Six days in Northern Michigan

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by RhinoDave, Aug 19, 2013.

1. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

The DW and I set off last Monday for a Mon- Sun trip to a couple of state forest campgrounds. One was to a campground we first visited last year and one was a campground we had talked about and decided to tryout. First up was Tomahawk Creek Flooding. The unit we stayed in had 24 sites in two loops. Since we were there Mon -Thurs. There was only three sites occupied and we were the only ones in our loop. I took along our generator and had hopes of not using it at all but it got a little chilly at night so between the water pump, lights and furnace fan, my little group 24 battery needed a little help. Since there was no one near us, I didn't feel any guilt in running the genset for awhile.
    Our arrival;
    [​IMG]
    Campground view of all our fellow campers. [:D]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    View of our campsite looking towards the lake. There is a small trail to lake access but it was a little mucky. We just used the boat launch.
    [​IMG]
    It was fun getting back to a little campfire cooking. Had to blow the dust off the cast iron skillet and the tripod grill. Bacon and eggs......yummm. I did the toast on the stovetop as it was a little easier to control the toast while cooking the eggs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The flooding was nice and quiet with only a very few other boaters out on it while we were kayaking. The drown trees were fun to navigate through and supported a large population of turtles.
    [​IMG]
    The loons at night were a little eerie but relaxing to listen to along with the total absence of any human noises other than our own. We never left the campground during our stay and we really hated to go but we also wanted to checkout the other campground on our list. There are more pictures in my albums if interested. The separation between campsites was very very nice and there could easily have been one or two sites added between each one.

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Ya gotta love an empty campground!

3. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

On Thursday we moved on to Ossineke SFCG on Lake Huron and about ten miles South of Alpena. We had some reservations about going here and they were somewhat well founded as I'll describe later. The sites were much closer together along the North end where the sites are closest to the water. Some sites did have good separation along the South loop and on the south end of the north loop. The turnarounds at the ends of each loop are very tight and large units would have trouble navigating them. I just barely got around the loop at the South end loop.
    Our site #8;
    [​IMG]
    It's a good 80-100 yards to the lake from the back of our site where the downed log is at.
    This is a view of the sites to our North on Thursday. No separation but the sites are fairly large. Some of the sites are backwards with the tables and firepits on the back side of a camper. Okay for tents.
    [​IMG]
    The campground host was very nice but spent most of the time gone. We were camped directly across from her so we thought the weekend would be quiet. We did a little touring on Friday visiting both New and Old Presque Isle lighthouses North of Alpena. Forgot to take the camera so we have pictures on our cell phones that I haven't figured out how to download yet.
    Friday night was very quiet and there were only a few campers in our end of the park and no one next to us on either side.

A few pictures of our campsite and the lakeview in front of our site:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Saturday we headed out onto Lake Huron in Thunder Bay. We kayaked down to a small rivermouth and back to the campsite. It was a little windy so we didn't go very far but it was extremely pleasant to be out on the water.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As fortune would have it, the trip had to have a little balance. It was such a great week that the final night had to add a small dose of reality. Being close to a large town brought us a one night camper there for the meteor shower. He had all the ingredients for a sleepless night. Small kids, a young and large bloodhound that the kids delighted in tormenting. A very large cooler of beer and invitations to a few friends to drop in for the evening. Parked right next to us for an evening of partying. Campground host??? No where to be found. We gave up at around midnight and put in earplugs and turned up the volume on the noise machine. There is a reason I get as far away from population centers as I can. I guess they were nice as people generally are but no consideration for other campers. No loud music but the beer fueled conversations kept getting louder as the evening progressed. They also left the dogs deposits for the next campers.
    Here's a picture of the aftermath. Doesn't show the rest of the beer cans scattered around the rest of the campsite and the cars.
    [​IMG]
    My general impression of this campground is that it is a party spot for the weekenders in the area and any camping here in the future will be during the week or someplace else.

4. garzanium

garzanium New Member

Looks like a lot of fun-esp. the kayaking!

5. vanjr

vanjr New Member

I love to read these northern Michigan trips. Especially the first location. I love the "abandoned campground"! Thank you for the pics and for sharing.

6. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Looks great! (except the TT)

7. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Looks like a great trip Rhino! We really liked Tomahawk Creek when we were there. So cool that you heard some loons and got to kayak.

8. marrobinson

marrobinson New Member

I think I will add Tomahawk Creek to our list! Thanks for the narrative! [:D]