Skamper popup trailer quality?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by txmnjim, Oct 9, 2019.

which used camper has best quality?

1. Palomino

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Jayco

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Starcraft

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Destiny

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Skamper

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Viking

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  7. Rockwood

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. txmnjim

txmnjim New Member

hello all,
    i have found a pretty good shape 1979 Skamper popup for a good
    price, but wondering if i should go newer? there seems to be quite
    a few ones like, Destiny, Viking, Jayco and Palomino much newer (early
    to mid 90s) but about same price. is the quality of a Skamper that
    much better or should i go newer? thanks for any advice.
    jim

2. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

If you can get a newer camper for the same price, and it has everything you want, go for it!

A lot of the older manufacturers are kaput, so finding replacement parts can be an adventure in itself. I've seen several people on here get a camper from the 60s or 70s and rebuild the entire thing.

Sjm9911 and txmnjim like this.
  3. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

As mentioned above, parts, namely lift system parts can sometimes be a challenge to find find for the older ones. As you can see in my signature line, I have old stuff so trust me on that.

As for the question, “Are Scamps any good” I Think they did ok. I lived in an early eighties hard sided bunkhouse model Scamp in a work camp for three summers or so. It held up ok, and IMO was put together as well as any other, maybe a bit better.

Good luck with your decision.

txmnjim likes this.
  4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

I don't know if you have much choice to go older!

The magic question is, "Did the previous owner(s) take care of it?" If the answer is "No", then it doesn't matter if that particular brand is considered "better".

By the way, I am kinda partial to the Skamper brand. My parents bought one in 1972 and we camped all over the country in it.

Camper054, Sjm9911 and txmnjim like this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Sadly in my opinion they are all about equal in quality which isn’t that great in popups. For a used camper it entirely depends on how the previous owner maintained it. I’ve seen a year 2000 popup that was falling down to the ground Because the owner didn’t maintain it and 1990 camper in surpurb shape because the owner took excellent care of it. Really has nothing to do with which brand is better than the other when they are used.
    Like mentioned finding parts will be a big challenge and finding an RV repair shop willing to fix it another challenge. So if your not handy do keep that in mind. Rockwoods I believe are still making popups so you might have better luck finding parts with those.

6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 11.53.58 AM.png

txmnjim likes this.
  7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

For a thirty year old camper it doesn't matter who made it. Newer ones should have better equipment.

Arlyn Aronson, Sjm9911 and txmnjim like this.
  8. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

If condition is the same, newer appliances are usually better. But if you aren't going new enough to have DSI appliances, it might not matter. (I did have a '74 Apache which had a nicer fridge than any other low-wall popup I've seen: it had a freezer. You pretty much have to get a highwall model to get a fridge in newer popups.)

Older popups can have features the new ones don't. They come in different sizes (6' wide, some of them) and with weird colors, patterns, and configurations. The cool factor can be really high. They can also be really gross. :)

At a certain point, textiles will start to fail. Depending on your climate, an old Skamper might be there.

txmnjim likes this.
  9. txmnjim

txmnjim New Member

thanks for the replies. i haven't heard from the person that had the Skamper (maybe because i asked direct
    questions about it's condition?) but there are many deals on Facebook Marketplace! i may just have to put this
    on the back burner for awhile as the wifey isn't on board with a pup...believe it or not she says we should stick
    to a tent, which is what we have been camping in for the last 25 years! oh well, i'll work on her for awhile and i
    bet she'll come around ;)

10. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Eventually she's gonna want a potty for the middle of the night and then you're ready to shop. (It happens to everyone.)

txmnjim likes this.
  11. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

@txmnjim , good luck. For me, it was my DW who initiated us to look for a pop up. I was okay with the tent, but kids are growing older and we are also getting tired of airbeds - so, she financed our first pop up! I totally agree with what is being said in terms if the PO took good care or not. This is what matters the most if you are looking for an used one. One other important thing is if the pop up was kept indoor or outdoor, which can make a HUGE difference in the condition - specially roof, side walls, tires, etc., etc., etc.....good luck.
    MC

txmnjim likes this.