get a dish network tailgater, it finds satellites on its own

7. rsdata

rsdata Member

I have a DirecTV setup at home. I am not interested in Dish. The auto antennas seem so expensive for my wallet. I have pointed my own dish in the past and feel I have the tech ability and understanding to do it again. I have taken pics of my setup here at home. I willl be taking my home receiver with me like Creepingcharlie does.

[​IMG]

The power injector
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking around for info, I think I have identified that I have a SWM antenna.

I think I need this setup.

http://www.installeroasis.com/directv-swim-hdtv-satellite-dish-tripod-kit-for-rv-mobile-portable/

I have made an inquiry to this vendor... will see what he has to say. I will drive to Indy to pick it up, as Amazon reviews have mentioned shipping damage from this vendor... roadtrip!

I could spend less then this I think if I were to go with only SD and forego my HD TV capability, but not sure if I want to cheap out that far...

I got it from Old_Geezer and reading other posts, that level and upright on the tripod makes for an easier point at the satellite.

8. skeetercampsintexas

Okay well if you're specifically interested in directv then go buy a second hand sat meter, and purchase the app called dish pointer pro for your smart phone. I used to work for dish and this is all I ever used.

9. skeetercampsintexas

Oh and call directv and have them send a tech to your house on a trouble call. Pitch him a 20 and ask him to hook you up with a dish and temporary mount, this should be no problem.

10. ricko

ricko Member

I've taken an extra SD dish, an aluminum speaker stand and 50 feet of coax. Once you get the hang of the setup, it goes very quickly. My son can get it done within half an hour. On,y once did we run into an issue where I needed to add a little balast to hold the stand up in the wind. Then we used a 5 gallon water jug and a bungee cord to hold it in place.

You will need to be very picky to get the stand perfectly level and the mounting pole plumb. If you don't get that right, the rest will be extremely difficult.

Ricko

11. rsdata

rsdata Member

After reading a bunch of Amazon reviews and the responses here, I decided to purchase a complete dish with HD LNB on ebay for $66. It is supposed to be delivered Wednesday so I hope to have it setup by Thursday at home and see how easy or difficult it is to do.

A video that explained a whole lot about setting up different dish styles with different DirecTV receivers made a whole lot of sense to me after reading the negative reviews posted on Amazon from confused customers. Obviously they don't know that out of plumb is the root of most evils with a dish.

The video referenced below starts off slow, but at about 3 minute mark this youtube video starts to show what to do to setup different dish styles. I decided to go with an exact duplicate of what I have here at home as I did not want to sacrifice my HD capability. This will minimize setup for my receiver that I plan to take with me for the winter.

video here http://youtu.be/jGOt9_tyyjA

ricko you gave me the curage to pull the plug on the purchase...

Thanks for the help

12. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

rsdata, being out of plumb bites you before you do any aligning, even more so with a multiple LNBF Dish that has a skew setting.

The tripod in your other link is problematic, I had a Winegard one which was similar to it. It is almost impossible to get the mast plumb as the only adjustment is by moving the legs in or out. It even gets harder out in the woods.

The surveyors tripod and the mast adapter in the link I posted is way easier to adjust as each leg can be adjusted while the feet stay in one spot.