Site cost in PA

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by Bluedogz, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Bluedogz

Bluedogz Member

Browsing le interwebs in search of places to camp In PA...

It seems the going rate per night is $35-42? Seriously?

2. Popiworks

Popiworks Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

Quarryville Yogi Bear Resort is $75.00 but you get use of the facilities which are terrific and it is the cleanest place ever.

3. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

4. Bluedogz

Bluedogz Member

Not $75 a night?

5. Popiworks

Popiworks Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

$75.00 was last years price. See below for 2 kids 2 adults. First week in June:
    YogiBear.jpg

6. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Looks like the PA state parks has a fee for everything. I need a calculator to figure out how much a site costs.

As far as 89 bucks for that Yogi park? I don't see me going there, either.

7. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Sounds like you took a few years off from camping? ;)

PA state parks are on the expensive side, but cheaper than a Premium Site at Fort Wilderness (Disney). This Jan we'll pay $125 for a night and I will be surprised if there's not another $10+in fees/taxes etc. :shocked: I would not pay that much all the time, but we needed to spend a night in the area waiting for a site at Silver Springs state park to open up, so we decided to do FW since we had never been. (Been to Disney a bunch, just never FW) The only site they had available was a Premium site. I suspect my Aliner will be surrounded by class A's and/or big 5th wheels). :smiley: We'll use the boat shuttles, have dinner at Disney Springs, etc.

GA/SC/NC SP sites were all relatively cheap if I recall correctly from last years winter trips. FL SP parks are not too bad but it is sometimes tough to get into the ocean front parks - especially Bahia Honda (managed to get lucky and stay there a couple years ago).

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I would take state park and national parks over private any day. The kiddo loves this one resort campground that costs $65 a night. We don't go often, but at least once a year. State parks without water and electric is cheaper and sometimes quieter. Some state parks are trying to meet the needs of big rigs by including water, sewer, and electricity which costs $$$. I don't need all the fancy stuff. I am happy with just the site itself although 30 amp power is my next option.

9. Bluedogz

Bluedogz Member

Yeah, the state parks are more what I had in mind. I'll bring my own amenities, thank you... that's the point.

rich2 likes this.
  10. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

11. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Do not forget the Division of Forestry parks (in Fl., I do not know about other states) they have some pretty nice parks, also National Parks such as Salt Springs Fl. Park nice park and reasonable too) Good luck and Happy Camping

12. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Our total for the rally is $82 after fee and Senior discount. Friday through Monday. That's for site 116, listed as "Modern, Electric"

13. campagain

campagain Active Member

Muddy Run is $32.50

14. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Promised Land SP is nice. We stayed at pickerel point in 2016. Unfortunately, it was only for one night as this was just a stopping over point as we were heading from Boston to IN. But, the kids did get a swim in at the beach before we headed out, showers are very nice and laundry and so on there. We will be back for a longer stay at some point. PA is a bit more expensive for various amenities, but they don't ding you for a daily fee to enter the park itself.

We will be staying at a SP in CO (Cherry Creek) for a couple of days next year and fee is only $18 for site w/o elec, but it is $9 every day you stay just to enter the park, so effectively $27.

15. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

I get the Senior discount as well, which surprised me since I’m from Ontario. I just showed the regular rate, since the Senior rate won’t apply to all.
    FYI, I also purchased the Maryland Senior’s Pass for $20 at the 2016 Maryland Rally. It’s good for life.

16. drosengrant

drosengrant One Day at a Time

I am staying in Promise Land State Park (Pickerel Point) for two nights Dec 1-3 and it is 72 dollars total. That is with electricity and up to 5 people and my dog.

17. jeicher

jeicher Member

Yes, the PA State Parks are getting fancier. In the old days it was just tents and occasionally a pop-up. Now days the bulk of the business is some sort of RV that want modern amenities or they will stay at a private cg outside the park. PA State Parks are under a lot of pressure due to budget constraints and are constantly looking for ways to generate revenue - The campground becomes a source. So far DCNR has resisted charging a day-use fee like is done in many other states and I hope the PA State Parks continue to be free. As a volunteer at our local park we strive to make the park a place for low cost family friendly outdoor activity. The state government keeps reducing their budget so the low-cost part becomes increasingly difficult.

18. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Rocky Gap State Park is really nice. It's in MD, but the western panhandle that borders PA. Worth checking out. It was my favorite place when we lived up that way.

Jojack likes this.
  19. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

First where do you camp? In Virginia State Parks go from $20 to $35 for in state and $24-$41 for out of state. Va State Parks was voted the best parks in the country. I have camped in Pa, MD, VA, NC State Parks. Most are all about the same in the costs. If you want to do private campgrounds start at $35 to over $100 a night depending on the campground, location, and what they offer.

20. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

You are just getting old like me and everything seems expensive. Like when you would hear old guys complaining and saying that they used to go to a movie for twenty five cents. If I bring my family of five to a movie and everyone gets a drink and a pop corn. I am spending about $110.00. That is three nights camping at $35 a night.