Site Savers

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by froggie, Jul 28, 2014.

1. froggie

froggie New Member

We had a great 4 nights last week at our favorite National Forest campground. All sites here are first come first serve. We were lucky to be able to go up during the week because by Friday afternoon it was packed with the exception of some rather unlevel primitive sites. The premium site in the campground is a double site that backs up to the river. Some camper had pulled an rv into this site on Tuesday, set out some towels and water, and turned the ac and outdoor light on. They did not come back to occupy the site until Friday afternoon. There is not a ranger stationed at this cg because administrators at the district level had not backed the last one up when campers broke the 14 day limit rule. Needless to say, we campers who follow rules were really aggravated by these "site savers." Anyone else dealt with rude "site savers" out there?

2. RichN

RichN New Member

I have to deal with this all the time. Entire campsites are "saved", the worst being the week before Labor Day weekend (Learned one time, never again).

We like to go camping in the Gallatin National Forest, $5 a night with just vault toliets, pack in and pack out, no water. I guess half of Montana does too. It is an hour and a half drive on forest roads to get to these sites, and to find them "pre-reserved" is BS.

3. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

NC state parks had that problem until they instituted reservations. If someone was saving a site you could notify the park staff, especially if it was a cooler and a couple camp chairs saving the site. The staff would remove the items after one day.

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

In most of the places I've been you can't save a site for yourself in the future or for someone else who hasn't arrived yet unless you pay for it.

5. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

If it's reserved and paid for then they aren't breaking any rules. They aren't savers if it is paid for as it is occupied whether they are there or not. Now if they are over 14 days on the same site I'd be miffed at that. I guess that's the benefit of being local enough to be able to get there first.

To me the site savers that I hear people running into is the group that is saving a site or 2 for their buddies that are planning to come down later (who may or may not show up). If I ran into that situation I would ask if it were paid for and tell them if it were not by the time I got back up after looking at the sites and determined that was my favorite they may be out of luck on holding it - but would more than likely not get that one in fear of retaliation all weekend long.

6. EV2

EV2 Member

One of our favorites state that if site does not have a resident overnight, equipment is subject to being removed.

7. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Our Provincial parks require that you have a habitable structure on a unreserved site. A cooler or camp chair is not considered habiting the campsite and is not allowed even if it is paid for.

8. joet

joet Well-Known Member

This is a common problem in the WVSP system. All you need is a cooler on a table and pay your fees

9. Unstable_Tripod

If you pay for the site it is yours whether you occupy it or not.

10. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Most Army Corp campgrounds have a policy that even if you pay in advance for a reservation, you have to show up and occupy the site by checkout time of the day following the reservation date. If you do not show by then you forfeit the site and all funds paid. That way the earliest someone can "save" a site is 24 hours.

11. Unstable_Tripod

It's true that many reservation systems operate that way but the OP's question was about first come, first served sites, not reservation sites. She also pointed out that there is no ranger at the campground to enforce any rules or settle any disputes.

12. xshield

xshield New Member

Similiar discussion happening here: http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=86977.0;topicseen

It's clearly frustating to see someone save a site and not use it. It bothers me but I try to convince myself that something prevented them from being able to use the site of get there right away. If that doesn't calm me down I usually throw thier stuff in the woods and mark thier site. Just kidding... [}:)] [:D]

13. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

I guess here is the question I have is why would anyone be more upset over an unoccupied site if it's paid for? Keep in mind I haven't done this but have a primitive site picked out and will do it to be sure I get where I want one of these days.

If the site is paid for before you get there just because somebody's not on it doesn't mean it should be fair game because they aren't using it. If it's within the rules of the particular campground that all you need is a tent, cooler, etc to show that it is occupied along with payment then everyone has the same expectation of availability.

Say I am going to be able to camp this weekend and have my favorite site. I know it will go fast so I go down after work on Tuesday and reserve the site that I want. I might be ok waiting until Wednesday but I want to be sure I get that spot. I won't be there until Friday. I don't mind throwing the extra $60 or so down to guarantee that I have the spot that I want. The parks system doesn't mind having the extra $40 for the Tuesday and Wednesday nights that would have gone unoccupied until the first guy got there to set up typically on Thursday morning. The guy that shows up Wednesday has no expectation that any site will be available. It would suck in general not to get the site you want when you think you'll be the first guy in but why does it bother you more if they aren't there?

The reservation window got me this year. I logged on at the 6 month and somebody had reserved the 2 favorite sites that I wanted for the Wednesday night through the weekend. I beat them there Thursday evening. I wasn't upset; they played the game better than i did.

14. egapylime

egapylime Member

In this instance, I would be one of those "site savers." But not for days at a time. I plan to take the pup down Thursday night because this particular campground is small and fills very easily by Friday. I will pay for Thursday, as well as Sunday, even though I won't be staying on Sunday, so I can have a later check out.

I guess in my opinion, which is stated above by others, if it's paid for, it's your site.

15. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

What's unclear here is if the site is paid for or not.

If it's paid for... sorry, but whether he uses it or now, it's his (up to the 14 day limit anyway). He's obviously willing to pay for several unneeded days in order to get the site he wants. Would it be any better if he commuted to work from there and slept there at night?

Just like a hotel room... you need to be there the night of checkin, but after that nobody cares if you're actually using it, so long as you've paid.