Sink drain hose nicked

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by ve3tiz, Oct 28, 2015.

1. ve3tiz

ve3tiz New Member

In the swing galley's deployed position it appears the notched cut by the factory was not sufficient and the drain hose was pinched and eventually nicked. So now I have this small leak on an accessible part of the house and wondering if there is an epoxy or other repair option. The reason is that to replace the whole hose (would have been my first choice) will appear to require stick man arms and more joints than I was born with. Has anyone run into this?

Attached Files:

2. gruss

gruss Active Member

I have tiny hands and stick man arms but not the extra joints required, and I ran into something similar not long ago.

Mine was leaking where they hose clamped it to the trap, I think they missed the bigger part of the barb and it eventually sliced through but the hole was to big to fix on the fly...if it's a small knick our 1st attempt to fix probably would have been pretty permanent using some emergency repair tape similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BSXAIJG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

another portal member cut me off a piece of eternabond he had with him (thanks again!) but ours was torn so big I didn't try that, I just pieced in a rubber coupler and all is well and it can flex against the rubber now instead of the barb. In your case in the middle of the hose I think that tape or some eternabond might just fix ya up for a quite a while.

I'm seriously considering taking a jig saw to that opening in the spring, make it big enough to at least work on.

3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I would use a self bonding tape like Magic Wrap and then put a little Hoop on it. It would never leak.

4. ve3tiz

ve3tiz New Member

Thanks to both of you for responding. I was thinking since I have to enlarge that opening more anyway to prevent further damage to the hose.... that making it bigger might also give me some needed room work completely remove the hose and replace with a new one? Though I do like the thought of the Eternabond tape as well! Gotta love the path of least resistance. ;)

5. generok

generok Well-Known Member

6. dcbain

dcbain New Member

I'd go with self-amalgamating tape as an emergency measure then, as you planned, enlarge the hole for extra clearance and replace the hose. Tape will eventually give way and you just know that you won't notice until it's ruined everything under there! You may not even have to replace the hose if the extra clearance allows you to cut out the split section and refit it.