sink and stove removal frompopup

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by neldeb, Aug 20, 2016.

1. neldeb

neldeb New Member

[?]
    Has anyone removed sink and stove from their popup? I am not using and thought I would gain more practical usage if it were removed and stored elsewhere. Thanks to all for your input! [:D]

2. DiscoB75

DiscoB75 Guest

I removed the top part of my galley earlier this year. I left the bottom part for a surface for shelves and to be able to still use the drawers.

Between removing the galley, sink, furnace, and stove and removing the propane tanks, I shaved off about 500lbs off the weight of the pup, too.

My pup is 20 years old. I'm not concerned about resale.

3. ftfamily

ftfamily New Member

I just removed the water storage and hoses and left the sink. I figured out last time we went camping that the sink was great storage! I have a cutting board that fits perfect the sink and I keep salt, pepper, spices and other things I use often while cooking in the sink, under the cutting board. And I love the space I gained in my bench seat!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

4. DiscoB75

DiscoB75 Guest

I'm repurposing the sink into an outdoor kitchen design.

That danged sink. When it was inside, I used to use it to keep my bag of ice in for cocktails. Little did I know that the humidity was condensing on the bottom of it and getting water everywhere underneath. The door directly in front of the sink was warped and swollen when I bought it. I thought there was a different leak somewhere, but nope. The thin, metal sink was basically pouring rain underneath...lol.

I don't miss any of it a bit.

5. cityfrank

cityfrank New Member

One of the first mods I did on my PUP when I got it used was to remove the sink and stove. Like others have mentioned I gained a whole new shelf by doing it - I even built a small counter that sits right where the sink and stove used to be after I removed it. I love the extra shelf - we use it for bins of clothes. The extra bench storage was great to once I removed the water tank that I never used. My favourite part though is the extra floor space gained when travelling. That galley took up precious space when folded over when the pup was folded down.

6. edh

edh Active Member

Make it whatever best suits your needs. You can keep them in storage for the next owner if you wish.

7. orion669

orion669 New Member

removing sink and stove is my next priority. im going to make a wooden "counter" for the top of the cassette. for coffee pot etc. i use the top storage when in camp for dry goods and them pack them for travel. i never gave it a thought about removing top cassette. hmmm, ill follow this thread for more ideas.

Rick

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Whatever makes it work for you. The biggest thing to keep in mind, if you plan to remove the entire cabinet (to the floor), is that some pups use the framing of the cabinet as support for the side walls.
    When we bought our first pup,we though that we'd use the sink and not the stove; it turned out to be exactly opposite. We ended up removing the sinks in both of the pups that we owned. We gave them to the new owners when we sold the pups.
    For us, having a stove to at least heat water or cook a simple meal ended up big a big plus, even though we prefer to cook outside. A few too many nights over the years of trying to make supper while the winds were howling, or it was raining sideways, means that having an inside option is now a requirement for us.
    If you're not sure, take a a least a couple of trips with things in place. You can always put something over the sink and stove (one of ours had a cover, the other did not) to make counter space and see if it makes as much difference as you think it will.

9. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Some friends of mine in WV just did this a couple of weeks ago to their PUP. They left the cabinet intact, just removed sink and stove, and replaced the top with a nice counter top. It looks really nice and gives them the space they wanted.

I use my sink and stove extensively, so would not do it, although I would love to have more counter space for appliances - coffee pot, crock pot, toaster oven, and microwave. [LOL] Yes, I want a full kitchen.

10. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 New Member

I removed the stove when my counter got wet and started to turn to mush. I put in a new counter with a polyethylene top and deleted the never-used stove - we do our cooking in our outside galley. We left the sink as we do use that from time to time for hand washing etc. but the counter space is useful so we have left that it. I left the plumbing for the stove in place and simply put in a screw plug.

11. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

We added a couple of these SHELF KITS from LOWES to the cabinet top right next to our Stove Sink fold over. Having little nocks to stick things into made it do pretty well.

All of this sits in the floor when being packed up...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

Roy Ken

12. travisma

travisma New Member

I removed my entire countertop with the sink and 2 burner stove. It was swollen and flaking apart in a corner. The stove wasn't hooked up (we wouldn't have used it anyway) and we learned the hard way from our previous used PUP not to trust the cheapie Coleman 1980's plumbing, so we didn't use the sink either.

I replaced the countertop with a piece of painted plywood we had lying around. It worked out a lot better for us.

13. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

This is how I got my PUP so cheap. No sink or stove makes it about 30% less useful to me and I paid accordingly.

14. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

removed the stove when i renovated. It give you more counterspace. Left the sink because we like having a water source inside for washing faces and dishes.