Sirius radio antenna

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by tlhdoc, Feb 5, 2011.

1. tlhdoc

tlhdoc New Member

I am planning on installing an outside antenna for my Sirius radio, on my hybrid camper. Any suggestions for a "better" antenna or if there are certain antennas to avoid? Thank you for your help. :)

2. merc

merc Member

the little round ones that came in my car kits have always worked good for me on my autos. Just pick up some 3M emblem tape (thin foam tape w/adhesive on both sides) from your favorite auto parts store to mount it if your rig doesn't have any ferrous metal for the magnet to stick to.

3. Coachman114

Coachman114 New Member

I've been using my Satellite radio with my pop up for years.
    I would recommend keeping the antenna mobile. I slide the antenna and wire out the canvas after set up and position it for the best reception. I usually attach it to to outer edge of the canvas where it curves, this gives you some aiming ability. If you affix it permanently to the camper and your site is wooded you may not get a signal.

4. benfrench

benfrench Woodbridge, VA

I agree with Coachman114. I have had issues getting a signal when the site is wooded so not have a permanetly atttached antenna is the way I would go.

5. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

we usually just flip it up on the awning top, or the bunk end top.

now since you are doing this on a hybrid, just place it on the roof top by an edge where it is most receptive....

we use the one that came with the sirius BOOM box, which is also the same as the car round ones.

6. tlhdoc

tlhdoc New Member

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have been using the antenna that came with my boom box. I was hoping to find an antenna that would draw a better signal, since I want to attach it to the roof and won't be able to "aim" it. I purchased an extra cradle and power cord so I can mount the cradle mounted in the trailer and leave it there. I have been using the boom box in the camper, but it takes up a lot of space. With having the cradle, power cord, and antenna mounted in the camper I will be able to play the Sirius through the campers stereo. Mounting an antenna on the roof is to make it easier for me. If I am at a campsite where I can't get signal, I can always use the boom box antenna. I will leave that antenna in the camper as a back up.

So back to my original question...Is there a better antenna? I was wondering about a marine antenna???

7. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

8. ricko

ricko Member

I picked up an extra magnetic mount antenna with a 15' cord. I can place it just about anywhere. All you need is decent southern exposure.

I think I paid $10 for it.

Ricko

9. tlhdoc

tlhdoc New Member

I won't always have good exposure, that is why I am trying to find out if some antennas work better than others.