Six Mile Lake Review

Discussion in 'Ontario' started by Canoe2fish, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Canoe2fish

Canoe2fish Member

Our first trip to this park was through the week and we were surprised to find it nearly empty. Puzzled as to why it was tough to book for the middle of July, the staff informed that they are busy on weekends but not weekdays. We had neighbors only one night. If you don't like crowds, this park is IT!

Site specifically, it was a bit open but much more private than most here. It gets some sun through the day, so a nice mix of sun and shade. Many sites are super tiny with zero privacy. There is a bit of a slope where rain flows through but not really an issue. Site 159 across from us was even more private. Note that this park has a handful of beautiful lakefront sites. Not very private and on the main route to the majority of the campground, but worth the trade off in my opinion. 27, 28 and 50 looked fantastic.

The park store is quite nice with a decent selection of food, gear and some clothing. We found that all the staff in this park were very friendly and helpful. The comfort station is adequate but not very well cleaned, especially considering it wasn't busy. I'd say some better efforts and upgrade are warranted in this respect.

The park beaches are small but tidy with a sandy entry with tons of canoes and paddle boats available for rent. For the boaters, there is lots of docking available and a decent launch. The walking trails are very nice, especially the David Milne loop which takes you past a nice little pocket lake and several old beaver dams. The main lake if you are a boater is fantastic. You can reserve a slip for your boat or rent one at the local marina. (The marina however was not cheap and had rather unfriendly service, but available to you nonetheless) You could spend a month exploring every nook and cranny of this large lakes fingers and bays. Bears at the time of our visit were not an issue as they hadn't seen one there in 2 years, but we were fortunate enough to see and get a few photos of one nearby. We also observed a couple of foxes and a pair of loons diving and feeding their young along side of our boat.

With the exception of being on the water, there is not a tremendous amount to do nearby outside of the park. The closest "should see" is the Marine railway at Big Chute which is only about 20-30 minutes away. A nice long driving/shopping loop I'd recommend is up through Bala to Port Carling, then through Port Sandfield to Rosseau and over to 169/Lake Joseph Road/400 and back. Lots of scenery and shops, especially in Port Carling. This loop is a full day's trip if you stop at the main hubs. (Port Carling being the largest/busiest)

Because camping means something different to everyone, my rating of 3 may not be accurate to others. If not for the highway noise audible anywhere in the park, night or day, I'd likely rate it as a 4. All in all, it was a nice visit though we will likely reserve our trips here for boating/fishing specific weekends or quick getaways.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review.. I have heard that on the weekend the party starts so to speak ... but a very nice quiet place through the week..

3. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

Yep been there several times usually on one of the waterfront sites . Totally agree with the 3 star rating , the highway noise kinda sucks as does the goose poop all over the beaches , oh and the skeeters are brutal at times . Great park to go out and explore the area though , Bala is always a great stop and even Parry Sound isn't that far .

4. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Great review! Thanks for the insight.

5. bmcilravey

bmcilravey Lovin' the pup!

We stayed here last year and I would give it the same rating. Park is clean and tidy but is very dense. A lot of sites near the road and very minimal on the "to do" list. The lake is actually nice with lots of fish. Biggest issue for me was the. Lise from the 400 and the Thursday-Sunday crowd turned the park into a party hole.

Glad we went but no need to go back. However, don't let that deter you from going, it's close and east to get to so for a trip mon-Thursday it would be fine.

Excellent review though Canoe2fish.

6. Canoe2fish

Canoe2fish Member

Thanks, I tried to be impartial. Our stay was Sunday night to Thursday, so your comment mixed with the park staff's could be bang on about it being party mode. I think we will avoid weekends there.